Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? NO not remotely, but I need to hear some voices of reason before I throttle someone

(9 Posts)
ViviPru Thu 08-Sep-11 09:12:37

I'm having some complex ongoing bank breaking private dental treatment to repair what was essentially a botch job by an NHS dentist. I'm at the final stage of this treatment and have an appt today which I'm apprehensive about (going to the the dentist - who wouldn't be) yet relieved as it marks the end of a long and painful process.

I've just taken a phone call from the practice informing me that my appointment has to be cancelled as the dentist is off sick. Well that wouldn't be so bad had they not mistakenly booked me in today with the original botch-job NHS dentist. AAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

I distinctly remember making the appointment and specifying the private dentist (who is brilliant btw). Naturally I informed the receptionist that there had been a mistake and firmly requested the correct appointment today . Particularly since there have been some unexpected complications since my last appt with her. Receptionist had the nerve to point out that "it would be considerably more expensive" with Mrs. X. Err - hello?! I've already paid half the bill - no one knows this fact better than I. Surely she has it all in front of her plain as day via the expensive software my dental bills are contributing toward??

Thankfully, she was able to give me an appt with the correct dentist today, and I know its just a mistake, people make mistakes, but I'm absolutely seething. I've taken another afternoon off work for this, had Mr. botch-job not been off sick I'd have rocked up none the wiser, and no doubt been too late to switch appointments.

Had this not been the final straw in a long-running saga of pain and annoyance, I might be a bit more understanding, but as it stands I just want to drive there now and strangulate the girl.

Please can someone just spin my perspective - maybe the receptionist is going through a particularly difficult time at home etc etc. And breathe. Funny how AIBU has a calming effect. I almost want to hug her now.

pineapple70 Thu 08-Sep-11 09:15:10

Have a cup of tea and ... breathe....

SparklyCloud Thu 08-Sep-11 09:20:08

YANBU.
This would piss me right off, you are a private patient and as such, would expect more of a personal service.
I will say though, it sounds like not only is the original dentist a nob, so is this receptionist. I don't go private yet we all get treated very well at our practice. No cock ups, lovely dentist who takes his time, very, very good treatment. So I would deffo be expecting that if I had paid privately for it!

whattodoo Thu 08-Sep-11 09:20:29

Sounds a nightmare. Hope you've got it off your chest now, and that you're thinking happy thoughts in readiness for the final (hurrah!) treatment.
In 12 hours time (or less) you'll be free of all this and can give them all a sunny smile goodbye.

Perhaps it would be good to plan a letter to the practice (to send in a few days when you've recovered from this nightmare) detailing all the problems you've encountered and then seek out another NHS dentist at a different practice.

Hope all goes well today.

CailinDana Thu 08-Sep-11 09:20:48

To be fair it's an easy enough mistake to make, especially with a computer programme. In the olden days (back when I was a lass....) the receptionist would have had to take out a separate appointment book for each dentist, but now she probably has a drop-down menu where she selects one or other name. With things like that it's very easy to make a mistake. Plus, when she rang you, you were just a name on a list, she wouldn't have had any of your other details in front of her as there was no need for them, so that's why she didn't realise you had paid half your bill.

You're stressed because of the dentist and the time off you have to take. She doesn't know what's going on with you and is human and makes mistakes. It's very annoying and shouldn't happen but unfortunately it does.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 08-Sep-11 09:22:24

Of course YANBU. My DD was at the dentist yesterday. The receptionist there had such a thick Liverpool accent I couldn't understand what she was saying.
I really struggled and must have sounded a complete plank when I asked to see the appt book to make DD a new check up time next year.

ViviPru Thu 08-Sep-11 09:23:27

you are all brilliant - thank you smile

Flowerista Thu 08-Sep-11 09:27:19

On the plus side if they hadn't cocked it up in the first place you wouldn't have got the outcome you initially requested. By the time this day ends all your toothy problems will have disappeared and you can have a celebratory wine just don't read the thread about the poor OP contemplating dentures.

ViviPru Thu 08-Sep-11 14:32:22

Well it's (hopefully) all sorted. Took solace in the fact that my dentist who'd had no idea any of this had happened was livid on my behalf, especially since today's hastily rescheduled appt wasn't long enough for the procedure. She and her hygienist gave up their lunch breaks to treat me. Restores the faith.

Thanks to those who prevented me from bursting a blood vessel this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now