Talk

Advanced search

to be peed off at my family and to tell them so

(12 Posts)
slightlymad72 Wed 07-Sep-11 12:35:50

I have been ill for the past 4 days with a stomach bug. The rest of the household has been perfectly fine. Today is the first day I have felt relatively normal.

Now I am back to 'normal' I have now got the energy to look at the house, I really wish I hadn't, the only person who has done anything is my DD, who has cooked the family meal each evening. In this house if you cook you don't wash up, except if I'm ill, where it seems that no one washes up full stop, if it doesn't fit into the dishwasher then it doesn't get washed. I have spent the past 2 hours cleaning the kitchen, it took so long as I am tiring quickly and the food is welded to the pots.

The dining room table still has lastnight mats, trivet, cutlery, butter dish etc on it, a table coth that should now be burnt due to bacterial levels. The living room hasn't been hoovered and has an insultating layer of dog hair on it. Basically none of the 'little' jobs that are done daily have been done and the house looks like a teenagers bedroom.

I have just told my DH that I am not happy with him, his excuse for not doing some of the bits and pieces was becasue he was doing other stuff, eg, 3 hours playing with the router as it was playing up (we have another that works fine) shifting paperwork because it needed doing (so did the washing up FFS)

I am so cross and fed up, the final straw is I have found honey on the floor that he has covered over with kitchen roll (to soak it up) with drinks cartons plonked on top, so I now have to get on hands and knees to scrub it before the ants move in.

WIBU to sit down with them,DH and DC (19, 12 and 10) tonight and tell them how disappointed I am with them and from now on Its tough love time, if they're not going to help me run the house then they should expect nothing from me?

whackamole Wed 07-Sep-11 12:37:43

YANBU. Do it. There is absolutely no excuse from any of them if you ask me, there is 4 of them and they still couldn't manage to do any washing up? Dirty beggars.

Sn0wflake Wed 07-Sep-11 12:40:09

Your husband has been a bit pants yes. But you might want to leave it a couple of days to have the conversation until you are feeling better.

HedleyLamarr Wed 07-Sep-11 12:41:10

YADNBU. That's taking the piss! I'd be bloody fuming.

missmogwi Wed 07-Sep-11 12:45:36

YANBU I'd see my arse and demand they clean up their own mess.

More fool you for doing it all, I have no sympathy.

Go make your bed up with clean sheets, get back into it and stay there until they get their act together.

Sn0wGoose Wed 07-Sep-11 12:50:35

WOW. An adult DH and adult DC of 19, 12 and 10? I was expecting toddlers, from your story.

YANBU. They obviously don't realise how much you do in an average day and imho you would be VU let it go - how will they fend for themselves in the real world fgs?! [shocked]

I vote you divvy up some of your daily little jobs that go unnoticed in to family chores grin

PissesGlitter Wed 07-Sep-11 12:53:10

YANBU get the lazy buggers off their arse and doing some housework!! ffs they are old enough to know if you drop it you pick it up, if you dirty it clean it!

get it done tonight whilst you are feeling ill so they can see that doing all those chores has set you back a few days, might shock them into helping

slightlymad72 Wed 07-Sep-11 12:53:46

Thanks everyone and I don't expect sympathy, as my husband always reminds we, If i want sympathy I know where to find it, its in the dictionary between Shit and Syphillis.
I've only done the kitchen as I didn't want another stomach bug from cross contamination. I have looked a the rest of the house and will now spend my aftenoon drawing a list of jobs for everyone else to do this evening and I shall spend my time infront of the TV watching trash

Soups Wed 07-Sep-11 12:57:06

Yup, do that list. Then explain to them all that you're not doing anything else in the house until the place has been returned to a reasonable state.

slightlymad72 Wed 07-Sep-11 13:03:22

the 19 year old and the 12 year old are both home, 19 year old is putting a chicken in the oven and will then be working her way through the house shifting her crap. The 12 year old is having a major hissy fit because I have asked him to clear the table which is his job and should have been done last night. I don't think this tough love mummy is going to be popular but surprisingly I don't care, wait until DH meets the new wife, he will be in for a shock grin

Happygomummy Wed 07-Sep-11 13:26:42

Good luck! You are going exactly the right thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now