Talk

Advanced search

To buy this flooring for the bedrooms in my flat after finding out

(51 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Thu 08-Sep-11 10:44:10

DS2 hasn't got over his carpet fibre allergy?

DS1 wants this

or this

and this for DS2 and my bedrooms

I thought it would be ok but have had some people say it will look tacky, I can't afford laminate flooring and this is the next best thing I reckon. I plan to have a rug in DS1 and my bedrooms and to find something to go on DS2's floor to make it more comfortable to sit and play.

agedknees Thu 08-Sep-11 11:07:00

Ladyevenstar, check your lease because some flats prohibit 'hard' floor coverings especially in bedrooms. Would not like you to waste money.

Rowena8482 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:08:53

Are the people who say it will look tacky offering to pay for a different "untacky" floor covering that is suitable for your needs and meets their aesthetic criteria? If not they can fuck off go away, what business is it of theirs if your bedroom floors are not to their taste?

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 08-Sep-11 11:12:12

Aged, I am ok to have hard flooring as long as I have a decent underlay which I already have as I got it when I laid my carpets.

Rowena, oddly enough no they aren't grin

vic77en Thu 08-Sep-11 11:12:24

Have you seen it in the shop?
If so, you like it and it helps with your son's allergy then go for it.
How much time do those who have said "it's tacky" spend in your bedrooms that they are entitled to an opinion?

fedupdownhere Thu 08-Sep-11 11:18:28

we are putting something similar down in our bedrooms we found some that has felt backing on it that will help with the sound, a friend has done it in her whole flat and looks nice and feels warm underfoot unlike the laminate floor we have down stairs which even feels cold in summer sad

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 08-Sep-11 11:18:33

Vic, yes I have seen it down. I had the metal looking one previously in another flat but it was in the kitchen.

Only me and the DC go in the bedrooms so its not really an issue.

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 08-Sep-11 11:20:06

FedUp, thanks for that, I didn't know you could get felt backed vinyl. I will have to look again now :D

missnevermind Thu 08-Sep-11 11:20:52

Ooh we looked at those earlier in the week. Lino is nothing like it to be. Some really fab designs too.
That first one is embossed really good effect, my friend was looking at it for her bathroom.

fedupdownhere Thu 08-Sep-11 11:24:27

I found it on ebay but then did some research and found a couple of other places some of it is more expensive than carpet shock

missnevermind Thu 08-Sep-11 11:26:23

We are moving somewhere that has really cheap laminate that is a bit worn and had thought about laying that last one on top of it so that you still get that little bounce effect from the laminate when you walk.

Tonksforthememories Thu 08-Sep-11 11:29:06

We have Rhino Floor in our bathroom, it's fab and warm but we've only got it because the insurance paid for it!

Your friends may think it looks tacky, but if you hadn't mentioned it to them would they even notice??

piratecat Thu 08-Sep-11 11:31:42

i am thinking that some vinyls look great, i like the idea, esp if it feels warner under foot.

the cheapest thing i have found, is vinyl planks/strips with wood effect for my living room. most of the the floor is covered by furniture and a rug. they are self adhesive and simple to lay. can't afford to get someone to do that.

I used a self adhesive vinyl square tile for my old flat in London yrs back, it looked really cool, from B&Q. sort of granite effect.

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 08-Sep-11 11:37:43

Glad I am not alone in liking vinyl flooring.

It is so very different to how it used to be.

piratecat Thu 08-Sep-11 11:44:35

here is a website with something similar ladyevenstar

including a similar one but in tile

Honeypie80 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:45:42

Hiya

who cares if nobody else doesnt like it, you do (and tbh i do too just got it for my bathroom and it looks nice) but just check out b&q they do roll ends of the stuff in various sizes and its a lot cheaper than carpet right!

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 08-Sep-11 11:52:37

Thanks Pirate!

Honey, cheers for that am off to have a look now!

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Thu 08-Sep-11 12:38:46

I am putting down vinyl in my son's room which is wood effect and I am very pleased with it. I have previously bought from here and have been very pleased with the service so am looking forward to the delivery next week. The vinyl I have is £6.99 pm and is sound reducing.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Thu 08-Sep-11 12:40:27

Actually the one I have bought is £5.99 pm and they send you samples if you want to check it out.

paddypoopants Thu 08-Sep-11 12:50:18

It's not advisable to put vinyl down on carpet underlay as the surface under the vinyl has to be hard otherwise heavy things will pierce it- ie high heeled shoes, furniture etc. and the vinyl will be ruined very quickly. Ideally you need a hard underlay like hardboard.
If you are going with vinyl I got some top quality vinyl off ebay-rollends- even with delivery it was v v cheap.

mumsamilitant Thu 08-Sep-11 12:57:10

I work for a flooring company so if you have any questions just ask away. What you are looking at is called cushion vinyl. It's also very realistic these days. Best stuff for going over uneven surfaces too.

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 08-Sep-11 14:09:43

can anyone conver this for me into feet and inches?
3.5m x 3m

mumsamilitant Thu 08-Sep-11 14:29:19

11ft 4ins approx (3.5)
9ft 8ins approx (3m)

MorrisZapp Thu 08-Sep-11 14:32:50

Presumably the people who think it will look tacky were asked 'hey, do you like this flooring?' and gave honest answers. I can't think how else it came up in convo.

cestlavielife Thu 08-Sep-11 14:34:50

the wood effect ones are great many people wont even realise it's not laminate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now