Talk

Advanced search

aibu to wonder why a tinkers cuss is worse than say...a tailors cuss?

(6 Posts)
Tortington Sun 11-Sep-11 14:58:56

i think this is cussist?

Scootergrrrl Sun 11-Sep-11 14:59:33

Or tinkerist?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 11-Sep-11 15:00:25

Tinker's cuss... surely, if we're being pedantic?

BedHog Sun 11-Sep-11 15:13:41

'A tinker's damn is a British expression of contempt for something considered insignificant. In common usage, the expression is used this way: "I don't give a tinker's damn what the Vicar thinks", or sometimes shortened to, "I don't give a tinker's about the Vicar." In this context, the speaker is expressing contempt for the local clergyman and his opinion. A tinker's curse was considered of little significance because tinkers were reputed to swear habitually.' (Wikipedia)

However, if we're comparing cusses of tinkers, tailors, soldiers and spies, I would have thought a soldiers cuss would be equally prolific, hence the term 'swearing like a trooper'.

The term 'tinker' being a slang term for an Irish traveller (unsure of the level of offensiveness as it's not a term I've heard for many years) and the current most famous traveller being Paddy 'Big Brother winner' Doherty - a man who rarely swore and referred to people as 'sausages' - leads me to believe that the proliferance of 'tinkers cusses' has been overestimated.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 11-Sep-11 16:38:52

Of course, worst of all is 'tinker's custard'.... that's truly offensive.

Tortington Sun 11-Sep-11 18:23:50

tinkers custard? would be fucking good custard me things wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now