Talk

Advanced search

What can you admit to being unreasonable about?

(19 Posts)
madhousewife Tue 06-Sep-11 23:22:40

Instead of putting your issue on the chopping block for public opinion, do you care to share a moment in your life where you know you were being unreasonable?

I had a flash back to first year university. My flatmate and I were friends from school and we were your typical starving students who had to beg, borrow and charity shop our furnishings.

Unfortunately my flatmate was not only poor, but had extreme poor taste in home decor. Cue lace curtains that were brown, polyester and had a sheen.

One night after an argument about washing up, or the lack thereof, my roommate stormed out. In a fit of rage I grabbed the bottom of the curtains and pulled. They ripped off the rail and then the rail came tumbling down.

When my friend came home she asked what happened, I nonchalantly said the curtains fell down.

When my friend asked why they were ripped I shrugged my shoulders.

To this day I can not believe how I managed to destroy something in the manner that I did and then take no responsibility afterwards.

TheLadyEvenstar Tue 06-Sep-11 23:31:04

My puppy is being unreasonable right now because she is stinking the living room out and knows it!!!

I am never unreasonable because I am always right unless everyone else is wrong wink

SnapesMistress Tue 06-Sep-11 23:35:37

When I was about 8 I was on a residential trip, there were vending machines with mini packs of celebrations in them and I really wanted once as had never seen them before. My parents never gave me any spending money on these trips but one of the girls in my room had loads and loads of pound coins. I took one and bought the celebrations but felt so guilty I gave them to her.

I have screamed at my flatmate for slurping her tea before. Inmy defence she always does it and it always does my nut but that time I was too stressed to bite my tongue.

I can't stop tickling dp in bed although I know he hates it.

I am secretly glad when the cat voms in dp's stuff and not mine.

So many little things...

thecaptaincrocfamily Tue 06-Sep-11 23:40:54

lol Having school dinners as a small child 5/6 grin It took 3 teachers and my mother to prise me from the railings by the door and only after my mother agreed that I could have a packed lunch! Uuuugh goulash and rice still gives me nightmares!!! grin

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 06-Sep-11 23:45:25

YANBU there thecaptain, there's still food I can't eat to this day after being forced to eat them at school.

thecaptaincrocfamily Tue 06-Sep-11 23:47:40

grin

FunkyChicken Tue 06-Sep-11 23:51:52

Once kicked our kitchen door in when having a row with dh over something not very important in hindsight. I was pregnant and hormonal so I blame that. The handle has never been the same since and serves as a constant reminder of my shameful outburst blush.

Kladdkaka Tue 06-Sep-11 23:58:23

My neighbour wanted to put up a very ugly fence on our boundary. To do that here you have to have consent from your neighbours. I refused but did offer a compromised arrangement, almost like the butt ugly one but not so butt ugly. He pleaded for the ugly fence but I wouldn't budge so eventually he caved and put a nicer one up.

With hindsight I know I was being very unreasonable. His other 3 sides already had the ugly fence up, he just wanted to finish the job the same. I've also realised that deep down inside I don't actually care what the fence looks like. Now I have a reminder of my unreasonableness every time I step out of my front door.

reelingintheyears Wed 07-Sep-11 00:00:15

IANU.

MrsWifty Wed 07-Sep-11 00:02:55

Christ, where to start? Probably with the row I had with my DB (I was about 8, he was about 6), when I threw a pair of scissors at him, and missed - he picked them up, threw them back and as he was already a better aim, I ended up in A&E getting stiches. It wasn't until a good 10 years later that I admitted I was to blame for the whole sorry affair (especially as even at 8 years old, the joy of being able to writhe around screaming dramatically in a pool of blood without too much pain was probably quite fun).

It's all gone downhill from there really.

But I am always right now, of course.

ownthreadhider Wed 07-Sep-11 00:08:20

If my OH won't shag me when I want it I behave like a two yr old having a tantrum blush which prob makes him want to shag me a lot less grin

madhousewife Wed 07-Sep-11 06:18:46

thanks for some good laughs!

pallymama Wed 07-Sep-11 06:26:29

At Uni, I was the only one in my house staying on after the end of term as I still had shifts at work. This was known to all, but one housemate decided to completely empty out the fridge and freezer and threw away all my new food. I was so angry I went round the house tearing down all the posters he'd pinned up, ripped them up and threw them out! blush

Note to self.....always remember that throwing a bowl of sugar at one's dearly beloved is not only unreasonable...it is very, very messy.

slightlymad72 Wed 07-Sep-11 07:44:00

My DH has learnt that I am a very reasonable person.

He learnt very quickly that if he doesn't spend every waking hour on his laptop he can reasonably expect me not to throw it at the wall. grin

TheTempest Wed 07-Sep-11 08:56:48

I'm generally fairly reasonable, and calm and collected with most people.

My brother however can make me act like a spoilt brat within about 10 seconds, and resulted in me telling him to fuck off the other day and throwing a wet nappy at him. (We're 24 and 38!)

SirBoobAlot Wed 07-Sep-11 09:21:09

I've missed you lot.

Todays unreasonable moment was calling my toddler a meany bum because he ate the last biscuit.

MissMap Wed 07-Sep-11 10:47:36

I think it would be very unreasonable to act in the following manner when driving.

To take a left turn onto an B road after checking that all was clear to the right, then to be confronted by an enraged driver who must have been speeding to so suddenly appear behind me, flashing his lights and peeping his horn, and riding on my bumper.

To then observe the speed limit of 30mph on the narrow B road where he could not overtake.

To then reach the 50 mph zone and to accelerate fast to the speed limit in my very, powerful car, whilst he labours behind me in his underpowered vehicle.

By the time he has caught me up we are back to a 30mph zone and I can reduce my speed to the 30 mph limit once again. As we dawdle along together I have a huge smile on my face whilst he knashes his teeth and gesticulates into my rear view mirror.

Would I be so unreasonable- Never!

loveulotslikejellytots Wed 07-Sep-11 12:07:24

Mine would have to be;

- Agreeing last night to wash DH's uniform trousers (only has one pair, needed them this morning, he said he would febreeze them and iron them in the morning). I insisted they were washed. We went out and I didn't push start on the machine. So 11pm last night (when we returned) they still needed washing. DH still said about febreezing them but I wanted to wash them. So I got up at 5am this morning to put them in the tumble dryer (so they were ready for 7am), and had a hissy fit at DH because I had to get up early to make sure his trousers were clean. Poor bloke looked like rabbit in headlights at 5am this morning!

- Also, last night after finding unwashed trousers, I said to DH to have a lie in this morning. I was going to be up anyway it would be silly for him to get up at 6 to take the dog out, I'll take him. So the tyrade that followed about it always being left to me, I'm treated like crap, i've not had a lie in for ages (Monday) and "if you think i'm ironing your bloody trousers you can forget it! " was a tad unreasonable.

He's on training today, I have text him to apologise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now