Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

That it disgusts me to find mice droppings in babies room? (boak)

(32 Posts)
Snufflebabe Sun 11-Sep-11 08:28:53

I pulled out my babies cot last night to pick up something I'd dropped, and I found mice droppings. Not a lot, but yuk!

Has anyone had this problem, and how did you go about sorting it? Are the plug in things ok to use in a babies room ( she has just turned one).

Has anyone used the peppermint oil remedy? Is this ok for children?

Sorry for such a yukky topic on a Sunday morning.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 11-Sep-11 08:51:36

If you think you have mice you have to kill them with traps or poison, not anoint them with oil. hmm Mice will stick to skirting boards so you can tuck your traps well out of harms way. The council will come out for pest-control. They can do it safely

HarryHoleCameToTea Sun 11-Sep-11 08:57:24

We use a plug in deterrent thing in our 2 year olds room and it's never bothered him at all. I like knowing that any mice that do creep back in will stay away from him though!

BigHairyGruffalo Sun 11-Sep-11 09:01:34

Don't kill them. Find a humane trap and put them outside.

walkingonthebeach Sun 11-Sep-11 09:02:44

Oh how awful for you, I am very frightened of mice and rats and dread this happening to me.

In early/mid autumn, mice and rats do tend to try and find indoor habitats and these are usually barns or sewers (ugh!) or sheds but they will if they can invade someone's home. Mice like chocolate so traps with chocolate can work. Do you have a cat, or is there a neighbour's cat you can 'borrow'?

I think though given you have a baby I would call pest control as they will get rid. The problem with traps is it only takes one smartish mouse and before you know it there will be hundreds of the things!

scuzy Sun 11-Sep-11 09:06:23

oh OP how awful! get on it straight away ... not meaning to frighten you but there is never more than one. obviously wash all cot bedding etc and persoally would move it to another room if you can for the mean time. i find those plu in repellent things good too. is your little one crawling? be careful puting down poison.

and god speed! i dont envy you.

coming into winter there is going to be more of them. try find out how they are getting in.

scuzy Sun 11-Sep-11 09:07:09

*meant never JUST one

Tortu Sun 11-Sep-11 09:24:19

Snuffle, huge sympathy.

When my baby was about four months, we realised we had both bed bugs and mice. We knew that the only way to get rid of the bedbugs was through spraying the whole room with chemicals (he still slept with us), but if we didn't do this, we'd have to deal with the bugs. Which is worse? We lived with the bugs for another two months.
Trust me, at this point, wasn't even bothered about the mice! I eventually moved out with the baby for a fortnight. We got the room sprayed and I let the chemicals work for long enough so that we could move his cot into another room- one that was infested with mice.

No bugs any more (getting rid of them is a NIGHTMARE), but we've just got rid of the mice now. How did we do it? I spent hours crawling round the floor like a mouse frantically polyfilling every possible hole. We put the plugins in every room and traps everywhere. We probably bought about twenty (and we live in a small flat). We used the droppings to track their movements and put them in popular areas. Stuff this humane trap nonsense. You've just found the droppings in your baby's cot! Kill the little sods.

I actually cried at various points. Key moments included:

1. Pest control telling me that everything we owned which was 'dryclean only' needed to be drycleaned (bedbugs cost us at least £700 to get rid of, I reckon).
2. Looking at the mountain of washing when you've emptied every single item of clothing you own onto the lawn
3. Feeling good that I'd started some of the washing and that at least I had enough bugfree clothes for my baby.....only to find mousedroppings on a newly washed bib.

Gah. Sympathy your way. It is vile.

Claw3 Sun 11-Sep-11 09:25:01

Years ago, I found mouse droppings in my ds's cot and on his clothes in the drawers in the same room. I got a cat and have never had the same problem again.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sun 11-Sep-11 09:26:25

Urgh! I second getting humane traps. We used to get mice a lot as we have cats that would bring them in and then let them go in the house.

I once went into my DDs room, moved her changing mat and a mouse ran out from underneath it! Scared the shit out of me.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sun 11-Sep-11 09:28:45

Tortu Bloody hell! Can you see bed bugs then? I thought they were so small they were invisible to the naked eye.

Iwouldifihadthetime Sun 11-Sep-11 09:30:48

We had them in the playroom a while ago - I phoned the council pest control and they sorted it with poison - it was in childproof containers so safe for my babies!

We sterilised everything and no problem since.

Good luck!

ratspeaker Sun 11-Sep-11 10:33:18

In spite of having a cat we got mice earlier this year
I didnt fancy using poison as the thought of dead mice rotting under the floor boards was a bit eeeurgh and the idea of traps gave me the heebie jeebies

We blocked up any place they might get in with brillo pads and put down cotton wool balls with drops of peppermint oil on
Seemed to do the trick

LoonyRationalist Sun 11-Sep-11 10:45:08

I loved in an old house in the middle of nowhere for years. There are only 2 things that deal with mice effectively :

1. A cat
2. Traps with poison evey 2m all around the perimeter of your home & in common mouse haunts within it.

Anyone who advocates peppermint oil / humane traps has never had a serious problem imo.

Also mice will find their way back easily if you let them out of a trap outside. When we (naively) started off with humane traps DH used to let them out in the middle of countryside at least 10 miles away so there was little chance of them making their way back. Let them out across the road & they'll be back in the house before you are.

NacMacFeegle Sun 11-Sep-11 10:59:19

We had to use poison, it was awful. Everything I owned had to be scrubbed, and they destroyed so much - all the Xmas decorations in the loft, lots of bedding in the hot press. Horrible.

Deal with it ASAP with extreme prejudice, no faffing about with plug ins, has to be poison and traps.

HughJarseJr Sun 11-Sep-11 11:02:10

traps

cornsylk Sun 11-Sep-11 11:03:57

get a cat

Solo Sun 11-Sep-11 11:10:38

IME, humane mouse traps do not work. Get snappy traps baited with chocolate.

biddysmama Sun 11-Sep-11 11:16:45

we had mice in a rented house and got pest control in, they told me humane traps only work if you take the mouse at lease 2 miles away from your house! pest control kept coming and putting poison down, we had traps that never caught anything,we got a cat and still we had mice... we ended up moving, pest control said some work needed doing on the jhouse and the landlord wouldnt do it

Mandy2003 Sun 11-Sep-11 11:57:35

Solo - my toddler DS could have lost a finger taking the chocolate out of a snappy trap! How he knew it was behind the TV cabinet I've no idea - has more of a superhuman sense of smell than any of the mice, who never ate the chocolate!

kerrymumbles Sun 11-Sep-11 12:00:09

somehow they figure out the humane traps.

speaking from personal experience. i think they double-team or something.

they must be killed and quickly before they begin reproducing.

TrillianAstra Sun 11-Sep-11 12:06:46

YABU to have posted this in AIBU when you are really asking for getting-rid-of-mice tips and not asking if it is unreasonable to be disgusted by mice droppings.

I'd recommend Good Housekeeping - not to suggest that your housekeeping is bad, it just seems like the best place to look for pest control advice.

EricNorthmansMistress Sun 11-Sep-11 12:24:52

Bedbugs vary in size but older ones are massive. You will probably need to get pest control in, I tried humane traps but never caught one, then after I woke up to a mouse running over my arm I called in the experts. Never been botheres since. Costs about £50 I think.

Solo Sun 11-Sep-11 12:24:58

Can't remember which topic I put my mouse arghhhhh!! in.
I had weeks of unwanted company; just one mouse (thankfully and not pg or was male), but those humane traps were expensive and a waste of money. Two snappy traps and a pile of poison when I went away for a week, et voila! one dead mouse in trap on my return.

aldiwhore Sun 11-Sep-11 12:31:50

Its not nice, but death is the only option.

We have mice in our outbuildings, but occassionally they come into the house, between traps and a killer cat they don't become a problem. They can stay in the outhouse for all I care (but if you release one into there, that's come from the house, they just come straight back in the house again) because where there's mice, there's unlikely to be rats, if they come in the house though, they die.

I still find it sad though, they're very pretty creatures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now