Talk

Advanced search

More of a WWYD re Facebook friends?

(27 Posts)
SatisfiedOtter Sat 10-Sep-11 20:52:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheProvincialLady Sat 10-Sep-11 20:54:39

Ignore the request and don't take responsibility for other people's feelings. If someone tries to befriend people they met once at a party, they have to expect a certain amount of knockbacks.

Thingumy Sat 10-Sep-11 20:55:08

ignore

<shrug>

troisgarcons Sat 10-Sep-11 20:57:18

ignore

SatisfiedOtter Sat 10-Sep-11 20:57:31

Crosshair Sat 10-Sep-11 21:05:44

Ignore.

mummymeister Sat 10-Sep-11 23:12:18

Ignore. get off facebook altogether pick up a pen and paper and write letters. i have a whole stack of them from friends over the years and they cheer me up. can't say the same about f book.Start a f book backlash. tell everyone who tries to friend you that you dont want that this is what you are doing.

BatsUpMeNightie Sat 10-Sep-11 23:14:24

Have two FB accounts - you can add a * or anything to your name. Keep your personal one personal and add all comers to the spare one. If you can be arsed.

squeakytoy Sat 10-Sep-11 23:16:28

Have your profile as private, so that nobody can "search" you out, and if anyone asks you, say you dont do facebook.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 10-Sep-11 23:16:44

I had someone request me after ignoring me every day at school for a whole term. I denied it and blocked her. She gave me funny looks for a week!

A1980 Sat 10-Sep-11 23:18:24

I presume you're a grown woman and not a teenager?

This may sound harsh but your post reads as if it's been written by a 16 year old girl.

Grow up, get off facebook and converse with your friends and family individually via personal emails and letters. I refuse to join fb, it's pathetic.

amIbeingdaft Sat 10-Sep-11 23:21:47

I agree A1980. next thing she'll be joining forums, talking to strangers about random shit that has no relevance to her own life. Oh, wait...
hmm

kitya Sat 10-Sep-11 23:24:26

Do what I do and just reset your privacy settings so that no-one can search for you.

A1980 Sat 10-Sep-11 23:25:15

amIbeingdaft, it's this part of it that got me:

Every now and again I'll get a friend request from someone I vaguely know, which always makes me feel really awkward! I don't want to ignore the requset, as I wouldn't want them to feel crap,

Either she has a massively high opinion of herself or she really is 16 or younger?! I can't imagine a someone you vaguely know will be feeling like crap because you don't add them as a fb freind! grin

tethersend Sat 10-Sep-11 23:26:25

Just ignore- that way if they ever ask you, say you set up an account once but never use it.

DandyLioness Sat 10-Sep-11 23:29:16

fedupofnamechanging Sat 10-Sep-11 23:31:07

I think lots of people would feel a bit weird ignoring friend requests - it does feel rude to refuse, however illogical that may be.

FB may be awful in many ways (status boasts and fucking farmville etc spring to mind), but it is useful for sharing family news/photo's if you have relatives living abroad.

My baby brother works abroad and I use fb to check he's not lying in a ditch somewhere. it does have some uses.

TrillianAstra Sat 10-Sep-11 23:32:42

As you are asking WWYD it may interest you to know that there is a WYYD topic.

There is also a Facebook topic.

Just saying.

TAMPONS.

usualsuspect Sat 10-Sep-11 23:33:31

Ignore

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sat 10-Sep-11 23:39:45

I think that's harsh A1980. Facebook can be handy for keeping in touch with your real friends, so the way the OP is using it is the mature way, not the immature way of these 16 yos you speak of who add everyone they have ever met.

squeakytoy Sat 10-Sep-11 23:41:08

Come on, in fairness, most 16 year olds have 896 close friends! grin

Purplegirlie Sun 11-Sep-11 00:46:42

If you don't like the person enough to let them be on your facebook friends then why are you worrying about what they'll think if you decline their request, OP?

grumplestilskin Sun 11-Sep-11 00:50:46

some people request dozens of people the vaguely (or don't ) know every time they go on there! IMO those people wont even notice if you decline. these people probably have 700 fb friends

If you hardly know them then I doubt they're on the edge of their seat waiting and checking to see if you've added them yet!

Some people just request anyone they have a few mutual friends with, they're WAYY to busy requesting more people to notice who hasn't accepted!

SatisfiedOtter Sun 11-Sep-11 07:15:06

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sun 11-Sep-11 07:54:44

Purplegirlie If you don't like the person enough to let them be on your facebook friends then why are you worrying about what they'll think if you decline their request, OP?

Just because she isn't close friends with this person doesn't mean she isn't going to be concerned about their feelings. She just sounds nice and quite sensitive to me.

(SatisfiedOtter I didn't know there was a WWYD either!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now