Talk

Advanced search

Fondant fancies flounce

(23 Posts)
HummusNKetchup Sat 10-Sep-11 19:12:23

Background: first week back at school with Y1, R and toddler. Children have been vaguely tolerable all week (well, nearly vaguely tolerable some of the time - DS1 had actually been quite tricky) and we'd just stopped off at the shops on the way home on Friday. I picked up a packet of fondant fancies as I thought the children could have a treat with their tea. DS1 and 2 waited in the car for me, while I took the little one into the shop with me.

When I returned to the car, DS1 was screaming at me that he had wanted to open the door and not me and he got up and stamped on his lunch box and my handbag which were on the floor of the car. For me this behaviour is completely beyond the pale. So I got the fondant fancies, told him "this was going to be your treat, until you behaved like that", and flounced over to the bin outside co-op and deposited them therein.

Now I know this probably wouldn't be recommended in the parenting manuals, but was I being reasonable as a response to shocking behaviour. Or not? DS2 had something else with his tea btw, so he didn't miss out.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 10-Sep-11 19:14:00

I wouldn't have binned the fancies. Son would not have had them, but throwing fancies in the bin is a waste of fancies.

I may have eaten them in front of him, and made him watch. But that might be too mean.

BeerTricksPotter Sat 10-Sep-11 19:18:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SecretNutellaFix Sat 10-Sep-11 19:23:32

It's a bit of a waste, but I bet he won't do it again any time soon.

KurriKurri Sat 10-Sep-11 19:28:44

I'd have let him see everyone else enjoying their fancies at teatime while he went without <mean mother me>

But throwing away fancies -, are you mad?, - whereabouts is the bin, can you fish them out? grin

Collision Sat 10-Sep-11 19:30:51

No way would they have gone in the bin.

I can eat a whole box in one sitting (though not keen on the choc ones)

Acandlelitshadow Sat 10-Sep-11 19:44:20

dons coat and goes looking for the bin

Not unreasonable for him to go without but unreasonable to bin them.

He'd have sat and watched everyone else scarfing them here.

Such a sad, sad waste

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 10-Sep-11 19:57:54

Poor fondant fancies, never even got to see the outside world. Or the inside of someones gob. <sobs>

Mandy2003 Sat 10-Sep-11 19:58:23

Well you saved him and the rest of your family from a load of E numbers, transfats and various other chemicals.

{dons tin hat and flame retardant suit & sits back...}

But first week of term I guess, he was probably overwrought. Hopefully you were able to talk it through with him when he was calmer?

I think we should say a prayer.

I also think Mandy should go to he'll as soulless as she is and be damned.

KurriKurri Sat 10-Sep-11 20:04:03

e-numbers, transfats and chemicals? - what's not to like?

Mandy, if you don't appreciate the cakelicious experience that is a FF, that leaves all the more for me grin

HummusNKetchup Sat 10-Sep-11 20:04:12

'twas probably better I binned them. DS2 would have had only one and that would have left me seven, all to myself. To eat whole.

<regrets binning them>

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Sat 10-Sep-11 20:05:13

Those poor poor fondant fancies, was there nothing else to flounce with?

HummusNKetchup Sat 10-Sep-11 20:07:56

I think flouncing with all or any of: a copy of the Times, 4 pints of milk, some bananas and a banana maltloaf wouldn't have had nearly the same effect on DS1. Although I should underestimate the impact of the confusion tactic.

<resolves to pretend to drop fondant fancies in bin next time, and actually secrete them under jacket for snarfing solo, later>

lifechanger Sat 10-Sep-11 20:10:50

Tough on the DC who were behaving.

pointydog Sat 10-Sep-11 20:13:02

It was reasonable to withold the treat of the fancies.

It wasn't reasonable to act like a big kid and dump them in a bin in front of them.

fluffywhitekittens Sat 10-Sep-11 22:18:24

Yabvu
I went to the village shop the other day and there were NO fancies left.
Imagine my distress to hear how you threw yours away.

HecateQueenOfWitches Sat 10-Sep-11 22:31:40

How did he take it?

And which bin did you put them in...

grin

SuePurblybilt Sat 10-Sep-11 22:37:55

We used to call them 'booby cakes' when I was a yungun <wistful>

TalcAndTurnips Sat 10-Sep-11 23:58:43

SueP - and zit cakes; endlessly inventive brother discovered that squeezing the top bit made the lump burst and the white fondant pus would then ooze out.

Can't believe, HummusNKetchup, that anyone supposedly in full possession of their faculties would voluntary bin cake - even the over-sugared technicolour offerings of Mr Kipling himself (always preferred his poetry to his baking, personally.)

If I had committed a similarly rash act, I'd be out there now - balaclava on - fishing through that bin in the dead of night with a torch. However we do have a local full-time bin excavator; he calls himself a 'totter' and professes to sell his more memorable finds - he would had the Fancies away and ingested before they'd even settled on the detritus beneath.

Iteotwawki Sun 11-Sep-11 07:17:10

Am I the only one who is thinking sod the fancies, you were being wholly unreasonable leaving 2 young kids (assumption from yr1 and R) alone in the car while you went into a shop?

MissBeehiving Sun 11-Sep-11 07:33:52

That is sacrilege. shock

Those FF could have gone to my tummy a worthy home. Mr Kipling will be inconsolable. In fact I suspect he may need to have counselling for the trauma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now