Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not know if I can freeze this chicken soup?? Help me please!

(14 Posts)
BackToB4Beatrice Sat 10-Sep-11 16:20:47

Bought a cooked chicken on Thursday. Made soup today, using bones as stock and meat in soup. I'm okay to know freeze it and de-frost and re-heat later in the week, right?

Or am I going to poison my family?

TIA

UselessAtWifeyTypeStuffBeatrice

BatsUpMeNightie Sat 10-Sep-11 16:23:57

Yes it'll be fine!

GingerWrath Sat 10-Sep-11 16:23:59

Should be fine to freeze, the supermarket would have cooked it from raw.

elegangle Sat 10-Sep-11 16:24:21

you'll live, It'll be fine!

BackToB4Beatrice Sat 10-Sep-11 16:32:10

Thanks!

Mia4 Sat 10-Sep-11 16:32:50

It will be fine, I've done it loads. What you can't do is thaw meat then refreeze it again -it's a bit dodge. Or make the soup, freeze it, thaw, then refreeze-again a bit dodge. But cooking then freezing is fine, even from frozen meat.

ScarletLady01 Sat 10-Sep-11 16:41:35

You'll be fine. I've made chicken soup and frozen it tons of times. The only time I won't is if I've added cream as it goes a bit funny.

mumnotmachine Sat 10-Sep-11 16:51:47

It will be fine, just dont add any milk or dairy similar before freezing as it will curdle on reheating

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Sat 10-Sep-11 17:02:13

If you haven't got any space in your freezer, just bring the soup to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes everyday until you want to serve it.

I keep a large stockpot going in the winter and add fresh veg/meat/leftovers as and when. I use the stock as a base for soup/ gravy/sauces or for making risotto.

missmogwi Sat 10-Sep-11 17:36:43

Sorry to barge in but I am doing!
I've defrosted some chicken to make a curry. Can I then freeze the curry? I think I can.
blush feel daft surely should know this!

WilsonFrickett Sat 10-Sep-11 17:39:59

Yes you can Missmogwi. If you defrost anything, then cook it again to a high temp, it is OK to refreeze. But you can't do raw to raw, ie defrost raw chicken then re-freeze the same raw chicken. It has to be cooked first.

missmogwi Sat 10-Sep-11 17:44:55

Thank you!
Bloody great this Mumsnet, I've learnt new swearwords, many in fact and chicken safety! grin

troisgarcons Sat 10-Sep-11 17:59:03

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy I do that - my husband thinks I'm trying to see him off with my own unique brand of food poisoning grin

Floggingmolly Sat 10-Sep-11 18:45:22

About the stockpot, how many times can you reheat something without risking food poisoning? Or is it only dodgy when it involves frozen convenience foods?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now