Talk

Advanced search

To stop boys going to Karate twice a week so I can sing?

(12 Posts)
ThePosieParker Thu 08-Sep-11 11:53:50

My oldest two are 8,9. Karate is twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday. It's quite late and bedtime is no sooner than 8.30 on these days.

I do nothing, I don't work and have few acitivites, none, outside the home. I used to sing in my youth, I love it, and have an opportunity to sing in Rock Choir on a Thursday. It would mean boys cutting Thursday night Karate, no other option on lift share or babysitting.

I really want to do it but feel guilty about cutting their class.

DS1 also does drama at the weekend and they both do tennis on a Saturday afternoon, French club in the week after school and DS1 does football.

No, yanbu. They'll still have Tuesday night karate, and it's important to have something for yourself.

woowoo2 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:56:54

No YANBU.

I am jealous though, are you in the UK? If so where abouts?

emsyj Thu 08-Sep-11 11:58:16

YANBU. In a couple of years when they're at secondary school will they be able to go there under their own steam anyway? Bit young now perhaps, but not long til they are able to just get on a bus and take themselves to karate on a Thursday if they want to.

Do the singing.

ScarletLady01 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:58:45

Rock Choir sounds amazing! I've never heard of it...is it what it sounds like?

I don't think YABU. As PP said it's important to do something for yourself.

YANBU - they will still be going it once a week and they have other stuff as well.

You need to do something for yourself so go for it, it will be fab!!

mummymccar Thu 08-Sep-11 11:59:15

No YANBU as long as you aren't cutting it out completely. I'm sure the Sensei will give you hell for it and try to tell you that they need to come to both sessions but don't listen - they don't! Enjoy the singing!

itisnearlysummer Thu 08-Sep-11 12:01:26

YANBU.

Your children sound like they do a fair bit of stuff already, no need to feel guilty about it (although you probably still will do, until you start having so much fun...)

It's true, you need to do stuff for yourself and think about how proud your children will be when they go to see you perform. And that is just as important for them as doing their own stuff is.

Have fun!

ThePosieParker Thu 08-Sep-11 12:03:05

I'm in Bristol there are 'Rock Choirs' all over the place I think.

ThePosieParker Thu 08-Sep-11 12:03:51

find one near you

woowoo2 Thu 08-Sep-11 12:23:11

Thank you smile

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 08-Sep-11 14:07:55

go for it, you need time for yourself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now