Talk

Advanced search

To think an adult should have more sense regarding their kid's diet???

(6 Posts)
MutantPubicCrabs Thu 08-Sep-11 13:13:03

I was talking to a bloke a week or so ago who told me his 15 year old DD was putting on loads of weight (weighed 9st 3lbs at 5ft 4") and she was going on a diet. I asked why she'd put on so much weight and he said they get take-away AFTER their tea around twice a week and spend around £30 a week on biscuits, crisps, sweets etc throughout the week. They were both putting on weight. Hardly suprising hmm
So anyway they're now on a diet and he told me yesterday "oh DD is doing really well, she now weighs 8 and a half stone". So she's lost half a stone in the matter of days? hmm and he then went on to say "she has an apple for her breakfast, a small sandwich for her lunch and a tiny portion for dinner and that's it" and he was really pleased about this. I said "an apple is NOT enough for her breakfast!" and he said "is it not?" and pulled a face that suggested he didn't really give a shit as long as she lost weight.

AIBU in thinking it must take someone pretty bloody stupid to think this approach to your kid's diet is healthy??

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Thu 08-Sep-11 13:14:39

So there's another girl with eating and food issues for the rest of her life. How irresponsible!

RudeEnglishLady Thu 08-Sep-11 13:16:56

YABU and a bit mean. He's at least trying to fix the situation - not everyone is a dietary expert like you y'know smile

If you must point out his error, perhaps just nicely ask if he could take some advice from the school nurse or his GP.

MutantPubicCrabs Thu 08-Sep-11 13:17:23

They're both yo yo dieters but by the sounds of it he is teaching her the ways of the yo yo dieter. One time he told me he was going on a diet started Monday so in the meantime he was eating as much as possible hmm then when his diet started he was having a sugar free redbull for breakfast, a cereal bar for lunch and a sandwich for dinner. This lasted two days before he exploded in a ravenous descent on the cupboards and fridge which subsequently say him put ON 3lbs.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Thu 08-Sep-11 13:27:10

Has he worked out her bmi? There are plenty of websites that you can calculate it on, and it can give him good advice on the sensible way to become healthier. Upping their exercise would be a good place to start!

Papyrus Thu 08-Sep-11 13:30:02

9st 3lb at 5'4 is hardly massive. Yes if she'd noticed that she was starting to put on weight by all means cut out the crap/takeaways etc. But no need to go to such extreme lengths. Really at 15 she shouldn't be dieting at all; much better to do more exersise to tone up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now