Talk

Advanced search

To expect my son's yr 4 teacher to be older

(269 Posts)
katedan Thu 08-Sep-11 21:17:17

I know it is like policeman and a sign I am getting older but WTF she is 22 and this is her first teaching job a class of 35 8/9 yr olds. She seemed so out of her depth and it is only day 2.

I am really worried she will not be able to keep the class interested and the standard of my son's education will suffer.

AIBU?

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Thu 08-Sep-11 21:18:13

YABU Think about it.

Beamur Thu 08-Sep-11 21:18:22

Yep.

worraliberty Thu 08-Sep-11 21:18:43

Were you there with her all day to note she seemed out of her depth?

TheGhostNotMe Thu 08-Sep-11 21:19:11

YABU. She's an NQT. Every teacher started as one. You arent in the classroom all day to see how she's getting on. You are judging her on her age and appearance. She would have been interviewed for this job - and this could be her 2nd year of teaching if she'd followed the GTP afterall.

Would you judge a 40yr old NQT in the same way?

cardibach Thu 08-Sep-11 21:19:35

How do you think teachers get to be more experienced? hmm

aleene Thu 08-Sep-11 21:20:03

Give the girl a chance! Everyone has to have a first day in a first job so be a bit more supportive. She has worked hard to get this job so give her a smile and a compliment.

YABU

ObviouslyOblivious Thu 08-Sep-11 21:20:49

She probably thinks all the children's parents are old codgers. YABU

needanewname Thu 08-Sep-11 21:21:21

Just face it, like the rest of us, you are getting older grin

aldiwhore Thu 08-Sep-11 21:21:30

You are being incredibly U and old.... I was shocked too, the first time I met my eldest's teacher last year. She was an NQT, same age as your child's teacher, and LOOKED very young... she was absolutely unquestionably BRILLIANT.

NOt because she was young, but she's a natural and also completely up to date with current teaching practice (not that older ones aren't, just that what they have in experience they sometimes lack in a 'by the current book' attitude).

This year my son has two teachers, one young funky NQT, and one older experienced male teacher, I honestly couldn't be happier.

YABU, but I understand your reaction, I was there.

ByTheSea Thu 08-Sep-11 21:21:49

Last year DD2 had a very young and inexperienced Year 4 teacher. She was fantastic!

Hulababy Thu 08-Sep-11 21:21:55

So, where exactly should newly qualified teachers be allowed to teach then? hmm

As an NQT in secondary I was stood in front of classes of 11 to 18 year olds every day. I was only 4 years older than my oldest students; I looked younger than some of them and I was definitely shorter than many.

Oddly enough I still was able to survive and taught them well too.

halcyondays Thu 08-Sep-11 21:22:12

Well, they have to start somewhere. A new teacher may be more enthusiastic than an older one who's counting down the days until retirement.

southeastastra Thu 08-Sep-11 21:22:19

i would be worried to tbh - no one wants a nqt to teach at that level, can't they start at years 1 or 2?

Panzee Thu 08-Sep-11 21:22:30

She'll get more attention and help than the more experienced ones. So it's like having two teachers.
And she'll be all young, energetic and keen. Not old, knackered and jaded like me. grin

Flisspaps Thu 08-Sep-11 21:22:33

YABU.

StrandedBear Thu 08-Sep-11 21:23:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vallhala Thu 08-Sep-11 21:23:25

She's been there two whole days? Blimey!

If she is still out of her depth in 2 month's time, then start getting a bit worried.

Themumsnot Thu 08-Sep-11 21:24:04

So, SEA, you think teaching younger children is easier than teaching older children? I think many teachers would disagree.

worraliberty Thu 08-Sep-11 21:24:10

southeastra why would starting in yrs 1 or 2 be better?

Flisspaps Thu 08-Sep-11 21:24:15

southeastastra If no-one wants NQTs to teach at KS2, where on earth do you think the KS3 and 4 teachers start?

fanjobiscuit Thu 08-Sep-11 21:24:18

Or did you think that teachers start in nursery school and are 'promoted' up to the giddy heights of y 6 when they have proved themselves?

NettoSuperstar Thu 08-Sep-11 21:24:21

Yabu and ridiculous.

Saying that I hate dd's teachers being young, as they make me look old.

On the other hand she had a male teacher in P2 who was hot, and when I was made to join in the country dancing he was there.

All the Mums were trying to dance with him, whlist pretending they weren't!

Carrotsandcelery Thu 08-Sep-11 21:24:35

I started teaching English at age 22, several classes of 31 hormonal teenagers a day, Standard Grade, Higher and SYS. My Higher class got more A's than anyone's had previously, as did my SYS class and my Standard Grade classes got more 1's and 2's than the head of departments. I don't mean to boast but at that age you are still brim full of energy, enthusiasm, laughs, open mindedness, open to advice etc.

If I were you, I would worry about when they get a class with an ancient, frazzled, close to retirement, burnt out teacher, not the new and enthusiastic etc

<disclaimer - I have worked with many who are as enthusiastic on their final day teaching as they probably were on their first, but you get my point grin>

ProfessionallyOffendedGoblin Thu 08-Sep-11 21:24:35

Our NQTs are enthusiastic, imaginative and have boundless energy and enthusiasm. Just about the only thing they can learn from jaded old bats like me is how to cope with the realities of the nastiness of life and how to manage judgemental parents with kid gloves and no emotional engagement.
Everyone is out of their depth in the first three days.
I sometimes feel that many parents aren't up to the job and am often pleasantly surprised. Perhaps you will be too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now