Talk

Advanced search

its only a frigging £1

(111 Posts)

a few of the mums think its unreasonable for the school to ask us to pay £1 a week for the children to have some fresh fruit everyday.

am i the only one who thinks you'd be hard pushed to buy fresh fruit for your child for a whole week for under £1?

tight arses

worraliberty Sun 11-Sep-11 15:33:05

Depends really

If you have say 4 kids at the school...that's £16 per month

If you already buy a lot of fruit at home, that's going to hurt some budgets.

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Sun 11-Sep-11 15:33:30

YANBU a £1 seems reasonable for me, for fresh fruit for a week!

freesiaLiliy Sun 11-Sep-11 15:33:48

sounds like a bargain to me, better than paying more to give them biscuits and crisps, all the schools where I live run a similar scheme and the kids sit down and eat it as a social event before break. even kids whose parents insist they won't eat it actually do and find they like it!

eaglewings Sun 11-Sep-11 15:33:54

Fine if you only have one child and can already pay all your bills.
Yet another stress if you have less money coming in than going out

itisnearlysummer Sun 11-Sep-11 15:34:08

What age are the children? KS1 children get fruit provided free of charge anyway.

So presuming the school aren't charging them for this fruit, YANBU.

gillybean2 Sun 11-Sep-11 15:35:22

We had this at ds's primary school. And it's usually the ones who can afford it (who have the weekly takeaways and forign holidays) who refuse to pay and let the PTA pick up the tab.

Ask them what they think is a reasonable amount to pay then if they think £1 is unreasonable. It's better for them to make some contribution to the cost than none at all...

yeh i suppose, but most of the ones complaining it is their only child in school!

i suppose the ones with older children are just used to paying?
still not enough to tantrum over lol smile

Crosshair Sun 11-Sep-11 15:35:46

Yanbu but some people have money worries and paying out for extra stuff can seem like a never ending thing.

slartybartfast Sun 11-Sep-11 15:36:43

surely they can/shoudl bring their own fruit it, i probably would complain also.

freesiaLiliy Sun 11-Sep-11 15:36:53

could school let parents who don't want to pay provide their own fruit then if they are buying it already at home as worraliberty suggests

gillybean2 Sun 11-Sep-11 15:37:04

itisnearlysummer - At ds's school the KS1 dc did get it free. It was felt that it was of great benefit and the KS2 dc wanted to continue with it. KS2 is not free.

EVEn if you do have 4 dc at the school it is unlikely you will be paying for all 4 alt the same time as it's only KS2 that would be paying.

itisnearlysummer Sun 11-Sep-11 15:37:47

DS got known as the twenty-quid-kid for a while as every letter home from school seemed to require a £20 response!

Oh how we long for those days now when the letters are for £900 skiing trips!

worraliberty Sun 11-Sep-11 15:38:31

Perhaps it's the fact a lot of parents get tired of paying out for...

Sponsorship forms
Non uniform days
Raffle tickets
Tickets just to see their own child in the school concert
Etc...

There seems (in some schools) to be a never ending list of things to pay out for.

troisgarcons Sun 11-Sep-11 15:38:36

It's provided by the government. I hate it when schools try and tap parents for short falls in their budgets.

Im sulking because we've been asked to pay for swimming lessons. Again its curriculum compulsory. Actually, I think it's bloody outrageous (and I never swear)

gillybean2 Sun 11-Sep-11 15:39:49

slartybartfast if the dc bring their own fruit they:
1) get very upset if it gets forgotten or not provided
2) parents don't want the hassle of remembering it every day
3) there is a huge difference in what each family will provide so in some way it is better they all have the same. - think watermelon, strawberries, mango re yet another apple
4) They try different things at school that they would turn their nose up too at home (ds did at any rate)

deemented Sun 11-Sep-11 15:39:57

DS2, aged 7 and in Yr2 pays £1 a week for fruit.

DD, aged 3 and in Nursery pays 65p a week for fruit.

my DS is 4 so KS1 and we have to pay! but i dont mind smile prob be a diff story if i had more in the school! i gotta go for an hour as my brother has just turned up smile

slartybartfast Sun 11-Sep-11 15:40:02

plus its also the finding that elusive pound coin, every monday morning, i shoudl imagine.

itisnearlysummer Sun 11-Sep-11 15:40:11

I don't think £1 a week for fruit in ks2 sounds too bad at all. I'd be happy to pay, but then I've only got 1 in primary.

eaglewings Sun 11-Sep-11 15:40:40

Only free in KS1

Cocoflower Sun 11-Sep-11 15:41:28

Believe or not maybe that £1 really does count for some people who need to budget to the last penny

Maybe the are dreading the guilt factor of not being able to pay or the stress of rejigging their budget

gillybean2 Sun 11-Sep-11 15:41:43

freesiaLiliy - it causes far less problems if everyone has the same item and the school still have to provide for those who's parents forget (genuinely or deliberatly)

deemented Sun 11-Sep-11 15:41:48

Oh, and it's not a whole piece of fruit either - it's a choice between half an apple or half a banana.

deemented Sun 11-Sep-11 15:43:14

And another thing!

If fruit money is not in on Monday morning, then the child does not have fruit for the entire week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now