Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To be fascinated by obscure remarks overheard in public places? A Radio 4 programme this pm has inspired me to ask you all this question.

(30 Posts)
MissMap Tue 06-Sep-11 16:37:00

I once overheard two elderly ladies deep in whispered conversation in a cafe, when one lady exclaimed loudly "Well yes, but he thought it was a carrot!"
I have wondered ever since what they were talking about.

Tanif Tue 06-Sep-11 16:38:21

I was once removing my headphones as I got off the bus when I heard the lady in front of me say to her mate '...So basically, I'll never be able to look a chocolate finger in the eye again'.

I spent months wishing I'd taken my headphones out just a minute earlier!

Red2011 Tue 06-Sep-11 16:39:29

No! I love hearing these sorts of things. I have been known to carry a notebook down and write down as verbatim as possible obscure comments/conversations I have overheard. All material for the novel I shall one day write.

SiamoFottuti Tue 06-Sep-11 16:44:36

essence of chat.....

candytuft63 Tue 06-Sep-11 16:46:20

I was geting on the bus, two ladies were getting off. One says to the other (whilst pointedly looking at me) "look, Babs, theres another one"
Eh ?

Tanif Tue 06-Sep-11 16:47:56

Whoops, looks like someone has the Gestapo on speed dial...

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Tue 06-Sep-11 16:48:14

two professorial types walking down the street in Oxford, deep in in conversation. One says to the other, in very posh voice

"And, ninethly ...."

MrBloomsNursery Tue 06-Sep-11 16:49:22

The other day I was walking infront of a student trying to explain to a Chinese girl what a "goth" was! He wasn't managing very well!

Tchootnika Tue 06-Sep-11 17:01:19

'Time Out' used to do a collumn called 'overheard on the underground' or something. Almost as intriguing as the real thing.

Tota1Xaos Tue 06-Sep-11 17:07:44

yanbu, I am v easily distracted by other people's convo so often end up tuning in unintentiionally...

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Tue 06-Sep-11 17:08:31

Saturday Guardian has a column of overheard conversations. They are very funny

dweezle Tue 06-Sep-11 17:14:13

www.overheardinnewyork.com

Tee2072 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:17:53

I once overheard a man on his mobile "It doesn't matter if I like him, I'm not marrying him!"

I will wonder to my dying day if that means he doesn't like him and didn't want to say so to his sister/daughter/whomever on the other end!

Lucyinthepie Tue 06-Sep-11 17:41:43

Similar. I was wandering through Canterbury and passed two American tourists gazing raptly at a little stone chapel in one of the streets that runs parallel to the cathedral grounds.
Lady to me "Excuse me, could you tell me, is this the cathedral?".
Me, turning, pointing to upwards massive building looming over the rooftops behind us "No, that is...".
grin

mumblemumblethump Tue 06-Sep-11 17:57:12

grin Tanif
That really made me chuckle! I love overheard bits of conversation, so no, Missmap YANBU.
Yah boo sucks to the thread police!

candr Tue 06-Sep-11 18:01:36

2 very old ladies stepping off the tube as I was getting on, one said "so she hitched up her skirt and sat on it" and they both cracked up laughing. The 10 or so of us at the tube door all stared at each other with WTF! faces grin

Firestone Tue 06-Sep-11 18:16:05

In Dublin walking behind two studenty looking blokes; 'ah sure, and I don't know why he was so upset. I only told him his girlfriend was riding someone else'

carabos Tue 06-Sep-11 18:20:39

"and you'll never believe where they found it- in the canoe!"

RoseByanyother Tue 06-Sep-11 18:30:22

A little old lady (looked about 80) in a shop talking to her friend:

'Do you know what Pam - I could have shit through the eye of a needle.'

SnakeOnCrack Tue 06-Sep-11 18:55:38

Drunk man with a can of tennants super into his phone -

"and if he tells you any different, tell him I'll come down there and cut his face off"

didn't stop to question him on that one..

And an elderly lady to another coming out of a shop as I was going in -

"I told her it wouldn't fit her but she still thinks it's 1962.. she's probably still stuck now"

TheRealTillyMinto Tue 06-Sep-11 19:02:58

with a carribean accent: "I am a soldier....and i am a general...and i am on the front line"

i use this frequently at work (in my own voice)

Oggy Tue 06-Sep-11 19:08:10

A woman (clearly in Marketing) on her mobile on the train. All I heard was her say into her phone "no, no I don't think you can call Greggs a patisserie".

magicmelons Tue 06-Sep-11 19:09:14

therealtilly I am going to steal that and use that perhaps with DH when i've been home with the dc all day and he comes home and gives me one of his looks and starts picking random shit off the floor huffily grin

Pan Tue 06-Sep-11 19:09:53

Reportedly overheard - an elderly couple discussing how to manage each other's funeral arrangements.

He: Now that you ask burial or cremation, I think I'd prefer burial.
She: Okay darling. I'm sorry to bring it up today
He: How about you? Burial or cremation?

< long pause.......>

She: Surprise me.
grin

ImperialBlether Tue 06-Sep-11 19:13:42

Oggy, are you sure that wasn't the woman on The Apprentice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now