Talk

Advanced search

or what would you have thought...

(143 Posts)
AuntieMonica Sat 10-Sep-11 20:16:20

shopping in a well-known department store, for the purposes of this thread let's call it Lewis Johns and sitting for a well-deserved cuppa and bowl of fairly heavenly cream of vegetable soup...

a lad, about 11/12 comes up and pushes a sponsorship form in front of me, mumbles something about a boxing club and Amir Khan and wants me to write my name and address down.

i told him i wasn't local, that i was only visiting the area and wouldn't be able to guarantee when i was back in town to give him his money...

he said it was ok, i could give him the cash there and then.

what would you have done?

reelingintheyears Sat 10-Sep-11 20:17:18

Told him to fuck off.

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoCunt Sat 10-Sep-11 20:18:07

What reeling said

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 10-Sep-11 20:18:43

I'd have gave him 10p for trying.

LilQueenie Sat 10-Sep-11 20:18:54

No, he sounds like a pushy rude little brat.

reelingintheyears took the words right out of my mouth.

Hope that's what you did do OP.

Thingumy Sat 10-Sep-11 20:19:18

I would of thought what a enterprising little thief and then have refused to sign his 'sponsorship' form.

grin

whattodoo Sat 10-Sep-11 20:19:54

I would have said "sorry, no. I don't know you" and then returned my attention to my soup. Did you have a crusty roll with a very unhealthy amount of butter? I would have.

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoCunt Sat 10-Sep-11 20:20:40

Or you could have adopted him, become Amir Khan's new best friend and been set for life.

Unlikely though

AuntieMonica Sat 10-Sep-11 20:21:01

oh god yes, a granary roll and oodles of butter that i had to wipe from my chin when i was talking to the lad

reelingintheyears Sat 10-Sep-11 20:21:40

I bet he was planning to rob your house 'cos you look like a rich bird.

reelingintheyears Sat 10-Sep-11 20:22:28

Maybe not,what with the dribble covered chin.

AuntieMonica Sat 10-Sep-11 20:23:07

grin

seriously though, other people did give him money hmm

KurriKurri Sat 10-Sep-11 20:24:09

I'd have looked round for his parents, then gone up to them and said 'I don't think you should be letting your child approach strangers for money'

Actually that's a lie, I'd probably have tittered nervously and given him a quid.

Thingumy Sat 10-Sep-11 20:24:17

Well they were in lewis johns,more money than fucking sense.

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoCunt Sat 10-Sep-11 20:25:30

You were probably being filmed for a documentary on how there is no community support anymore. Tomorrow you'll be on the front of the mail under the headline 'Uncaring Bitches of Britain' pictured with a greasy chin and a slight frown upon your face wink

fourkids Sat 10-Sep-11 20:26:29

I'd have done the same as AmazingBouncingFerret!

When someone comes up to me in town with a story about just being let out of prison and needing the bus fare to get to a job interview, if they tell me a reeeeeeaaaaallllyy good story, with lots of extra detail, and are nice and very polite about it, I tend to give them a bit of change or (more often) buy them a coffee...for their over and above the call of duty effort smile

reelingintheyears Sat 10-Sep-11 20:26:43

How much is the soup and granary roll with butter in Lewis Johns' these days?

AuntieMonica Sat 10-Sep-11 20:27:06

<looks sternly at Gilbonzo>

behave grin

oh fuck, really? better unplug the landline as dragon-mother will be ringing to say she saw me!

Thingumy Sat 10-Sep-11 20:27:07

haa haa

Dominic Littlewood will present it....

AuntieMonica Sat 10-Sep-11 20:27:29

no idea, reeling DH paid grin

squeakytoy Sat 10-Sep-11 20:27:37

Would it have made a difference if you were in the cafe at Asda? confused ?

Thingumy Sat 10-Sep-11 20:28:25

he would of just nicked your purse if you were in the cafe in asda

reelingintheyears Sat 10-Sep-11 20:28:45

The cafe at our ASDA is McDonalds...<bleurgh>

AuntieMonica Sat 10-Sep-11 20:29:04

probably would have squeaky, i might not have been able to tell him i lived out of town then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now