Talk

Advanced search

to think that the English team look like All Black wannabes in their black kits

(39 Posts)
queenmaeve Sat 10-Sep-11 11:29:40

Bear in mind I am Irish and I am just trying to stir things up grin
Fighting talk bring it on!!!!!!

Pagwatch Sat 10-Sep-11 11:32:41

I am half english and half Irish. But I support any British sides rather than southern hemisphere.

Hate the black kit.
Why are we trying to look like all blacks? After all, which of the two held the world cup the most recently and which side are massive chokers didn't?

LaWeasel Sat 10-Sep-11 11:36:05

I do support the All Blacks (being a kiwi) and was very baffled when I turned on the TV this morning!

Also what the hell happened to their kit that made all the numbers peel off?

ScarletLady01 Sat 10-Sep-11 11:43:00

I don't think I'm unreasonable to say that England are in fact the jammiest bastards known to man...I nearly decided to change nationality.

I got so annoyed I jumped up and stood on the spiky bit of a belt buckle with bare feet and now have a big cut on the bottom of my foot.

Insert Mutley style rantings here

queenmaeve Sat 10-Sep-11 11:56:24

Oh I am sorry Scarlet but I am grin ing at you hurting your foot!

Weaseel, you think thats bad. During the week at the Ireland international soccer game, they had to write a players number on his jersey with a black marker! Times are hard indeed

Pagwatch you are half Irish?. I always knew I liked you grin

DoingTheBestICan Sat 10-Sep-11 11:58:44

I just cant wait for it to start proper tomorrow morning when Wales play grin C'mon my laddos!!!

Truckrelented Sat 10-Sep-11 12:01:20

As an England fan I think it's ridiculous.

Everyone hates us as it is, so I don't understand why we are trying to annoy the New Zealanders.

And I'll be cheering for Ireland, but can't cheer for Wales.

ScarletLady01 Sat 10-Sep-11 12:02:42

Thanks queenmaeve

I do feel like a prize tool that's for sure...

Probably not as much as Johnny Wilkinson does though

Maryz Sat 10-Sep-11 12:03:49

I don't think their kit is their biggest problem shock. They need to start playing rugby, not wrestling. They were very lucky today.

ScarletLady01 Sat 10-Sep-11 12:06:37

VERY lucky indeed. I hold out hope as they had a good last 20 minutes or so. Flashes of fire most definitely. I'm hoping it's the new squad ironing out it's kinks.

TrillianAstra Sat 10-Sep-11 12:06:42

Did you know there is a Sport topic?

I don't think they look like wannabes of any kind, so YABU.

But I don't like the black kit.

Maryz Sat 10-Sep-11 12:11:12

grin Trillion. Are you channelling Bibbity? You are right, btw.

Whatmeworry Sat 10-Sep-11 12:12:03

Be better if they could play like the All Blacks too grin

LaWeasel Sat 10-Sep-11 12:16:56

But it's sport and exercise. This is sport and mocking.

Very important distinction.

I probably shouldn't get started on the mocking though, since we all know the AB will lose in the semis. Hopefully not to France. That's just demeaning.

Maryz Sat 10-Sep-11 12:19:15

I'm Irish, I should really be a bit more careful with the mocking, shouldn't I? We might lose to Italy, and even the USA on a bad day (and we have a lot of those atm). Oh dear.

TrillianAstra Sat 10-Sep-11 12:21:57

No channeling, we are brothers in arms in the fight to promote overlooked non-sexy sections.

complexnumber Sat 10-Sep-11 12:34:47

People do realise that the AB's away shirt is white don't they? Pretty much the same as the England kit.

Why no fuss about that?

LaWeasel Sat 10-Sep-11 12:36:37

Because the All Blacks team colours have always been white and black.

Traditionally England have always had red and white. It seems a bit odd to change to black suddenly.

TrillianAstra Sat 10-Sep-11 12:37:51

No, no we don't. The All Blacks should wear black. It's in the name.

Silly to have "away" kit when you're an international team, you will nearly always be away.

Rillyrillygoodlooking Sat 10-Sep-11 12:42:52

Black isn't Nz's property. It annoys me that all their sport is based on their rugby team.
Basketball team : tall blacks
Football: all whites
Hockey: black sticks
Cricket: black caps

They have taken it far too far. So what if the English team have a black jersey? Get a grip people.

Maryz Sat 10-Sep-11 12:44:26

They just call the kids home and away, Trillian. In reality they have to have a dark strip and a light one (going back to the days of the old black and white telly).

I do think that these particular ones were too all-black like. When the All-Blacks play in their light strip they use white with bits of black on it. Scotland also have very navy strip which can look black, so have a second strip which is white and navy.

TrillianAstra Sat 10-Sep-11 12:45:19

So what if the English team have a black jersey?

So... we don't like it. We want them to wear white with a red rose on it please.

Maryz Sat 10-Sep-11 12:47:58

Oops, they call the "kits" home and away blush.

I must say, the red roses looked very incongruous against the black, didn't they. It just looked wrong.

<< I'm vaguely amused by TA's participation in the thread despite it being in the wrong place, and feel better about my own wishy-washiness about non-AIBU threads in AIBU they are wrong unless I want to post on them, and then they are ok >>

Devilforasideboard Sat 10-Sep-11 12:50:24

They only looked like the All Blacks until they started playing.

LaWeasel Sat 10-Sep-11 12:54:03

Erm. It's not all based on the rugby actually. Black and white are just 'our colours' as the New Zealand flag is extremely controversial and unpopular. All the iconography and names are either based on those colours or the silver fern which is a native plant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now