Talk

Advanced search

I have a difficult decision to make. Need MN to help me, please be gentle.

(76 Posts)
TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:00:59

I will start by saying I am a reg who has name changed.

I do have a big decision to make, basically when I was pg with my youngest child I started to have dental problems.

Well it got to the stage where once I had my youngest I had 5 teeth removed, and I am left with the rest but 8 are badly damaged.

I am only in my mid 30's I have now to decide whether to have the rest out and have dentures or to carry on having them repaired one by one and run the risk of them getting worse.

I rarely smile anymore because of my teeth and when I do I do it in a way that my teeth don't show.

To some this would seem a no brainer but I feel ridiculous having to decide whether to have dentures or not at my age. sad

BeatRoute Thu 08-Sep-11 01:08:30

I also started having dental issues when pregnant with my first DC. I told my dentist I just wanted done with all the problems and get dentures and she told me in no uncertain terns that is was much better to try and save the teeth I had rather than get rid and have falsies.

What has your dentist said? Did they suggest dentures?

madhattershouse Thu 08-Sep-11 01:08:59

If it is causing you to feel you can't smile then the dentures would be a better option. Is better to smile to your kids with false teeth than not smile. You will feel more confident too.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 08-Sep-11 01:09:20

When my granny (born 1902) got married, the village clubbed together to have her teeth removed and dentures fitted as a wedding present. She was 19.

Obviously dentistry has moved on, but I also have a friend who is slowly losing her teeth due to a long term health issue, and who is finding each step harder than than the one before.

Only you can decide which say to go.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 08-Sep-11 01:10:10

way

TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:10:47

Beat, they have suggested it as an option. The other option would be a bridge?? but I would have to pay for it and apparently that would also depend on whether there is a good enough fixture for them.

I haven't had toothache for ages but I can feel another infection coming up.

Pang Thu 08-Sep-11 01:11:12

Is it possible to get permanent crowns to strengthen the damaged teeth?

scchtum Thu 08-Sep-11 01:11:56

I think that you are in your mid thirties, you should be able to smile, without feeling shit about it.

TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:12:29

Mad, i just don't smile and I think what has brought it to a head for me is my youngest asking me to "see your broken tooth mummy" sad

TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:13:21

Pang, some I feel are far too damaged, they broke like nobodies business during pregnancy.

jasper Thu 08-Sep-11 01:14:04

Do you have a dentist you get on with and trust?
if not, find one. Ask your friends for recommendations.

Discuss it in detail with your dentist. If you don't feel at ease with them , get another dentist's opinion.

In the meantime, follow the usual advice for caring for your teeth - avoiding sugary snacks and drinks, especially between meals, brush twice daily with a fluoridated paste and then spit but don't rinse.

Real teeth are better than any denture but it does depend on how much your teeth have deteriorated. I have made dentures for very young patients whose teeth have been basically beyond repair - they are usually absolutely delighted with the results. However I also see many patients who have real problems adapting to dentures. Do you currently have a partial denture?

Other times i have worked extensively on very poor teeth to achieve great results , and again the patient has been delighted.

I've been an NHS dentist for over 20 years and have seen all scenarios.

Every case is different but it is impossible to be specific without examining your teeth. I hope this is of some help.

madhattershouse Thu 08-Sep-11 01:14:29

Ask if the bridge is possible. Get them to check out the teeth for that possibility before you go down the denture route. My dad has had a bridge for over 10 years and the other teeth have been fine but if he suffers any more gum recession they will have to go to dentures. Ask them, it's expensive whatever way IME.

TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:17:45

Jasper, I have always taken care of my teeth. During pregnancy with DS1 they suffered a minimal amount. With DS2 they took a real beating.
I don't eat sweets or sugary snacks. I brush more than twice a day otherwise I get sore gums.

jasper Thu 08-Sep-11 01:17:46

Do you smoke?

nakedandangry Thu 08-Sep-11 01:17:52

Can you get them repaired on the NHS (sorry if I've missed something here).

Try and save them if you can. Not everyone gets on with dentures.

My old mum for example, has several 'dead' teeth that have been rescued through root canal work, and her teeth look as good as new tbh.

nakedandangry Thu 08-Sep-11 01:19:25

oh sorry x-posted to evryone

jasper Thu 08-Sep-11 01:20:43

Are your teeth actually decayed/broken , or do you have a problem with your periodontal condition?(bone and gums which support the teeth)?

TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:20:45

I do smoke occassionaly, normally when I am out socially which is not often smile

jasper Thu 08-Sep-11 01:21:46

what do you drink between meals?
DO you take sugar in tea or coffee?

TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:22:17

Jasper, 8 are broken 1 is decayed.

There is another issue but thats with a wisdom tooth which when I had an xray was discovered to have grown wonderfully .......................inside the gum and sideways.

TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:23:54

Water, milk, juice.

Coffee I take sweetner but if i run out will use sugar.

I don't drink tea at all.

TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:24:14

oh and sometimes pepsi ut that is only sometimes.

jasper Thu 08-Sep-11 01:24:55

and you have a visible gap? where exactly and how many teeth were in the gap space?

DO you get any symptoms from the buried wisdom tooth? If not, it is not an issue whatsoever. WE see buried wisdom teeth as incidental findings on x rays all the time

TooYoungForThis Thu 08-Sep-11 01:30:28

Jasper,

I have visible broken teeth the ones which were removed are at the back.
The dentist is insistant that the damage caused to aback tooth was because of the wisdom tooth. It had grown into the root and pushed it to an angle. It causes me some grief and I have a large lump on the gum where the tooth is iyswim?

dreamingbohemian Thu 08-Sep-11 08:45:06

OP i'm so sorry you're going through this.

one of my close relatives had to get full dentures when he was around 40 -- he was absolutely gutted, but in the end he adapted quite quickly and they were rather subtle, no one really noticed anything unless you knew he had them. And he smiled a lot more! Which was lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now