Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Or did they say years ago that they would not show the planes hitting the twin towers again in news reports?

(73 Posts)
pinkytheshrinky Sun 11-Sep-11 06:51:43

Have I imagined this or was there a decision made at some point about not actually showing the planes hitting the towers some years ago. I may have imagined this but although I know it is the anniversary and all, there were people on there and to keep on replaying it time and time again seems inappropriate.

As I type they are showing a slow mo version of the jet hitting the second tower....

Tee2072 Sun 11-Sep-11 07:05:15

I don't remember that at all and would be very surprised if it were true.

Mitmoo Sun 11-Sep-11 07:09:38

I remember hearing something about that in the dim and distant past, I think it was in the weeks immediately after the tragedy. I suppose they've reviewed in again with the passage of time.

I can still remember looking at the television screen and not believing what I was seeing. I have photos taken from the top of one of the towers obviously prior to this happening. Unbelievable to think I had stood where those people were losing their lives in such a horrific way.

I just hope that in some way this helps the relatives knowing that their loved ones are not forgotten. For all it will be a terrible time, that goes without saying.

Haven't a clue i'm afraid, I was only 10 when it happened.

Thumbwitch Sun 11-Sep-11 07:11:06

I was watching a documentary the other night about the children of 9/11 - those who lost parents in the attacks. One of the things that stood out for me was that they commented on having to deal with seeing the attacks again on the news every year on the anniversary - not only remembering their own loss but seeing in detail the collapse of the buildings, knowing that their parent was in there - making it all that bit more ghastly for them.

So I think you must be misremembering that, pinky - because they've done it every year, it seems (at least in America)

Mitmoo Sun 11-Sep-11 07:12:59

Then I am misremembering too because I do recall there was a time when they stopped showing the planes going into the side of the building. Clearly no longer the case, I think it was in the weeks after the tragedy.

pinkytheshrinky Sun 11-Sep-11 07:15:20

No I just asked my DH and he said yes there was an 'agreement' within
the media to stop showing the impact (because after all there are hundreds of people being vaporised at that moment!)and they did this for several years. I got married that week and remember it very clearly, part of me thought it was some kind of hoax because it was so unbelievable - seems silly now but i just could not get my head around it.

I do know in a sense it needs to be shown but repeating it time and time again just makes it more film like and surreal

pinkytheshrinky Sun 11-Sep-11 07:20:29

British media that is - and in my experience the Americans have a whole other way of dealing it is (as if their right) although trying to flog twin towers tea towels at ground zero is a bit much. I was also offered photographs of people jumping out of the buildings and people running away in the immediate aftermath of the collapses. I was actually going to Century 21 and hadn't planned on going to Ground Zero (as it feels a bit weird to me to be going there when I know no one who was involved in the tragedy) but got offered these things when passing the area - this was in Jan 2005 I think

mousymouse Sun 11-Sep-11 07:21:47

I can't watch the tv atm on any channel that shows news or documentaries. too upsetting for me.

Thumbwitch Sun 11-Sep-11 07:22:29

Wonder why they have changed their minds again then? Certainly the children talking on that documentary were saying that they have had to see the impact over and again through the years - they're not going to forget about it, are they, so time lapse can't be seen as sufficient excuse for showing it all again.

Bellavita Sun 11-Sep-11 07:23:30

Me neither mousy sad

pinkytheshrinky Sun 11-Sep-11 07:25:15

It is just possible that for the British Media taking a position on this 10 years ago it seemed important to them at the time as it was so fresh but now they can justify so people can be informed?

I have to say I do not like it - BBC playing it slow mo this morning was just appalling and horrible (as it should be i guess) - if i had seen it continually for 10 years perhaps the effect would not be so great?

Thumbwitch Sun 11-Sep-11 07:25:57

Have to say that I believe all the children in that documentary were American, so yes, it might have been very differently handled over there.

However, I have no doubt that there were some BRitish children affected as well - British people worked there too (and lots of other nationalities of course) - they would have the same horror of seeing the moment they lost their family members again on tv.

It all seems a little voyeuristic and rubbernecky to me - unnecessary and unfeeling.

Voidka Sun 11-Sep-11 07:30:13

I think that you are right OP. I was thinking that to myself too.

pinkytheshrinky Sun 11-Sep-11 07:30:50

Yes thumbwitch: voyeuristic is the word - you hit the nail on the head

Mitmoo Sun 11-Sep-11 07:32:13

The only point in its favour is that 10 years on there are a whole new generation of adults who may, (and I'm not personally convinced) need to be reminded so that we dont forget the lessons learned from that awful time and it should be said the awful loss of life that followed not only in the towers but in both in terms of our soldiers and the innocents who died in the resultant war.

I can't even begin to think about the death toll that was started on that horrendous day.

LtEveDallas Sun 11-Sep-11 07:34:50

We will almost certainly have wall to wall cartoon on today (interspersed with a bit of rugby) as I'd rather DD didn't see this. I remember the horror I felt the first time, I don't need to be reminded. We'll never forget them, the constant new is just too much.

PorkChopSter Sun 11-Sep-11 07:35:26

It's been a while since I've seen footage of people jumping - I thought there was some agreement about that.

pinkytheshrinky Sun 11-Sep-11 07:35:44

I wonder if it is more about justifying the resultant war? Cynical? moi? but seriously I am not sure why anyone needs to be reminded about it so graphically - I feel like the constant replaying just cheapens it really. I am just not sure what the lessons are that we can learn from seeing it again

pinkytheshrinky Sun 11-Sep-11 07:37:52

Well in the Daily Mail yesterday I think, there was an article saying the the Americans do not acknowledge that anyone jumped - they are only ever referred to as fallers, and in the ground zero exhibition they are tucked away shamefully in a corner such is the shame about 'suicide' (and I use this term very widely as I do not have another that is any more accurate) - in the Daily Mail report there were photos of the people falling through the air - horrible

Tee2072 Sun 11-Sep-11 07:38:32

I'm American and really have no memory of that so perhaps it was a BBC decision.

I cannot even imagine how horrific it would be to watch over and over knowing someone you love was dying as you watched.

My mom worked there in the 70s. I ate at least twice at Windows On The World, the fabulous restaurant at the top.

Mitmoo the 'on the scene' memories will die with those of us who lived during it. But I hope you are right that the reminder will not be lost.

pinkytheshrinky Sun 11-Sep-11 07:39:01

And there was footage this morning of someone standing on a window frame above the floors on fire, they did not show the jump but it was horrific because you know what is coming next

DragonsEx Sun 11-Sep-11 07:41:20

I don't remember a ban coming in about the planes hitting the towers, but I seem to remember they said they wouldn't show the pictures of the poor people jumping out the windows sad

Mitmoo Sun 11-Sep-11 07:44:07

I suppose pinky to think about how these evil creatures became so polluted with hate against the West, that they thought this was somehow, in some twisted way, for their greater good. I honestly can't get my head around it even now.

Perhaps Pinky it could be a cynical reminder that says the deaths of our soldiers have somehow been a sacrifice worth making as we have not had another terrorist attack on the scale of 9/11 and that Al-queda's activities have been disrupted?

I don't know I'm no political expert just trying to thing around the whys?

Of course we should never forget those people but those tributes to them are best told by the families left behind and how they've lived since their loss as has been shown on some programmes that I haven't been able to watch.

pinkytheshrinky Sun 11-Sep-11 07:52:30

To be clear: I am not in disagreement with honouring anyone who has died during the attack and subsequently in wars. There are however a lot of people (and I cannot comment in any informed way personally) who do not think that the subsequent wars have a lot to do with 9:11. A lot of people have commented that the original attack was a lot about America's foreign policy - to simplify it into good and bad people is not at all accurate. However that does not diminish the tragedy of all the lives that have been lost.

And no, there has not been another attack like this since but 11 years ago they would never have imagined that there could be an attack like this.

I just do not think that showing people being vaporised 100 times a day in news reel makes any difference to those tragedies - it just makes it film-like and diminishes it. The poor families and people involved it must turn their stomachs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now