Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to point out that "pacifically" means...

(13 Posts)
Insomnia11 Thu 08-Sep-11 15:34:18

..."in a peaceful manner". Or presumably, could mean, colloquially speaking "in the manner of a great expanse, like the Pacific Ocean".

The latter being almost diametrically opposite to "specifcally", which I think is what you meant?

I think it's only fair, for the good of the nation.

scurryfunge Thu 08-Sep-11 15:36:30

Can you be more pacific please?

scuzy Thu 08-Sep-11 15:36:49

are you referring to a pacific thread??

Madlizzy Thu 08-Sep-11 15:38:08

Or even specifically. :P

scuzy Thu 08-Sep-11 15:38:49

ha ha well spotted madlizzy! i LOVE when that happens!!!!!

NodsSmilesandBacksAway Thu 08-Sep-11 15:39:29

thats unasseptable!

Insomnia11 Thu 08-Sep-11 15:49:11

Ha ha ha, I knew there would be a spelling mistake somewhere! Hazards of pedantry.

I was sat through an accountant giving a talk and he said "pacifically" 50 or so times all the way through. By the end I was practically rocking on my chair smile

Madlizzy Thu 08-Sep-11 15:57:15

I would have been tempted to beat him round the head, with a slap for each syllable. "SPE-cif-ic-all-y, you pea brained dickwit!"

SardineQueen Thu 08-Sep-11 16:42:20

Ouch @ pedant being "sat" through a meeting - my mum would have a coronary!

I heard someone say pacifically IRL for teh first time the other day - I didn't realise it actually happened!

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 08-Sep-11 16:44:02

"was sad" is actually more of a dialect thing though, SQ. It tends to be something that Yorkshire/Northern folk might say.

Along with things like "the cat needs feeding" as opposed to "the cat needs to be fed"

diddl Thu 08-Sep-11 16:48:29

"I was sat through an accountant giving a talk"

Sorry, but what does that even mean?

As annoying as "pacifically" is, it´s still possible to make sense of what is said.

SardineQueen Thu 08-Sep-11 17:48:34

People say it around here all the time - I think it is becoming a standard expression. It still makes my mum twitch!

Witchofthenorth Thu 08-Sep-11 17:57:39

I hate it hate it hate it. My MIL and SIL do and say things like this all the time.....

All exclusive holiday instead of all inclusive
Funral instead of funeral
Pacifically is their all time favourite though!

There are more but they have been away on holiday and my mind has decided to erase memories smile by Monday all will be back to normal and I shall return to make you all cry smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now