Talk

Advanced search

to want to strangle..

(11 Posts)
wineoclocktimeyet Wed 07-Sep-11 13:22:22

the person who gave my children their old monopoly set.

They LOVE it and nag me to play all the time; we are playing it at least once a day. I hate the fecking game, even as a child I hated it. (The only saving grace is that the only time they stop arguing is while we're playing it)

It goes on and on and on and on and on and on and no-one ever gets a set and it goes on and on and on........

My 4 year old can recognise every Chance and Community Chest card, despite the fact he cant read yet.

Apparently there are hundreds of different types, Monopoly Revolution is on the Chrissie list now. Arggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

joruth Wed 07-Sep-11 14:24:37

try junior monopoly....set in fairground and much, much, much shorter game!!!!!!!! but personally I'd be glad they stop squabbling at all...soon they will be able to play it without you....cup of tea/book/magazine.....in our dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cornflakegirl Wed 07-Sep-11 14:38:33

Have you tried the amended version where everyone gets dealt two properties straight away (and pays for them). Does make it a bit shorter as it induces more cashflow issues. We've also ditched the faffing with money at the start, and just give everyone £1,500 in big notes - doesn't save much time, but it feels like it does.

(Junior monopoly vvv dull for adults - I'd much rather play proper monopoly.)

Have you tried Settlers of Catan? DS1, who loves Monopoly, also loves this, and a game usually only takes about an hour.

I'm liking the idea that your 4yo can "read" annuity before he can read cat ;)

Soups Wed 07-Sep-11 14:40:37

Put a timer on, when it goes ding, the one with the most money + assets wins.

create Wed 07-Sep-11 14:55:16

Playing Monopoly stops them squabbling?! Wow it's guaranteed to start a fight here. I agree with you though. It's especially tedious because once you start losing, there's no way back, but it takes ages to actually lose. The only way I play now is under Soups system. It makes me feel very guilty, as I always thought we be the sort of family who played loads of board games. That really didn't happen grin

KurriKurri Wed 07-Sep-11 15:29:45

I'm with create, - monopoly used to = guaranteed punch up here.

It starts before the game even gets going
'DC1 'I want the dog,' -
DC2 'no you have to have the iron -
DC1 waaah waaah waah

Awful, neverending, soul destroying game.

CheerMum Wed 07-Sep-11 15:38:47

monopoly deal is a great game, it's a card based version of monopoly and is a damn sight quicker x

ineedabodytransplant Wed 07-Sep-11 17:26:49

Can't remember where I saw this(twas only last weekblush,

but there is one out called something like makeyourownmonopoly!!

LadyOfTheManor Wed 07-Sep-11 17:28:10

Our close friend calls Monopoly the divorce game.

ChameleonCircuit Wed 07-Sep-11 17:55:52

Monopoly Crazy Cash is another much shorter option.

SuePurblybilt Wed 07-Sep-11 17:59:04

Everyone I know called it Monotony grin

I prefer Cluedo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now