Talk

Advanced search

To think that people are writing 'lol' on here a lot more often...

(92 Posts)
dragontalk Wed 07-Sep-11 11:30:16

and be irritated by it? I have plenty of friends who do it...I love them, but I do judge them slightly for it.

usualsuspect Wed 07-Sep-11 11:31:10

I have no problem with lol

GypsyMoth Wed 07-Sep-11 11:31:24

Writing it here a lot more often than what? When?

peggotty Wed 07-Sep-11 11:33:07

I don't think it's on MN any more than previously but it's reviled a hell of a lot more than it used to be IMO.

worraliberty Wed 07-Sep-11 11:33:48

This is the only forum on the entire internet (to my knowledge) that has a problem with 'lol' confused

I couldn't give a shit if people don't like it.

This site is full of very lazy acronyms like 'DD, DH' DS' and all that sort of stuff so 'lol' really isn't a problem to me.

GypsyMoth Wed 07-Sep-11 11:35:04

Dragon..... You are irritated and judge your friends for it? Seriously?

dragontalk Wed 07-Sep-11 11:41:12

I only judge them a tiny bit, because I find it annoying. I know it doesn't reflect on them as people, I just don't know why a perfectly good sentence needs lol at the end of it, esp when the sentence usually has nothing to do with laughing out loud. I have nothing against abbreviations in general!

dragontalk Wed 07-Sep-11 11:45:06

I was genuinely asking whether I am being unreasonable to be irritated by it - not just trying to get at people who write lol.

ChippingIn Wed 07-Sep-11 11:46:41

LOL - do you really think so?

YANBU to be irritated by it, you can choose to be irritated by whatever you like smile

<Doesn't mean it's actually a bad thing for people to do though>

dragontalk Wed 07-Sep-11 11:49:27

Possibly it's not happening more, and I'm just noticing it more. It's not a bad thing for people to do, except when they sign off messages 'lol, Helen' and I don't know if they are laughing or sending me love confused

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 07-Sep-11 11:50:19

I don't use it as it is frowned upon here but suppose I am laughing out loud and want to communicate it. What do I say? As clearly there are many people who use it are not laughing at all, loud or otherwise.
I never put ROFL as I actually have never rolled on the floor laughing, and I've never pissed myself laughing (well not on mumsnet anyway).
We need a new one that means that we believe the poster was inordinately amusing and made us, well laugh loudly I suppose.

GaramMasalaGirl Wed 07-Sep-11 11:50:51

Aww dragon have some wine even though it's far too early in the day

YA being a little bit U to be so irritated by it smile

worraliberty Wed 07-Sep-11 11:52:22

I don't use it as it is frowned upon here

I think I use it more here for that very reason.

When I was as newbie, some twat told me to 'stop using lol or get off my thread' hmm

From that minute on, I used it like punctuation on the end of every sentence grin

dragontalk Wed 07-Sep-11 11:55:10

LadyBeagleEyes I am totally not against it if someone has said something inordinately amusing! It's just that it has become a piece of random gibberish to be inserted into sentences and annoy me.

dragontalk Wed 07-Sep-11 11:57:48

E.g. 'I had to take my dog to the vet lol but he's fine now lol.'

CoteDAzur Wed 07-Sep-11 12:01:13

YANBU. A lot of people have started ending their posts with "lol", not to mention abundant "xxx"s. In the good old days (of last year, even), these would be laughed at and shamed into abandoning their juvenile ways and growing up.

When tickers arrive, I'm out of here.

sausagesandmarmelade Wed 07-Sep-11 12:03:03

Like your style worraliberty

Hate it when people try and dictate how others should speak on a forum....as if people have to conform to a type. Sod that!

I shall LOL as long as I want to..............

CoteDAzur Wed 07-Sep-11 12:03:25

worraliberty - Why on earth would you go around deliberately annoying people? if you are old enough to have children, you shouldn't act like one.

worraliberty Wed 07-Sep-11 12:05:27

worraliberty - Why on earth would you go around deliberately annoying people? if you are old enough to have children, you shouldn't act like one

And you shouldn't be sat behind your keyboard telling me what I should and shouldn't do.

If anyone tells me to get off 'their thread' for using 'Lol' or for any other reason they can piss right off.

JodieHarsh Wed 07-Sep-11 12:10:09

I have noticed that.

I find it rather chilling, actually.

It summons to mind the image of a hideous mirthless grin.

Or a totally impassive face lit horribly pale by the light of a flickering computer screen.

It's always so inappropriate placed. "I'm having beans for my tea lol". "I hate my MIL lol"

You're not laughing though are you? You're not laughing!! You haven't even chuckled inwardly!!!111!!!

ROAR on the other hand I rather like.

beanandspud Wed 07-Sep-11 12:11:53

Am I the only person who genuinely thought it meant 'Lots of Love'.

I just couldn't understand why people were being so affectionate confused

worraliberty Wed 07-Sep-11 12:11:54

I think ROFLMFAO is a little over the top

I mean if anything, can people really roll on the floor and type at the same time? grin

dragontalk Wed 07-Sep-11 12:12:56

I would never tell anyone not to use it, or to 'get off my thread'. I'm just saying random lolling is irritating. It's like people saying 'like' - the occasional meaningless 'like' is fine, even good in the right place, but listening to someone saying, 'yes like but you know I like went to the like supermarket and like bought some like apples' is really annoying and makes what they're saying sound stupider than it is.

TheBride Wed 07-Sep-11 12:13:50

It's better than hun, or indeed hunny, which has as many letters as honey, so why not just write that?

Empusa Wed 07-Sep-11 12:14:30

People are making me laugh out loud here far more often, so writing LOL makes perfect sense. I feel writing "hahahahahaha" make me look a little unhinged grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now