Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up of the threads about 'class'?

(21 Posts)
Laquitar Tue 06-Sep-11 18:35:18

What is all this about confused

What does it matter if you shop at asda or waitrose fgs. And who does only one thing exclusively for all his life?

Ok. My parents worked at the bottom jobs of hotels. Ditto my PIL. Been refugees. Me and dh have degrees. Dh used his, i didn't used mine. Been a nanny. Have tatoo. We own properties. Brown leather sofas in them. We love olives and hummus. With a lager. I shop everywhere, i swap between Tesco and Asda every few months so they miss me and sent me vouchers. No waitrose. No boden. Primark and George often. I love theatre. Books and Arts. We both speak 3 languages each and can read Latin. We don't care about bedtimes. We buy plastic, pink, and whatever we fancy. Our names are one of those desirable names in baby name threads. They are common names in our countries. We don't watch tv but our dcs do.

Can you put us in a category? I don't think so and i imagine most people are like this. It just doesn't exist any more. There is no 'class'. There are people. Who can mix and match and change habits, jobs, tastes every few years.

AIBU ? grin

cleanteeth Tue 06-Sep-11 18:36:56

hear hear!!! well said grin

DontGoCurly Tue 06-Sep-11 18:37:49

Yep, who gives an actual fuck.

iMemoo Tue 06-Sep-11 18:38:39

Well said, yanbu

stitchthis Tue 06-Sep-11 18:39:03

Hurrah!

MrsBuntyCuldeSacPariah2 Tue 06-Sep-11 18:39:49

Well said Laquitar!

Feminine Tue 06-Sep-11 18:40:45

smile like.

That is exactly how we live too!

OddBoots Tue 06-Sep-11 18:41:22

I agree, class is an outdated concept and like you I really don't know where I would belong.

Lilyloo Tue 06-Sep-11 18:42:08

grin

MangoMonster Tue 06-Sep-11 18:43:41

Agree! YANBU.

Pendeen Tue 06-Sep-11 18:49:43

No, YANBU at all.

Quite reasonable to be fed up about something which obviously bothers you.

In fact, you can be fed up about anything you like.

Just don't be surprised if people continue to judge you on what they consider is relevant rather than what you consider relevant.

That's just human nature.

strictlovingmum Tue 06-Sep-11 18:55:30

Majority people these days can't be class classified, those that want us to be classed are very often irritated by this, Me just like yousmile have no idea where I would fit, nor do I especially care.
I loath boden, I would much rather spend my money on classy clothes that makes me feel like a woman.
I tend to food shop everywhere where I can get a bargain, own a house and rental flat in UK, and holiday home abroad, older child state educated successfully, younger one privately, yet I loath so called middle class, who are walking around wearing it on their forehead.
I don't want to belong to a class, we are self made people, intelligent, streetwise and very savvy, everything we have we have earned with our two pairs of hands.

catgirl1976 Tue 06-Sep-11 20:19:04

YANBU. Haven't the faintest idea which class I belong to or how one would go about deciding. Don't give a flying either.

meditrina Tue 06-Sep-11 20:22:45

If you don't want any ore threads about class, why did you start one? confused

cleanteeth Tue 06-Sep-11 20:24:21

'cos she wants to tell everyone how much she dislikes people classing themselves and other people...

durrr

missmogwi Tue 06-Sep-11 20:25:22

grin
Well said!

tralalala Tue 06-Sep-11 20:40:51

yanbu..but it is the obsession of this country. And quite fasinating as movement with class has never been quite so much as it is at the mo.

Laquitar Tue 06-Sep-11 21:57:23

Thank you all.

meditrina this is a different thread about class though grin
We are not categorize people, sofas, vegetables, type of knickers in 'class' groups.

Honestly do you know anyone who shops in the same supermarket all her life every week?

She is missing out on vouchers grin

Last saturday i was craving beer so i had some Stella with crisps. This weekend i might have wine with olives. Does it make any difference? Was i different person last weekend?

RedOnion Tue 06-Sep-11 22:07:33

Class is an outdated concept in my opinion. It refers to Victorians whipping their chambermaids and fainting at the hint of a panty and the rest of 'us' cleaning chimneys and eating our children/dogs. Or something like that. (Have I written the beginning of a knicker flaming blockbuster there? grin)

Well said in my opinion OP.

RedOnion Tue 06-Sep-11 22:07:48

I said opinion too many times.

I have no class.

Laquitar Tue 06-Sep-11 22:11:24

RedOnion you made me grin

Your name gives away btw, you know were onions belong.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now