Talk

Advanced search

to have my judgey pants on?

(16 Posts)
imnotforty Fri 09-Sep-11 09:12:06

just dropped my 2 youngest to school and was waiting for them to go in.

a little year r came and stood next to me and started asking what to do. couldn't see his mum so handed him over to the head teacher who said yes he gets dropped off very early and we don't always know.

the poor little sod only started school on Monday and is being dropped off early and left to sort himself out. all infants are meant to be taken straight to their classroom in the morning anyway.

ooh I'm annoyed with the mother.

ConstanceNoring Fri 09-Sep-11 09:14:51

Poor little chap sad (I have just dropped off my youngest DS for his first full day, I am having attachment issues)

Maybe the mum doesn't know the drill for reception joiners, - I would try to catch her and subtly let her know.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Fri 09-Sep-11 09:19:20

Not nice for the child, certainly. Poor little thing. I have noticed there are parents who drop their children into the school really early. Perhaps they have to get to work and they reason that if they drop their child into the school at 8:30 or 820 or whatever, then the child will be looked after and they can get to work on time.

There's one thing about that though - Perhaps you should ask the school about their insurance. My younger son's school had to send a letter to parents asking them not to drop the children off before 8:40 as the school was not insured before then.

imnotforty Fri 09-Sep-11 09:19:53

if you didn't know the drill, wouldn't you want to hang around and find out? I'd want to know my child was safe and in the care of the staff.

he could easily have wandered off and no one would be any the wiser.

imnotforty Fri 09-Sep-11 09:22:39

I'm sure we've had letters before saying that gates are open at 8.30 but there is no supervision until 8.40 and children are the parents responsibility until then.

ChablisLover Fri 09-Sep-11 09:42:01

Yanbu- ds has just started P1. He has to be left to the classroom and later they have to stand in class lines waiting to go in. Even then I wouldn't leave him, he I'd still too little.

Want to go to your school early and have word with child's mother. U just don't do that to a small child!!!!

JosieRosie Fri 09-Sep-11 09:44:57

YANBU at all for being angry about this - it's disgraceful. Some parents really are so neglectful. YABU for being annoyed at 'the mother' though!

Honeydragon Fri 09-Sep-11 09:47:22

Really if the head is aware than the head should deal with it?

ihatecbeebies Fri 09-Sep-11 09:47:49

YANBU. My DS just started school too and he's to go to his class by himself but when I drop him off in the playground I wait with him until the bell goes then watch to make sure he's went through the doors too. I go back to uni in a week so will need to drop him off at 8.30am to go get the bus to be at my class in time but I wouldn't just leave him in the playground and hope for the best, luckily the school has a breakfast club that I can leave him with for half an hour until school starts otherwise I'd be looking at a childminder to take him in the morning.

ConstanceNoring Fri 09-Sep-11 09:48:10

OP - don't get me wrong - I'm not defending the mother at all, - yes I would make sure I knew the drill before buggering off, but some people are just ignorant.

There was a mum from DS1's class who strolled along at 9am for a whole school term "not realising" that they should be in the classroom by 8.50. She obviously thought that everyone else was early and she was the only one at the right time hmm

grin

slightlyoversharing Fri 09-Sep-11 09:52:27

How do you know it's "the mother" and not "the father" who is dropping off that early?

ConstanceNoring Fri 09-Sep-11 10:31:29

ok insert "the parent" where I have said "the mother"

hmm

imnotforty Fri 09-Sep-11 13:08:11

Yes, I was assuming it was the mother as well. Shouldn't make assumptions I suppose.

I do hope the head teacher will deal with it. I felt so sad for the little boy. My kids were bloody vile this morning and I did lots of shouting and ranting before we finally got to school. I made sure they all went off with a hug and a kiss though and it wouldn't occur to me to dump and run.

SexualHarrassmentPandaPop Fri 09-Sep-11 13:14:09

I would be more concerned that the head knows this is a regular thing and hasn't tackled it tbh. It's not up to you to tackle the parent.

candr Fri 09-Sep-11 13:23:25

We always have some parents that dump and run, the HT needs to speak to the parents not you as could make things awkward. We have supervision outside from 8.30 but I have a small group that help me with jobs before that as I know their parents have to get to work. Some have been with one or other parent who lives a bit further away. I would not encourage parents to hang around till the bell goes as it is good for your child to not feel the need to see you there as they should be off playing. We also have parents that drop kids of late EVERY day and it is frigging annoying as they should be in lessons and I have to wait with the register, lunch form etc and get into assembly late. Doesn't matter how many times I spoke to them about it thy did not change and had cheek to complain that their child did not win one of those silly prizes for attendence when they get marked absent at 8.50 (although I would always note that they had turned up)

imnotforty Fri 09-Sep-11 14:16:20

I've no intention of tackling the parent, I've no idea who they are anyway. Doesn't sound like they intend to hang around on the playground.

I assume the head will do something, we've only been back at school since Monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now