Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be so upset about hearing of little sis pregnancy on facebook?

(22 Posts)
craftyknickers Sat 10-Sep-11 17:04:14

I just need to rant because I am so angry!! Her boyfriend put it on facebook knowing that I (and other family) would read it.

It was a huge shock as she is my little sister but i am mostly hurt that everyone (including my other sis and brother) knew before me.

Am i being stupid to feel this has not been handled right or should i just accept that facebook is well and truly a part of people's lives whether i like it or not?

BluddyMoFo Sat 10-Sep-11 17:06:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BluddyMoFo Sat 10-Sep-11 17:06:36

bonkers20 Sat 10-Sep-11 17:33:51

I don't think you are being stupid to feel as you do. I would be very, very upset as well. Couples normally put considerable thought about how and when they tell family and friends.

As Bluddy says I'm sure he didn't do it to hurt you, but it was rather thoughtless.

HairyGrotter Sat 10-Sep-11 17:35:50

Thoughtless but do you get on well with your sister?

craftyknickers Sat 10-Sep-11 17:41:30

I get on really well with her and he knew that i didnt know yet.

He has apologised and I have calmed down now after the shock. I understand he is excited but i have just found he didnt even tell his own mum or family before posting it?!?! At least im not the last to know!

I could still kill him for doing it though, news like that shouldnt be given in the same way as saying 'just on the loo' or 'im bored' something ordinary on their status.

BluddyMoFo Sat 10-Sep-11 17:41:34

BluddyMoFo Sat 10-Sep-11 17:42:05

lubeybooby Sat 10-Sep-11 17:43:03

Facebook is how people announce things now. Not ALL people of course but it's very common. I would just shrug it off and use the phone to congratulate her

bonkers20 Sat 10-Sep-11 17:44:14

Is your sister annoyed with him? I hope he'll have learnt to control his excitement once they baby is born so you find out you're an aunt via FB.

Bluddy What's up with you?!

LilBB Sat 10-Sep-11 17:48:05

YANBU. I found out my great nan had died from Facebook. My mum had not told me as she wanted to tell me face to face the next day (she died very late at night). I hate people who have to announce everything on Facebook with no thought to other people. I have already been warning people that if they announce the birth of my child on Facebook before I have had chance to tell family myself I will kill them. This has happened to several friends of mine.

I would be pissed off if my sister couldn't pick up the phone to tell me and I found out on Facebook.

mummymccar Sat 10-Sep-11 17:49:45

Such a shame that you found out that way - it doesn't sound like he was doing it to be malicious though, I think he was probably just over excited and not really thinking.
It is gutting but I don't think you should say anymore - I'm sure that your sister has probably said a heck of a lot worse to him in private! Just concentrate on looking forward to the impending arrival and put it down as a mistake he'll probably regret for a very long time - much longer than you'll think about it!

craftyknickers Sat 10-Sep-11 17:52:32

Lilbb thats awful im so sorry, I love facebook for keeping in touch with friends and family who live far away but god i do hate it sometimes.

Bluddy I see what you are saying as it is their happy moment, i have congratulated them both but having to ring your sister to ask 'are you pregnant' wasnt really the way i wanted to do it. And now because of him my poor sister is having to ring around everyone confirming its true instead of being able to announce it in her own time.

BluddyMoFo Sat 10-Sep-11 17:53:53

BluddyMoFo Sat 10-Sep-11 17:54:17

qo Sat 10-Sep-11 17:59:58

YANBU, I found out the conclusion to a very dear friends long running battle with the council from somebody else after they'd seen it on facebook.

I was very pleased for her, ecstatic, but had suppoted her all the way through it and thought she might have at least rang or emailed be to let me know the conclusion. I know it's her right to announce whatever to whoever she wants and I did not hold it against her, but it did hurt a little bit - I am only human!!

DontGoCurly Sat 10-Sep-11 18:01:25

I don't understand why it matters that other people knew before you? confused

zukiecat Sat 10-Sep-11 18:03:02

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 10-Sep-11 18:03:51

Someone's going to have to write the book 'Facebook Etiquette for Dummies'..... I'd bet hard cash there's someone out there that found out their granny had died via Facebook.

LilBB Sat 10-Sep-11 18:09:41

Erm Cogito that was me!! Someone definitely needs to write that book and give it to my cousin. I also have a cousin who kept people up to date on his girlfriends labour on Facebook

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 10-Sep-11 18:13:38

Ker-ching! FB is less 'social network' and more 'social balls-up opportunity'.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Sat 10-Sep-11 18:19:03

I would be pretty angry if I heard about my sister/ils pregnancy on fb, what a quick phonecall wouldn't suffice? I don't care about other people but yes I do want to know that I am important to my dsis or my dh is imp to his. However I wouldn't go in all guns blazing but I might have been a bit sarky grin

We didn't find out until 2 days after sil had given birth because bil "forgot" to tell us. Nice. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now