Talk

Advanced search

To hope I don't become a little bit Enid Blyton

(9 Posts)
professorsnape Fri 09-Sep-11 12:27:47

I am restarting my novel that I've been writing on and off for years.

My DC are 4 (DD) and have DS (twins, 13 months) so have had a busy but brilliant few years smile

Have been putting more time into writing in the evenings now that all are sleeping the night. Am getting more and more involved with my characters, I hope I'll have energy left for DH and DC. And you know how Enid wasn't very focussed on her children.

Am joking but have a question: Is is possible to keep the creative focus when you have small children? Or should we put our plans/ambitions for ourselves on hold or just forget about them

itisnearlysummer Fri 09-Sep-11 12:32:51

It is possible to have a creative focus when you have small children.

DH and I both found ours with children, we look at the children and know it's important for us and for them that we have this focus and that whatever benefits come from it will benefit all of us.

I have more interests and hobbies now than I did before I had children, largely because most of my time was spent in pubs and clubs!

Good luck with the novel.

professorsnape Fri 09-Sep-11 13:40:55

thanks itisnearly

true, have less time for the pub now which kills off all creative spirits (ahem, no pun intended)

SuePurblybilt Fri 09-Sep-11 13:44:17

I do not know. But do try to minimise the emphasis on spanking, gypsies, sexism and creepy dwelling on punishments in your novel or you will be turning into La Blyton grin.

I think it's healthy to have a focus other than your children tbh. As well as, not instead of, obviously. Good luck with it.

MamaChoo Fri 09-Sep-11 13:49:06

Bah! I thought this was going to be about Kirrin Island, beds under gorse bushes and lashings of ginger beer.

professorsnape Fri 09-Sep-11 14:18:52

As Mr. Goon might say, 'Clear orf' all of yousmile Am sorry to disappoint that post not more exciting.

Promise not to have casual racism, weird uncles or boarding schools in my novel.

I also promise to spend more than an hour with my children a day (visiting them with the nanny in the nursery)

Lashings of ginger beer for you all!

newbroom Fri 09-Sep-11 14:24:33

I think it is difficult - try read A Room with a View for a particularly bleak viewpoint!

messymammy Fri 09-Sep-11 14:31:29

I don't think the issue is that Ms Blyton "wasn't very focussed on her children" was her main problem, more so that she was actively cruel and beat them?

Her daughter Imogen has been quoted as saying "The truth is Enid Blyton was arrogant, insecure, pretentious, very skilled at putting difficult or unpleasant things out of her mind, and without a trace of maternal instinct. As a child, I viewed her as a rather strict authority. As an adult I pitied her." (from wikipedia)

I bet your kids are grand. Shall I repeat the lashings of ginger beer joke?

messymammy Fri 09-Sep-11 14:33:11

Also I'm told it is possible to do things when you have children after they have gone asleep but mine don't sleep so I wouldn't know smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now