Talk

Advanced search

To think DD might be having a hard time at school?

(8 Posts)
DarlingDuck Tue 06-Sep-11 19:14:07

DD is 6 and has just started in year 2. The last 2 days she has been in a foul stroppy mood when I've picked her up, she was exactly the same last year after schooll too. During the hols she is sweetness and light. She says she loves school and I do think she would tell me if she was being bullied but she is in a group of girls who regularly fall out, one of the girls has quite challenging behaviour and althiough she and DD are friends the girl has been violent towards DD and can say some very mean things.

Is it normal to be in a foul mood after school or aibu thinking something is up?

onemoreminute Tue 06-Sep-11 19:30:54

Is she tired or hungry when she comes out?

Tchootnika Tue 06-Sep-11 19:34:42

Good point, onemoreminute.
Duck, have you asked her just whether she's unhappy, or tried to get more detail/broader picture?

legalalien Tue 06-Sep-11 19:35:37

Hmm. DS is also 6 and just started in year 2, and for the first three days of school was in a foul stroppy mood when I picked him up. fine in holidays (although often in foul stroppy mood in first three days of holidays). Fine today. I think it's just a change of routine coupled with not appreciating my constant questions about "so what did you do today?" when he's tired and more interested in other things..... I reckon give it a week and then reconsider.

FabbyChic Tue 06-Sep-11 19:35:52

My children were always boisterous and sometimes miserable after school, i put this down to the strict regime and how much the have to contain themselves, it's like they explode when they come out of school.

montymum Tue 06-Sep-11 19:36:02

It's fuuny DH said the same to me tonight, only two days back and the carefree spirit has been replaced with moaning and I'm the teacher! I would put it down to tiredness too, could see it on the faces of my class at 3.15 today.

worraliberty Tue 06-Sep-11 19:36:05

She's probably exhausted

My youngest (8yrs) always used to come out in a quiet mood and if anyone tried too hard to make conversation with him, he'd get irritable with them.

He'd snap out of it though...usually after dinner.

DarlingDuck Tue 06-Sep-11 19:39:40

Yes good point, I imagine she is tired and hungry. Whenever I ask her if she's happy she says yes but admits the girl in question has poked/pushed her or said something mean. I know the girl is also mean to others in the foursome. We went to see the teacher a few times last year and she encouraged them to make other friends but to no avail...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now