Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

not really an AIBU but more of a do you/would you/does anybody at your workplace

(7 Posts)
woowoo2 Thu 08-Sep-11 15:05:53

tell tales on one another?

I.e - using the internet, making personal calls, etc.

What are your views on telling on colleagues

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 08-Sep-11 15:08:29

No one likes a grass.

MrBloomsNursery Thu 08-Sep-11 15:10:00

Yes I did, when I got pissed off with being told not to talk to work colleagues in my workplace, but people in the next room would sit on skype all day chatting to friends without doing any work. I bought it up in an appraisal about how unfair it was, and was two-faced of the manager to allow it.

fanjobanjowanjo Thu 08-Sep-11 15:14:52

I wouldn't - give and take as long as everyone's pulling their weight. It's very petty to involve yourself in telling tales like this unless its for a very valid reason.

TheArmadillo Thu 08-Sep-11 15:22:13

I try not to and I wouldn't if it was surfing internet/making or taking personal phonecalls when working as its nothing to do with me whether a colleague is doing their work or not, its the managers business to recognise and sort out - even if it impacts on me/my work. But then my manager would notice IYSWIM and does and pulls people up on it.

And if it is impacting on my work then I'd approach my manager about my workload being too heavy (in it being my problem, not getting involved in what others are doing), as any manager should be able to realise what is causing it or look at work rates/stats or similar.

There are times I do approach my manager re colleagues. First is if I think they are doing something wrong, after I've approached said colleague about it and they insist they're right, and take a 'seeking clarification on how we are supposed to do this as me and x have different methods' way.

Also if I was having a 'personality clash' with one of my colleagues (i.e. they were being an arse) and it had gone to far (shouting, being rude/disrespectful, bullying) then I would also go to my manager.

eurochick Thu 08-Sep-11 15:51:27

Absolutely not in relation to my colleagues.

But I would pull up those who report to me if I noticed excessive use.

create Thu 08-Sep-11 15:59:58

As Eurochick says.

If they can get away with it without impacting on thier work it doesn't matter. If it is impacting on their work, then their general unsatisfactory performance should be dealt with by thier line manager

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now