Talk

Advanced search

To be peed off school no longer sending home reading scheme books

(25 Posts)
uptightmama Tue 06-Sep-11 17:16:36

A supposedly progressive step according to letter sent home today. Instead, children will work through them at school, to help develop skills and will bring home books they choose from school and class library to share at home as "reading for pleasure is important". No shit, that is why we have been doing lots of that but also trying to help dd learn on a one to one basis at home so she will one day be able to read for pleasure independently herself. I just can't see how she will get the time/ attention at school to develop these skills sufficiently without extra practice at home.
Does any other school do this? AIBU to be annoyed with this?
Have just bought whole Songbirds Phonics set from ebay so we can continue at home, but feel its unfair on others who want to support their kids at home and who can't afford to buy supplementary sets to work through at home and think learning reading at home is really important especially if lots of reading for pleasure is done at the same time.
Have name changed but a MN regular.

blackeyedsusan Tue 06-Sep-11 17:20:01

they have probably had one too many parent complain about the wrong level, and the frequency of changing books. grin doesn't mean they are right though.

MaureenMLove Tue 06-Sep-11 17:21:47

On the flip side, there are the many, many parents who don't bother with reading at home. Perhaps it's more designed at those, so that the teachers can make sure they can develop skills in reading, that their parents don't think are important?

Still a sad state of affairs though, I agree. You shouldn't need to buy many resources to help your children read though, surely?

uptightmama Tue 06-Sep-11 17:26:27

I suspect that is quite likely the case maureenmlove, judging some of the parents in the playground wink but then is also unfair on the supportive families. Bought them as am a member of 2 libraries and finding it hard to get the early phonics reading books out.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 06-Sep-11 17:27:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsshears Tue 06-Sep-11 17:28:36

Yanbu

Its not the point but i would recommend www.readingchest.co.uk
my dd uses it and loves it.

ja9 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:30:00

I'm a teacher. ( Usually scared to admit it on MN! ) This is what my school does... and the school that my children attend do this also ... from P4 upwords. Is your child's school using a scheme called Story World / Literacy World by any chance? This is what this scheme recommends and it is how it has been designed to be used.

You can still read with your child at home...just get some age appropriate books as your school has suggested. Read to them and have them read to you so you can model good, expressive reading for them.

I despise the reading scheme books and, as has become apparent from speaking to many teachers, so do they! No one likes them! (aside from OP) so YABU imo

MumblingRagDoll Tue 06-Sep-11 17:32:44

My DD is 7 and in year three...we have only just begun at our new school and when the teacher told me there was no readiing scheme I almost did a somersault! I was SO happy. Those schemes are shit!

They have no interest for most kids....my DD wants a good book not some twaddle written to specifications!

40notTrendy Tue 06-Sep-11 17:36:34

My ds hates reading his books from school at home. It would be quite a relief not to have to bribe/cajole/plead/beg/shout to get him to read them. I'd rather practice writing at home (started his Xmas list this am grin) and let school do the reading. I'd trust them and see how it goes.

uptightmama Tue 06-Sep-11 17:41:15

thanks mrsshears - reading chest looks fab. Whilst I agree the reading schemes are quite dull I hoped to use the reading schemes as a way to build up reading supplementing with phonics books from library as well as our own normal books, stories etc. With reading chest looks like we could still do that so will def join up to that

strictlovingmum Tue 06-Sep-11 17:44:36

Are you not sick of Biff, Chip, Kipper and company?, be grateful you don't have to see them again, and enjoy real stories with you DC grin

dirtydishesmakemesad Tue 06-Sep-11 18:19:34

My dds school does two books like biff and kipper or another type like that and then one library book a week.(she is now in year two). I much prefer the library books the biff and kipper one she reads with a bored dull voice she really enjoys the other books and you can tell in the way she reads. I have never done and phonics etc at home so i dont know how that would be affected by not having more formal reading books,

SarkySpanner Tue 06-Sep-11 18:28:50

I wish my school would do this.

I would far rather help my dc read books they enjoy.

Glitterandglue Tue 06-Sep-11 21:01:53

Are Biff, Chip and Kipper still going? Blimey.

We had Lolly and Pop at my school. Thankfully I skipped the vast majority of them and got onto library books sharpish. I am currently only enticing my nephew to practice reading by using books where he doesn't know quite a few of the words, but are about bums or other things hilarious to most small boys. With books where he knows all the words but the story's dull, he just can't be arsed and I don't blame him.

Panzee Tue 06-Sep-11 21:04:09

We only send home books for children who don't really have books at home, or don't get taken to the library. Reading scheme books are really boring, don't subject your child to them, please.

MCos Tue 06-Sep-11 22:03:31

My girls actually like Biff, Chip & Kipper, especially the magic key series. Both were late starters with their reading, and needed extra help at home.

We find Oxford Reading Tree books in our local Library. It has a variety of other reading schemes available also.
My DDs are happy to read these aloud to me, so long they get to pick the books themselves. DD1 made great progress after a year of this, and is an advanced reader for her age now, so we don't do this together any longer. DD2 has shown huge improvement, but still has a ways to go.

So checkout your local library.

rushelle Tue 06-Sep-11 22:06:53

Please don't make your child read reading scheme books at home, they are truly dreadful with no interest at all. If you are reading other books with her that's brilliant and all you need to do. Problem is not all parents do that and some kids think the only books around are about sodding Chip, Biff and blooming Kipper and get put off reading for life.

exoticfruits Tue 06-Sep-11 22:11:57

Go to your library-lots of choice there.

uptightmama Tue 06-Sep-11 22:13:51

I just think she needs some structured practice at reading. She started Y1 today and can just about read cvc words and a few key words. Her reading and confidence have really improved over the summer as I found some reading scheme books in a charity shop and she practiced reading one a day - 5 mins tops. I just feel like, having seen the progress she has made our source of books is now being withdrawn! I understand once children are competent readers and so can have a good go at other books, but for the stage she is at she would not be able to practice at home at all if it weren't for special (reading scheme) books.

Feminine Tue 06-Sep-11 22:14:37

I found the reading schemes to be a big pain in the butt!

My eldest zoomed through them ,but the school had to keep him on a level with the rest of his group!

He went to sleep!

I so hope they will have gone when I get back to the UK ,I couldn't go through all that again with my 3rd!

Its easy to find phonics programs on the internet ...starfall.com is great,used it with my second son and he was reading properly in about 6 months!

I think it will be great to have more reading freedom for our children.

Feminine Tue 06-Sep-11 22:17:41

Really don't worry uptight...they don't even teach it that way here in the US.

All the children learn to read like I did here (in the 70's) just by reading ...I know right now it is worrying ...but they really take off super fast if you just read with them.

You will find a way round it!

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 06-Sep-11 22:18:04

I would love not to read the scheme books at home.

We just read from our selection at home with DS over the holidays, mostly I read to him, sometimes he read to me (he is v proud of being able to read Rosie's Walk by himself!). I thought reading scheme books were all part of what schools need to do to teach a large group of different ability children to read, not necessarily what you would use if you were doing it at home one-to-one....

thehairybabysmum Tue 06-Sep-11 22:21:22

I think you have totally over-thinken this, she can bring books home, so just read those, will not develop her any the less!

exoticfruits Tue 06-Sep-11 22:26:30

Have you tried your library? Ours has a section where it structures the books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now