Talk

Advanced search

To suggest MNHQ should get a double adapter?

(20 Posts)
HowlingBitch Wed 07-Sep-11 22:02:34

Someone said in a thread a while ago that when MN is "updating" that they have actually taken to wrong plug out to plug in the kettle.

Whoever posted this may I just say that this is now what I imagine happens every time there is an update! grin

I also still imagine MNHQ decorated in 80s style Christmas decorations all year round.

Odd.

Rowena8482 Wed 07-Sep-11 22:05:41

I once managed to crash one of the university computers at the exact moment there was an almighty BANG and the "thingy" did "thingy" and the brand new several million pound Technology Centre went very very dark and very very quiet....
Found out later it was some absent minded professor wankerfool type plugging a kettle into totally overloaded socket, but it frightened the life out of me - I thought I broke the university!

KurriKurri Wed 07-Sep-11 22:12:37

I've always just assumed they are having a doughnut and latte break, and the update sign just gets popped up so nothing kicks off meanwhile. It's a bit like a Do Not Disturb sign.

But definitely yes to the 80's Christmas decs. all year round, [[grin

KurriKurri Wed 07-Sep-11 22:13:10

grin - I can do it really

ManicPanic Wed 07-Sep-11 22:13:33

I was sure this was going to be a thread about vibrating double enders.

<leaves crestfallen>

HowlingBitch Wed 07-Sep-11 22:14:02

That would have been terrifying!

StealthPolarBear Wed 07-Sep-11 22:15:32

DH and I once went to the library at university when we had both just started our computer courses. We started doing what we were trying to do (programming, I think, on Linux) and we weren't very good at it. Anyway, it ended with both machines dying the blue screen of death and presenting that heartsinking "Beginning dump of physical memory...physical memory dump complete" message. We put our coats over our heads and crept out so no-one would see us.

PivotPivotPIVOT Wed 07-Sep-11 22:19:28

I remember hearing on the Chris Moyles show that Comedy Dave turned the whole of Radio 1's broadcase off for 5 minutes, because he crept into a techy room to play a game on his laptop, saw a twinkly box thingy plugged in, thought 'what harm would that do' and unplugged the thing and sat there in the quiet happily playing a game.

Apparently he was nearly fired grin

PivotPivotPIVOT Wed 07-Sep-11 22:19:53

Apparently it was during the Simon Mayo morninf show. No harm done, then.

fruitshootsandheaves Wed 07-Sep-11 22:21:21

I think they should put out a posh message along the lines of

MNHQ will be offline for approximately 20 minutes between 9 and 9:30pm as we're all off to the pub for essential maintenance

If emergency advice is needed please pop down to the King's Head

We apologise for any inconvenience

seeker Wed 07-Sep-11 22:26:05

Or they need a thing

HowlingBitch Wed 07-Sep-11 23:08:00

Bahaha @ seeker!

I recently moved home and threw out 5 years worth of wires repeating constantly to DP "I'll buy you a new one if you need it, I'll buy you a new one!"

There must have been around 300 wires that were not used within the past 3 years. Wires belonging to electronics that had broken, "These always come in useful" wires given to us by in laws that they were clearing out and wires that DP had no clue what they were but wanted to keep "Just incase"

I was tempted to make a lovely noose TBH.

seeker Wed 07-Sep-11 23:26:14

The Spooky Men understand that situation so well!

Tianc Wed 07-Sep-11 23:44:11

Haha, have just spent an hour watching the Vote the Bastards Out flashmob and other gems.

Thank you, seeker, I'd never heard of the Spooky Men.

CeeYouNextTuesday Thu 08-Sep-11 00:54:04

grin That happens to my friend all the time! She lives in a mobile home, and has a limited power supply! You cant use the microwave and the kettle at the same time, because the whole place trips out!

MadamDeathstare Thu 08-Sep-11 01:12:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seeker Thu 08-Sep-11 09:35:32

Tianc - have you listened to Tools?

tuxedoprincess Thu 08-Sep-11 10:56:16

thank you for the introduction to spooky men, I am loving them and have been sidetracked to watching them!

seeker Thu 08-Sep-11 11:01:41

I went to a singing workshop with them in the Summer. I have never laughed- or learned- so much in two hours in my life before!

Tianc Fri 09-Sep-11 23:41:04

shock seeker! You have cameras in my shed house.

Or was that you stalking me when I got a leetle excited in B&Q last week... <doesn't get out much>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now