Talk

Advanced search

Not the right place but didnt know where to put it?

(15 Posts)
sugarpear Wed 07-Sep-11 17:35:26

Basically i want a tummy tuck. i have saved the money and im ready. Ive had 8 pregnancies and have 6 healthy children. Ive had 4 c sections plus 2 more surgeries for endometriosis cysts.

Im a year into a rotten divorce where i was controlled by my ex. Im in a lovely new relationship but........... my tummy hangs like a giant used teabag and its destroying my self asteem and has for years. The rest of me i like.

Im going to go to belgium simply because its alost £4000 cheaper over there.

But i also have serious concerns like what if i dont wake up?

A big part of me feels so selfish to be doing this but i know if i dont i'll never be truely happy within myself.

Has anyone here had one done in uk or belgium?

Im researching like mad but would like to talk to someone who has actually done it.

ChristieF Wed 07-Sep-11 17:40:17

I wonder how old you are? Are you aware that everyone gets a tummy at menopause so is it worth the money, pain? Menopause is usually mid-forties onwards. So you may have to have it re-done

sugarpear Wed 07-Sep-11 18:16:39

Im coming up to 39 but fabulous genes i look 10 years younger. My mum never got a tummy when she went through hers so im hopefull it wont happen to me.

TidyDancer Wed 07-Sep-11 18:24:51

I think you should see a counsellor tbh. Surgery is such a drastic option, it's worth seeing if you can find a way to live with how you are now.

And FWIW, my personal opinion is that you'd be selfish to go through with a medically unnecessary surgery in your circumstances.

sugarpear Wed 07-Sep-11 19:24:32

I have seen a counselor this is not a decision i have made lightly. It may not be medically necessary but for me it is mentally and emotionally. But i do appreciate your thoughts thankyou.

Birdsgottafly Wed 07-Sep-11 19:30:19

Perhaps you should look up pictures of tummy tucks that have gone wrong or after infection has set in?

I am not trying to put you off but i remember seeing a programme on it. Also have you made provision in case you do die during the procedure?

Decide if you can go ahead based on the pros and cons. Who does this matter to and what difference would it make to your life if it went wrong/right?

whackamole Wed 07-Sep-11 19:33:47

Personally, I don't think I would go abroad to have it done.

I understand and sympathise your reasons for wanting it done, but I can't imagine having a medically unnecessary operation in a foreign country where I don't really have any recourse should anything go wrong.

What does your new partner think? I know for a fact mine would be supportive of any decision I made but would make it clear that he was completely happy with me the way I am and would never want me to put my life at risk.

whackamole Wed 07-Sep-11 19:34:03

PS - I just asked him that's how I know!

Huffythetantrumslayer Wed 07-Sep-11 19:36:45

What birdsgottafly said sounds sensible. If you feel it's right for you and you weigh up pros and cons and still want to go for it then go for it. Just remember if you do have low self esteem generally as well the op won't help with that and you need to figure out other ways to help with your confidence. Also want to add and hope this doesn't sound rude certainly don't mean to be rude but 8 pregnancies? You are a brave lady :-)

wigglesrock Wed 07-Sep-11 19:41:41

YANBU - its your money and your decision, not something I would do personally but if its what you want. I worked with a woman who had one done, yes she looked more toned, but I only saw her with her clothes on!!

As far as I'm aware travelling for cosmetic surgery isn't that uncommon, you aren't a child, you've spoken to a counsellor, you feel it would make a positive difference to your life. Any surgery with anaesthetic is a risk, cosmetic, dental etc and you are not being selfish, you have saved for it, I personally would rather spent the money on other things but its your decision.

Crosshair Wed 07-Sep-11 19:47:35

Your money, your life.

Good luck!

MangoMonster Wed 07-Sep-11 19:54:22

Yanbu, your body, your money. But make sure it's a good surgeon. My mum went to Poland for surgery and it didn't go well but it was cheaper. Be careful.

shakey1500 Wed 07-Sep-11 20:00:59

My sister had it done about 8 years ago. She also had the same fears about not waking etc. She was fine, it looked (and still looks) great. She had it done on in the UK the NHS because during childbirth her stomach muscles had separated, never rejoined so they basically did it whilst repairing the muscles. Not quite sure how all that came about to be honest, but interesting

It's not something that I would do but best of luck whatever you decide.

BobblyGussets Wed 07-Sep-11 20:10:42

I don't know about going abroad op, but I spent £6603 (I don't know what the three pounds was for confused) on a breast reduction last year and it was the best money I ever spent. We aren't flush at the moment and my clothes are from the supermarket, but it was worth it.

I know your pain an embarrassment. I also remember sitting in the anaesthetists room thinking, "I am about to let the put me to sleep in oder to almost flay me alive". I did wake up and the pain wasn't bad. I was off my face for a day though because the op was 5 hours long and I lost three pounds in weight just from the boobage.

I found a website: I think it was breast health Online, helpful. They had a tummy tuck section there too if I remember correctly. Good luck op.

BobblyGussets Wed 07-Sep-11 20:20:36

My ex-neighbour had a tummy tuck and that went well too and she had hernia repairs done at the same time. She was a bit hunched over after the op, but soon straightened up and had her head held high, looking great.
It was plastic surgery alley round our way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now