Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask you all to contact Brantano regarding these shoes?

(154 Posts)
IsSamNormansDad Sat 10-Sep-11 20:15:45

Here
Was buying wellies for DS in Brantano today, and those hideous shoes caught my eye. I asked the duty manager if they were dressing up shoes as I had assumed, she replied 'No. They are for general wear.' She also mentioned that this style was extremely popular.
My DD is only 6m, so this kind of thing doesn't really affect me yet, but surely shoes like this worn regularly would damage a childs feet?
I also think that they are highly inappropriate for small children (available from kids size 9) as high heels are seen as 'sexy' shoes by many people.
I do NOT think that high heels for children neccessarily encourage inappropriate behaviour, but surely Mumsnets' campaign 'Let Girls Be Girls' is against this?
I am quite prepared to be flamed and told that it's none of my business, but if you feel the same, let Brantano know.

DontGoCurly Sat 10-Sep-11 20:18:22

They remind me of tap shoes I wore as a kid, they're not really that high <meh>biscuit

usualsuspect Sat 10-Sep-11 20:19:08

They are not that bad , so a meh from me too

GingerWrath Sat 10-Sep-11 20:20:44

DD has a pair of ruby slippers with heels, she is obsessed with the Wizard of Oz and doesn't wear them outside of the house, she is 5.

poolet Sat 10-Sep-11 20:21:46

I've seen these shoes and thought they were for dancing classes or parties.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them really if you've got more money than sense.

IsSamNormansDad Sat 10-Sep-11 20:22:54

Thank you - dressing up shoes are one thing, I used to love wearing heels when dressing up and tap dancing - made me feel grown up. My point is that children probably shouldn't wear shoes like this day-to-day.

emsyj Sat 10-Sep-11 20:23:08

I would have wept with joy if my mother had bought me those shoes as a child.

They are <boak> but they don't make me worried about premature sexualisation. Saying that, if DD ever wanted shoes like that I would only let her have them at home, not out and about.

IsSamNormansDad Sat 10-Sep-11 20:23:41

Maybe it was the nasty looking cheap sparkly bits I didn't like smile

onemoreminute Sat 10-Sep-11 20:23:51

If you don't like them, don't buy them !

BeerTricksPotter Sat 10-Sep-11 20:23:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

buzzskillington Sat 10-Sep-11 20:25:48

I doubt people do actually buy those for general wear, despite what the manager said. It'll be for parties and such.

squeakytoy Sat 10-Sep-11 20:26:00

They are party or dancing shoes.. that no child would wear "regularly", ie on a daily basis for the whole day, so you are being rather OTT and silly.

elphabadefiesgravity Sat 10-Sep-11 20:26:13

I don't like them but don't think they are too bad for party shoes. Its not as if they are aimed at toddlers. I'm guessing they are aimed at the age 7-11 age group.

iklboo Sat 10-Sep-11 20:26:32

I don't think it's premature sexualisation as no -sane- woman would wear shoes like that. The heels aren't that high, more kitten than killer. They are 'obrul though.

Takitezee Sat 10-Sep-11 20:26:49

YABU. I really don't think these are shoes that are going to be worn every day for long periods of time and they don't look like adult sexy shoes, they look like children's shoes.

thenightsky Sat 10-Sep-11 20:28:02

'character' is a name usually associated with dance shoes. They look like good dance shoes actually.

sneakybeak Sat 10-Sep-11 20:31:12

Yep - another one here thinking 'meh'. If my DD wanted them as a gift in a few years time, I probably would. Definitely not for everyday but for dress up I can see their niche.

Deflatedballoonbelly Sat 10-Sep-11 20:32:11

My little girl has them (8, 9 next week) I think they are HORRID! She loves them, only allow her to parties (kids ones, Im fickle, ok?) and dressing up.

YABU and over the top and uhm... YABU

LynetteScavo Sat 10-Sep-11 20:32:35

I once took ds2 to a 7th birthday party where at least 2 little girls were wearing these shoes.

Not my taste, and I certainly won't be buying DD a pair (I wouldn't buy her slip on ballet pumps either). Although I would have loved to have them when I was 7!

reelingintheyears Sat 10-Sep-11 20:32:59

I'd love a pair.

Do they do size nines?

TidyDancer Sat 10-Sep-11 20:34:52

I'm put off slightly by the Hannah Montana thing, but I actually rather like them, I'd wear them. grin

Wouldn't dream of letting DD have them though. Heels on small children are very icky.

Rowena8482 Sat 10-Sep-11 20:35:05

My DD would adore those! her current party shoes are flats but silver sparkly, and getting too small. I might even show her those and ask her if she would like a pair for parties grin It would be now or never though as they only go to a 2 and she's in a 2 now. She's 9 if it matters.

fatlazymummy Sat 10-Sep-11 20:39:44

No I'm not going to contact Brantano. The shoes are fine for special occassions [parties etc]. It's not like you see little girls walking along the street in them, or wearing them for school.
And because the Mumsnet website has a campaign doesn't mean that everyone that posts on the forum supports it. I don't, for one. I think it's a load of patronising twaddle, from what I have seen and heard of it.

pigletmania Sat 10-Sep-11 20:39:55

Nothing wrong with them, they look cool, like others have said, for parties or occasions. Though my in toeing dd 4.5 would not fair well with them though.

pigletmania Sat 10-Sep-11 20:40:35

They are much better, compared to the hideous and overpriced Lelli Kellies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now