CBeebies and gender stereotyping

(475 Posts)
EmsieRo Fri 09-Sep-11 07:06:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Robotindisguise Fri 09-Sep-11 07:14:10

One of the pirates is a girl, if that helps

pinkthechaffinch Fri 09-Sep-11 07:18:25

I don't think YABU.

My 2 and a half year old dd told me the other day that her wellies were boys' wellies (blue and red) so the 'pinkifiction' starts young as we all know

oh yes and that the lawnmower is 'daddy's' apparently even though I've always done the majority of the mowing.

Now I'm not blaming CBeebies for this but I do think they could do more to counteract the sexism rampant everywhere.

EmsieRo Fri 09-Sep-11 07:18:40

EmsieRo Fri 09-Sep-11 07:20:50

EmsieRo Fri 09-Sep-11 07:22:44

pinkthechaffinch Fri 09-Sep-11 07:26:47

god knows

HairyGrotter Fri 09-Sep-11 07:30:37

Hmm I'm not sure really, I am a lone parent, my DD has no constant contact with any males so she has never mentioned what's a 'boys' job or a 'girls' job because I do it all.

Same with clothes, she wears a variety of colours, from black (my fave) to Pink. She shows little preference to colour or 'job'. I'm quite stringent in my raising of her to understand that although we, as women, can do whatever we want career wise etc, the fact is, sexism and gender stereotyping is rife and very real.

I do make a conscious effort not to gender stereotype her I guess. TV does promote gender stereotypes, I try and combat that by showing DD through my living my life iykwim?

UsingMainlySpoons Fri 09-Sep-11 07:33:40

EmsieRo Fri 09-Sep-11 07:36:44

EmsieRo Fri 09-Sep-11 07:40:32

HairyGrotter Fri 09-Sep-11 07:46:09

It's everywhere, just got to try and offer a balanced view IMO lol

minimisschief Fri 09-Sep-11 08:08:51

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things. toys and tv shows have always done this.

UsingMainlySpoons Fri 09-Sep-11 08:09:14

Callisto Fri 09-Sep-11 08:21:27

Gender stereotyping drives me mad. It is so rife in every aspect of life. And even here on MN with that stupid woman discussing her fucking washing powder like it is the most important thing on earth fgs.

Anyways, things you can do? Don't watch TV for a start. I think that the insidiousness of advertising on childrens TV is a great way to start conditioning your child to become a gender-stereotyped consumer. I really can't comment on childrens TV in general because DD has never watched it, partly because I have discouraged TV anyway and partly because she just doesn't like it (apart from wildlife programmes as long as there arn't any small cuddly creatures being eaten, Time Team, Myth Busters and Total Wipeout). But from what I hear it is generally shite that we can all do without.

StrandedBear Fri 09-Sep-11 09:48:47

SardineQueen Fri 09-Sep-11 09:52:02

DD's pinkification went into overdrive when she started nursery at a little over 2.

Short of withdrawing your children from society entirely, you really can't avoid it.

sad

EmsieRo Fri 09-Sep-11 09:54:01

EmsieRo Fri 09-Sep-11 09:57:10

EmsieRo Fri 09-Sep-11 09:58:03

ExpensivePants Fri 09-Sep-11 10:01:47

I don't know. My 3yo's favourite colour is pink but she's a pirate or bob the builder just as often as anything else. She's not too hot on princesses, she prefers witches hmm. She seems fairly well rounded to me so far and she's had free reign with cbeebies. She seems to me to take more notice of what happens with the people around her than cbeebies.

meditrina Fri 09-Sep-11 10:03:39

I suppose the depressing thing is that CBeebies is among the least afflicted channels.

CBBC is a little better - they have equally irritating link presenters of both sexes and not much pink.

WoTmania Fri 09-Sep-11 10:04:00

YANBU - we don't have 'pumped in' TV for this very reason. The comments and stereotyping are bad enough from my family and friends, let alone adding in influence of TV.

Cocoflower Fri 09-Sep-11 10:04:59

So, you say most of the actual programmes "seem great"

Yet there is one small ident showing a very normal, feminie image.

Shouldn't you want a balance showing everyone is different then- some girls may not want to be princesses, some do?

Why hide the fact some girls do like being a princess and cooking? Should we feel ashamed of this?

UsingMainlySpoons Fri 09-Sep-11 10:05:41

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now