Talk

Advanced search

To think that Private Schools should be Ofsted 'ed'

(25 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sat 10-Sep-11 20:01:37

Following on from

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1292415-to-consider-private-school-even-if?pg=13

If all schools were inspected by the same body, wouldn't this allow parents to really see what is going on?

I seem to be surrounded my parents who assume the local state school is poorer than the private school locally, when in reality the state school is far better (in terms of academic ability anyway).

DogsBestFriend Sat 10-Sep-11 20:48:07

YABU for the following reasons:

1. Compatibility. Independents don't have to follow the NC. AFAIK most don't and so an academic comparison and many of the benchmarks would be irrelevant.

2. Independents and parents/prospective parents of independently educated children would rightly object to the whole idea of government assessment and consider it an unnecessary intrusion which goes against the very nature of independent education in the UK.

3. I don't think that the government would dare, tbh. In the main, the gulf between the two types of service would be too much of an embarrassment to government and local authorities alike. There's more to independent ducation than just academic results, remember.

Just my opinion, mind.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sat 10-Sep-11 20:57:51

But if the focus was on teaching and learning I don't see the issue......

DarftApeth Sat 10-Sep-11 20:58:35

Both of my dc's school's have been inspected by Ofsted. They are both private.

TrillianAstra Sat 10-Sep-11 20:59:08

YABU because there is an Education topic

HumphreyCobbler Sat 10-Sep-11 21:00:25

they are inspected

troisgarcons Sat 10-Sep-11 21:01:16

YANBU to post where you like no matter how some members think they are the MN Nazi Thread Police grin

elphabadefiesgravity Sat 10-Sep-11 21:04:06

The Dc's school is inspected ny ISIC. An OFSTED inspection would not be appropriate becasue they don't follow the National Curriculum or do SATS. OFSTED have a trict set of criteria they judge schools against. Nursery was inspected because of accepting the nursery vouchers and one of the main critisisms was that the school didn't let the children sit where they liked at lunchtime but allocated places (so they could keep tracl of allergies and make sure that good eaters were next tp poor eaters etc.

The fact that the school is independent of the state and don;t have to follow their dictats was a big deciding factor in me sending them there.

DogsBestFriend Sat 10-Sep-11 21:11:22

Good point DA, it's just dawned on me that DDs school was inspected by OFSTED only last term. Do'h!

Which means that OFSTED can assess despite an independent not following NC norms, so I was mistaken on point 1 (though god knows how well they do it!), that I may still be accurate on point 2 and that therefore the gulf between independent and state is in some cases already being made apparent by OFSTED.

shineypenny Sat 10-Sep-11 21:18:06

All independent boarding schools are inspected by Ofsted, but for the boarding element only.

This is, however, changing and independents can now elect to be inspected for both academic and boarding purposes by ISIC.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sat 10-Sep-11 21:20:29

I love you troisgarcons!

So schools can invite osted in??? How impartical are ISIC though?????
SAT's and NC only only a part of what Ofsted look at though, teaching and learning is still the focus.

I think one body inspecting all schools (with a new framework) has to be better.

TrillianAstra this is Saturday night. I am making things speedy for you with your wine and take away in one hand, YABU or YANBU is so much easier to type.

soverylucky Sat 10-Sep-11 21:23:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Talker2010 Sat 10-Sep-11 21:25:33

An Ofsted inspection of a state school does not depend on the NC being followed

The measures used at Secondary are about proportions of students achieving Level 2 and Level 2 in English and Maths at KS4 and then points at KS5 ... these measures could surely be looked at in an Indie

The measure of good teaching is dependant solely on the progress being made by students in the lessons observed ... I assume that can be measured just as easily in any school

I understand the argument that if the owners and parents of the school do not want Ofsted in then they probably should retain the right to refuse ... but I can see the OPs point regarding parents actually being able to compare easily

On the other hand, however, there are some parents who simply believe that indie is best irrespective of the facts

lilackaty Sat 10-Sep-11 21:26:23

We were inspected by ISI but the International School here was inspected by Ofsted - I can't remember why. There was no option about ISI afaik unless we can't be registered with them unless they inspect us.

HandsOffOurLand Sat 10-Sep-11 21:27:40

"I seem to be surrounded my parents who assume the local state school is poorer than the private school locally, *when in reality the state school is far better (in terms of academic ability anyway*)."

How do you know?

Anyhoo, the government has no business poking around in independent schools. People choose them precisely to avoid government busybodying. But in any case, as others have said, independent schools are inspected one way or another. And, what's more, no Ofsted report saying that our local primary was 'better' than our chose independent would have made me have a Damascene conversion to the state option.

HandsOffOurLand Sat 10-Sep-11 21:28:18

Talker, I think I fall into your final category. grin

lilackaty Sat 10-Sep-11 21:28:41

My school's junior department do not use levels to measure progress. And ISI were completely impartial - they do not have to pass you. They were looking at progress made within a lesson.

Talker2010 Sat 10-Sep-11 21:29:02

Hands, fair enough, it takes all sorts and all that

orienteerer Sat 10-Sep-11 21:31:11

As far as I know those with a boarding element are OFSTED inspected?

Hullygully Sat 10-Sep-11 21:36:15

they are

they are

tehry are

hth

CaptainNancy Sat 10-Sep-11 21:37:39

OFSTED inspect fee-paying schools that offer Early Years provision, just as they inspect childminders, nurseries etc.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sat 10-Sep-11 21:39:34

"I seem to be surrounded my parents who assume the local state school is poorer than the private school locally, *when in reality the state school is far better (in terms of academic ability anyway*)."

Oh sorry, because Ofsted inspected the ISI inspection carried out and found serious weakness in both managment and pupil progress in the pre prep. I only know as my friend teaches there. Local parents seem unaware which is why I think one system for all would be better.

meditrina Sat 10-Sep-11 21:40:04

EYFS and boarding have to be done by OFSTED. For the rest, they can opt for OFSTEd or be done by ISI.

Parents vote with their feet (and their wallets), and seem happy enough to do so. If there was a demand for OFSTED, it would be happening. There isn't - perhaps not everyone thinks OFSTED is that good?

HandsOffOurLand Sat 10-Sep-11 21:43:04

Aha. But why did Ofsted inspect the ISI inspection report? And is Ofsted necessarily impartial? But thanks for the clarification. smile

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sat 10-Sep-11 21:51:27

I think they inspect so many each year......not sure TBH why that school at that time.....

I was wondering though how much the old boys network stays out of ISI inspections...... a local head (prep school) was sacked last term......he is now working as a deputy in another local prep......too much of that sort of thing goes on locally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now