Talk

Advanced search

To send ds to the new after school club...

(6 Posts)
AliMcBooger Wed 07-Sep-11 19:55:08

...when he's the only one there?

DS is 6, just started in yr2.

AS club has only just started as of this term, and is run by a local nursery but on school premises. As of today there are only 2 or 3 children booked in to use it. Typically the two days that I have planned on ds attending (I work four days a week but only need after school childcare for these two days) have nobody booked in- guess that others are a little reticent like me. I hate the thought of him sat there in a quiet empty school with just the AS lady, waiting for me to come and get him sad

Not sure why im posting this really as I do know that I would be unreasonable to send him when he'd be the only one, but it's so bloody frustrating! I am taking leave to collect him and this will be at the expense of being able to take leave during school hols so there will be a cost somewhere. Plus my boss is going to be really cross as I can't tell him when I will be resuming my normal hours and my workload is sky high at the moment so I don't know what I'm going to do sad

I hate being a working mum sometimes, I'm never doing a good enough job at home OR work sad

Sorry I am ranting sad

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 07-Sep-11 20:04:29

In your position I would use the club. For many reasons.
Surely the "AS lady" is experienced in childcare, and ds will be well cared for, and given opportunity to choose activities to do.
Possibly as the club becomes more established, other children will join at a later stage?
Dh and I would be in big trouble work wise if our after school club didn't exist. There is a lack of cms locally, so we have no realistic other option. Neither of us are in a position to tell our bosses we can't do our usual hours, without repercussions such as disciplinary procedure at work.
If you really feel it is not the right option for your ds, without even trying it first, then imo you need to prioritise getting alternative childcare immediately.
Otherwise your ds will potentially be unsettled, you will be stressed at work, and your boss will be very pissed off and rightly so.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

whackamole Wed 07-Sep-11 21:01:52

Why are you being unreasonable to send him when he will be the only one there? If you used a nanny or childminder he also might be the only one there.

FWIW, my DSS went to after school club, and he loved it. There was lego to play with, they had snacks - and they had a TV with a playstation (or similar) as well. He preferred it when there was less kids there as all ages can go so he wasn't having to share with reception age kids.

I agree with cremeegg - if you are not sure you need to make alternative arrangements - it will be worse for a 6 year old to be mucked around with regards to childcare than for him to be in AS club with just the supervisor two afternoons a week.

AliMcBooger Wed 07-Sep-11 21:27:10

I hadn't thought of it like that- as in being like a nanny or cm. It's just that schools without children feel so lonely! I know he will enjoy the club, he goes to breakfast club a couple of times a week at present and loves it (thinks it's an extra playtime!)

aldiwhore Wed 07-Sep-11 21:30:34

I'd send him, its not unreasonable, its only for a short time and what he'll lack in lots of company he'll make up for in one to one attention.

When my kids come home, they're not in a large group, I'm in the kitchen cooking (or whatever..) and they please themselves for an hour or so, its no different really, and probably more fun.

YANBU

ilovejondanby Wed 07-Sep-11 21:35:30

send him, last school year there were times when my 2 were the only ones there - this year, we have had to pre-book after school club for the whole term in advance because it is now so popular

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now