Talk

Advanced search

...to want to make my son, big as he is (over 30), sit on the metaphorical naughty step for this.

(17 Posts)
Gissabreak Sat 10-Sep-11 12:02:32

Message withdrawn

HecateQueenOfWitches Sat 10-Sep-11 12:03:30

No. You aren't. Not right for him to use you like that. Making you the bad guy. Very unfair.

SpringHeeledJack Sat 10-Sep-11 12:06:10

boooooo!

I would have words

[stern]

justhe1 Sat 10-Sep-11 12:07:00

FANTASTIC are you telling me then granny, that there is still as tep for the over 8 boy????

Ok, gonna tell dh about this.
Of course my ds will NEVER be leaving home because i really think i will die so the naughty step shal remain within these walls.

btw..YANBU, horrid thing to say to your gc, kick his ass.grin

Bandwithering Sat 10-Sep-11 12:08:11

I'm not surprised you're annoyed!

I used to live with my parents and I used to 'use' them as an excuse. "don't jump on the seats, grandma will be cross". "sit at the table, granddad hates it when you wander round the house with your food". Now they seem to regard me as lower down in the pecking order/chain of command than granddad and grandma. If I say no to them now, the seem to feel that they can 'appeal' to grandparents to over rule me even though we don't even live with them anymore.

Georgimama Sat 10-Sep-11 12:08:52

It's Hecate!!!! Where have you been????

Sorry. Yes Hecate is right (TM) as usual - totally out of order to use you as the bogeyman. He should take responsibility for his own parenting decisions.

HecateQueenOfWitches Sat 10-Sep-11 12:10:16

Nowhere grin I've been trying on different names. Variety is the spice of life and all that grin

purplepidjin Sat 10-Sep-11 12:10:52

Maybe it has more impact on her coming from somebody she adores?

4yo DNephew has several times been persuaded to have a bath because Uncle PidjDP and Aunty Pidj say smelly boys aren't allowed in the bus (campervan, his most favouritest thing ever). We see it as backing up DSIL when she's struggling...

Georgimama Sat 10-Sep-11 12:12:01

I think it's OK when used positively - my DS behaves better for my mother than for me and will do something "for nanny" because he adores her. But it's not OK the way the OP's son did it.

Gissabreak Sat 10-Sep-11 12:12:38

Message withdrawn

TottWriter Sat 10-Sep-11 12:13:53

shock

In the past, we have threatened DS with not going on outings with his GP if he misbehaves, but we always make it clear that we are cancelling it. The closest we come is to say (if we are seeing them later that day) that they will be disappointed to hear he has been naughty. Which, clearly, they will, but it doesn't make them bad. Just a little sad at whatever dreadful thing he's been doing.

I feel the rule is that grandparents only get disappointed. Parents can get cross. (Unless GPs are looking after him, in which case they are perfectly capable of telling him how they feel!)

Gissabreak Sat 10-Sep-11 12:15:52

Message withdrawn

Gissabreak Sat 10-Sep-11 12:16:16

Message withdrawn

eaglewings Sat 10-Sep-11 12:21:36

Put him on the step for a minute for every year of his life and ban him from all screens for 2 weeks.

ChippingIn Sat 10-Sep-11 12:22:31

GissaBreak's DS - you are a naughty boy. This is Not On. Do not use your lovely mother like this again or the power that is Mumsnet will fell you like a dead tree hmm

ChaoticAngeloftheUnderworld Sat 10-Sep-11 12:32:54

YANBU He needs to take responsibility for his own parenting decisions, not put the blame on you.

crazynanna Sat 10-Sep-11 12:37:05

My boy's 28,and lives with DIL,but is here a lot.

He is often sent to sit in the kitchen if he is getting a bit gobby/cheeky/pratish. He can only come back into the lounge when I shout "Times up!" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now