Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be hacked off that DH is in bed with a cold when I am 39+4...

(37 Posts)
Sniffwitch Wed 07-Sep-11 18:25:02

Am 39 +4 with DC3 and in very slow pre-labour... Last few days DH has had a cold so "hasn't really felt up to" doing dishwasher/loading washing machine/any domestic task. Though he did manage to go for a 10K run on Sunday, and got very shirty with me when I suggested it might not be a great plan if he was getting a cold and DC3 was due any day.. He's kept me awakee the last few nights with snotty snoring and today he has moped about, sniffing and coughing, closing his eyes and drifting off to sleep, but REFUSING TO TAKE PARACETAMOL....?!WTF He is now lying in bed, playing with his smartphone, BUT NOT SLEEPING... Whilst I am doing tea/bath/bed with grumbling contractions.
OK, he can't help being ill - and he is genuinely ill -but either he needs to get up and stop moaning, or he needs to make a bit of an effort to get better -take paracetamol and have a nap...surely?!! If I do go into labour tonight I am likely to be so hacked off that I can't stand the sight of him!!

Baffledandbewildered Wed 07-Sep-11 18:30:02

Oh can't help but I feel your pain BLOODY men and colds. Mine is like a baby at the first sniff!!! Good luck and don't strangle him yet as you will need a driver to get to hospital x

Changing2011 Wed 07-Sep-11 18:30:18

Well he sounds ill. I would rather he did this now than when the baby was here to be honest. If I were you. Hope all goes well!

ChristinedePizan Wed 07-Sep-11 18:33:59

OFGS - he's a bit ill but he's hardly at death's door.

Christ I don't know how so many women on here put up with men who refuse to do domestic tasks at the slightest excuse.

Am I right in thinking you're a SAHM and he supports the family? Seems to be a familiar theme hmm

eslteacher Wed 07-Sep-11 18:34:28

YANBU. I've never had a cold anywhere near bad enough that I would find it necessary to stay in bed and leave an on-the-verge-of-labour partner to do everything around the house. I mean if it was something worse, OK, but a COLD, really??

I guess he can't help the snoring and sniffing in the night (though maybe he should offer to sleep in another room) but otherwise you have my full sympathy!

Changing2011 Wed 07-Sep-11 18:39:14

Passes Christine some ketchup for her chips....

I know how you feel op my darling other half spent THREE WEEKS in bed all over Christmas with a cold, if it was anything worse he would have asked for a doctor surely! DD and I spent the whole Christmas holidays stuck at home eating chocolate and playing games. The upside was, as we hadn't done ANYTHING for the whole holidays, we had lots of money to book a holiday with. But Jesus I was ready to kill him, especially with the never ending requests for food, drink and lemsip/bath running/tissues.

SnakeOnCrack Wed 07-Sep-11 18:41:30

I wouldn't put up with this sort of carry on. Get him up.

Flisspaps Wed 07-Sep-11 18:48:07

YANBU.

In your position I would probably have shoved two paracetamol up DH's arse, thrown the phone out of the bloody window and then had a screaming tantrum (think two year old in full swing) until he got his sorry arse out of bed. Fucking furious wouldn't cover it. Who takes to their bed with a cold ever, never mind when your wife is in pre-labour and you've already got two to look after.

If he's sniffy and snotty at night and keeping you up, relegate him to the sofa until he has recovered. You need as much rest as you can get at the moment.

dribbleface Wed 07-Sep-11 18:52:04

oh this brings back memories! DH had a cold when DS was due, i was ho labour, leaning over the stairs and he said 'i could really do without this right now i don't feel well!' he wasn't that ill to be honest. the whole street heard my reply! he still get's stick 3 years on! DC2 due in 4 weeks, i hope he's learnt his lesson. Good luck for birth op, how exciting!

ChaoticAngeloftheUnderworld Wed 07-Sep-11 18:53:32

What Flisspaps said.

Mummyinggnome Wed 07-Sep-11 18:53:36

Lol! Men!
Whilst having had regular contractions and awake all night, when my second was coming we went into hospital - he stopped to get a starbucks on the way.
They're annoying but now I remember and it makes me laugh and I can't remember the subsequent c section at all!
Tell him it's your turn for a duvet day tomorrow!

I wouldn't stand for that, tell him to get his arse out of bed and be a husband and father.

What a fucking dick.

noblegiraffe Wed 07-Sep-11 18:57:36

Dose him up on Lemsip Max Strength. It's bloody marvellous.

ChippingIn Wed 07-Sep-11 18:59:08

No bloody way would it happen here! I'm with Flisspaps - stick the paracetamol up his arse if he wont take it orally! Tell him to shift his arse and take care of his children while you rest. Tell him to sleep in the spare room/on the couch so he's not keeping you awake. Tell the twat to man up!

SueFlay Wed 07-Sep-11 19:00:18

wow, that's not even funny. I'd want to carry out the FlissPaps approach, but what I'd really do is trot up with a mug of Lemsip with That Look on my face and say in my most threatening voice.. "you've got ten minutes" angry

And leave. That'll put the shits up him.

TheFlyingOnion Wed 07-Sep-11 19:01:44

Men! Aren't they useless?!

<bash bash bash>

hmm

Voidka Wed 07-Sep-11 19:02:23

If he is ill, fair enough.

But if he isnt taking anything to make him feel better, he is being a knob.

Proudnscary Wed 07-Sep-11 19:02:55

Dick arse dick twat dick arse

OK?

SueFlay Wed 07-Sep-11 19:03:38

TFO - in this instance - quite plainly yes.

ChristinedePizan Wed 07-Sep-11 19:04:36

Sorry Changing - I don't understand. Do you mean that I have chips on my shoulder? But you were ready to kill your husband?

Or is that a laugh-it-off-aren't-men-awful-but-I'll-get-you-a-cup-of-tea-shall-I comment?

TheFlyingOnion Wed 07-Sep-11 19:07:42

This one guy staying in bed means all men are useless?

Wow! I'd better get shot of DP forthwith...

dirtydishesmakemesad Wed 07-Sep-11 19:19:26

YANBU. If he is ill he should take paracetamol, lying in bed without even trying is a bit unfair if your in labour ffs!.
If he was very unwell and paracetamol wasnt helping then I would be more sympathetic but a cold that he cant be bothered to even try and ease doesnt beat labour - even if its early/slow labour.
Is he not excited about you being starting to go into labour?

scottishmummy Wed 07-Sep-11 19:22:23

oh god i see all the kick 'im in clackers etc crew have rocled up.usual shouts of hes a a dick etc

as you say hes ill.its rotten timing,but well just plain bad luck.

best wishes when baby arrives

Sniffwitch Wed 07-Sep-11 19:26:06

He is currently up and doing story time.. although looking very glum. Progress I suppose. I think I might be just a tad bit hormonal and using these events to stacked up on all the grudges of the past few weeks e.g. his total lack of sympathy when I had this cold last week, his refusal to let DD have some ice cream and TV when she had this cold + sorethroat last week, his criticism of me last night that "all I ever do is moan about being tired", him"forgetting" that I had a consultant appt so booking an early meeting at work and leaving me to go for a sweep with 2 children in tow...his refusal to give me a foot rub EVER during 27 months of pregnancy "its just so boring"...etc etc etc moan moan

Generally, he is a very good DH and amazing DF, and I do not believe all men are crap, but for some reason the last few weeks he has been a tetchy arse and this has just been the icing on the cake.. I can't actually work out if its him or me - am hoping I magically get over this when DC3 pops out!! Maybe he is having DC3 anxiety?

mountaingirl Wed 07-Sep-11 19:36:36

Sniff poor you. Your not so dh needs a kick up the bottom. I have been ill with the flu since Saturday. I've cooked, washed clothes, taken kids to school. I even took dd for a medical and the dr asked me what was wrong as I kept coughing, so told him, he took my temperature and I still had a fever! Finally felt better at lunchtime today. The only food dh made me was some scrambled eggs on Sunday!

If he is that 'sick' not sure the hospital would want him in the delivery suite.

Just thought when he gets out of bed, strip it and tell him if you go into labour properly tonight you want clean sheets for your return.

Good luck with your baby ( the new one not dh!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now