Talk

Advanced search

To have been slightly disgusted by this?

(82 Posts)
A1980 Wed 07-Sep-11 22:15:28

I was waiting in a till queue today in a department store. Someone in the queue has a baby in a buggy and she looks about 13-14 months.

Her mum is feeding her a chicken nuggets Happy Meal from McDonalds. Don't really have a problem with the odd mcdonalds for children as it's not that unhealthy calorie wise and as long as it's only once in a while. I did think it a bit gross that she was feeding her while in a shop queue for the tills though. Although the child was old enough to chew some solid food, the mum wasn't giving it straight to her. She chewed up the fries and pieces of nugget in her mouth first, spat it out into her hand and then fed it to the child.

Is this normal? Please feel free to enlighten me as I don't yet have children. I felt slightly sick watching it! The till operater didn't look too impressed when she served her and took cash from the hands she spat food into to.

thisisyesterday Wed 07-Sep-11 22:17:06

i can only imagine the child has some kind of special needs and can't chew?

i'll be honest, I have heard of this (google kiss feeding) but only ever for weaning babies, not for toddlers

and if i did it i would definitely have at least used a baby wipe or something on my hand before doing the whole money thing!

worraliberty Wed 07-Sep-11 22:19:31

That's gross

But not as gross as Mums sucking the snot out of their babies noses

<vomits>

magicmelons Wed 07-Sep-11 22:19:37

I'm sure someone will be along to flame your judgey pants in a second, i'm too warn out.

winnybella Wed 07-Sep-11 22:20:08

YANBU. Of course the child might have special needs- but then you would think the mother would have brought pureed food with her.

<shudder>

winnybella Wed 07-Sep-11 22:20:47

Jesus, worraliberty-surely no one does it??? <faints>

A1980 Wed 07-Sep-11 22:21:23

She didnt seem to have SN. She was chewing it seemingly quite normally even after her mum had given it to her but then of course I wouldn't know if she had SN or not.

Interesting. I didn't seem too hygenic for baby either while mum is out and about shopping.

G1nger Wed 07-Sep-11 22:22:13

I'd vom. I'm sure of it.

troisgarcons Wed 07-Sep-11 22:22:40

I'm going to "gross you out further"

I was on a train once and a black African woman leaned over her baby (in arms, maybe 3-4 months) who had a heavy cold and placed her mouth over his nose and sucked out the snot.

Regretfully, I had to immediately alight and copiously chuck up all over the platform.

Chewing food for a toddler pales in comparison.

A1980 Wed 07-Sep-11 22:23:32

I'm sure someone will be along to flame your judgey pants in a second, i'm too warn out.

I'm sure they will. Can't really be arsed though, fine if they want to I did say i was open to being enlightened but the enlightening needn't be rude! grin

aldiwhore Wed 07-Sep-11 22:23:33

Bit gross but I don't have a major issue with it.... not really.

I'll probably see something similar tomorrow and feel so grossed out I'll post it on here, so feel free to remind me, I'm just rather chilled out tonight!

needtogetalife Wed 07-Sep-11 22:26:42

eww eww eww at the snot sucking!!

herbietea Wed 07-Sep-11 22:28:13

Message withdrawn

twag Wed 07-Sep-11 22:30:58

That is abit gross, howeever if my baby had a cold and the snot needed sucking out then i would do it.

FunnysInTheGarden Wed 07-Sep-11 22:34:33

revolting. Just break it up into smaller bits. You are being a bit judge by referring to McDonalds, but overall YANBU. Would you have felt less disgusted if it had been carrot sticks and humous though?

worraliberty Wed 07-Sep-11 22:34:48

Yes Winny...an African lady in my local chemist did that in front of me.

But more odd than that...when I posted about it on a forum (not this one) at least 3 or 4 people said they did the same thing and didn't have a problem with it confused

twag Wed 07-Sep-11 22:37:01

i dont see the problem with snot scking either confused

G1nger Wed 07-Sep-11 22:37:11

Snot-gobblers! Now I've heard it all.

A1980 Wed 07-Sep-11 22:39:35

You are being a bit judge by referring to McDonalds, but overall YANBU

No I'm not. I already said i don't have a problem with McDonalds. Shock horror even I went there as a child. It's just to say waht was being eaten by the child. I would have though it equally gross with any type of food as it's unhygenic while out shopping.

LynetteScavo Wed 07-Sep-11 22:39:51

I only clicked on this thread because I thought I might like to share in your little bit of disgust, but EWWWWE!!! There is no excuse, so no one even try.

RedOnion Wed 07-Sep-11 22:40:47

How can anyone possibly say that sucking snot out of another human beings nose is an acceptable practice. I mean come ON!

RedOnion Wed 07-Sep-11 22:41:21

YABU OP because I now could murder a cheeseburger and a latte. In fact, go get me one grin

slavetofilofax Wed 07-Sep-11 22:41:42

Eww. That's vile.

I've seen the snot thing done too, also vile. My Nigerian Aunt (married into the family) did that to my cousin when she was a baby, and I've never been able to get the image out if my head. I was about 11 at the time.

Although when I had babies and they got snotty and I tried and failed to remove snot from little noses with one of those big rubber syringe type things, I did kind of see why she did it.

A1980 Wed 07-Sep-11 22:42:59

I don't get the snot thing either. Never heard of that. Don't they have those bulb things designed to unblock a babys nose? If you know your child has a cold, take it with you?

RedOnion Wed 07-Sep-11 22:43:02

I will admit to being very PFB with my daughter in her early years. I would cut up carrot sticks into about 40 tiny tiny pieces to prevent choking blush.

Course now she has to fight the rest for scraps from the carcass of the cow/roadkill. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now