Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed with the way Tesco operate their "substitutions - you won't pay more" pledge?

(16 Posts)
create Wed 07-Sep-11 13:41:47

It's happened a few times, where they subsitute for a similar product but a smaller pack. Although the "price" is less than the ordered item, so they don't have to refund, it is more expensive per kg IYSWIM.

This week is was completely baltant. I ordered a pack of 12 bottles of Peroni (for DH obviously blush ) Cost £12.

They sent 2 boxes of 8 at £5.12 each, total £10.24. So yes, the price wasn't more than the ordered item and they didn't need to refund, but if they'd sent 12 bottles, which they could have done easily, as they're in boxes of 4 it would have cost £15.36 and I would have been due a refund of £3.36. Why would they just send 8 unless it's to avoid paying? What's the point of such a pledge if they don't enter into the spirit of it?

Yes I know I can decline the substitution, but I cunningly arranged for the shopping to arrive when I was out, so DH had to put it away and he didn't think, but that not the point! Do they really think all their customers are too stupid to notice?

purplepidjin Wed 07-Sep-11 13:44:08

That sounds like good business sense on Tesco's part to me confused

They're there to make a profit, not make your life easier hmm

rushofbloodtothefeet Wed 07-Sep-11 13:45:25

Sorry, I'm confused - you ended up with more i.e. 16 bottles (2x8) for less money. What is the problem with that?

itisnearlysummer Wed 07-Sep-11 13:45:57

But with tesco's profits, a bit of 'goodwill' might not go amiss either!

Crosshair Wed 07-Sep-11 13:46:41

I find with asda you tend to get a better deal subsitute wise.

create Wed 07-Sep-11 13:47:15

blush they sent 8 bottles, 2 boxes of 4 each. Sorry

perfumedlife Wed 07-Sep-11 13:47:36

Do you mean they sent two boxes of 4, giving you just 8?

ChristinedePizan Wed 07-Sep-11 13:47:45

Do you mean they sent two boxes of four bottles? Otherwise your OP makes no sense grin

perfumedlife Wed 07-Sep-11 13:48:32

Ah, well, they didn't send you the required volume and it cost more per litre so they havn't really honoured their price pledge thingy.

I stopped using them because this pissed me off.

ChristinedePizan Wed 07-Sep-11 13:50:31

X-posted and yes, that would annoy me too

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 07-Sep-11 13:51:06

You don't have to accept the substitutions, you can send them back with the driver. I don't seem to get many substitutions but the day they sent me a very nice £12+ bottle of wine by instead of the cheapo plonk I'd ordered was a bit of a bonus smile

SexualHarrassmentPandaPop Wed 07-Sep-11 14:16:24

I also find that unless there is a difference of just a few pence they conveniently 'don't have' a substitute. If I order value baby wipes for example and they don't have them they won't send a substitute because the next cheapest are about 3 times the price.
I think this is really annoying and I think they should send a substitute when possible rather than inconveniencing the customer. It is their fault if their stores aren't adequately stocked.

Shutupanddrive Wed 07-Sep-11 15:15:16

I bought the cheapest White bread they did once, they didn't have it and I got no substitute. As if they had no other White sliced bread!! hmm it would have cost them too much to substitute me more like

gallicgirl Wed 07-Sep-11 15:35:17

Only used Tesco once and won't do it again.

The actual price was a bit more than the estimated price (about £8 IIRC) but we could only account for a couple of quid due to a substitution. We'd had no weighed items so there was no reason why the prices should have been different. They gave us some cock and bull story about the prices changing in store between us ordering and them delivering. The price change averaged at around 80p per item over 2 days and of course we have no way of checking because the goods didn't come from our local store. They gave us the money as a gesture of good will but I just didn't like the attitude. Theoretically they could charge whatever they liked because who is going to go to the store on the same day to check prices?

Used Sainsburys several times and never had a problem.

MillyR Wed 07-Sep-11 15:40:59

Maybe it varies depending on the store. We have always got the equivalent weight/quality or better than the price we ordered for.

Sometimes I think it is ridiculous as if it is fresh food we may not use it all, but I know somebody who delivered for Asda and if the customer does not accept a substitution that is frozen or from the fridges, Asda throws it away.

So it is a waste of food either way.

chopchopbusybusy Wed 07-Sep-11 15:42:43

I had this issue with dishwasher tablets, so I phoned them to complain. The assistant apologised and offered to refund me £4. I said I'd be happier with £5 and she agreed, no problem. I was a bit blush though when I got off the phone and realised my substituted box had 100% extra free - and no, I didn't call back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now