Talk

Advanced search

to think the first week of the new term is an odd time to put as child on report for something he did last term?

(25 Posts)
Ormirian Tue 06-Sep-11 16:30:06

confused

DH got a message on his phone today from the HOY at DS1's school. He told DH that DS was on report this week, not because he had done anything wrong this week, but because for the last week or so of last term he had 'let things slide' and he (HOY) wanted to send a warning shot across his bows as he normally worked hard and behaved well.

Now I think that is a bit of an arse-about-face way of doing things. A new school year should be a new start. HOY should have told us last year so that we could have addressed DS about it then.

And as it has no impact on DS at all that we can see (apart from us knowing about it) it's totally pointless. And no, DS didn't tell us about it himself hmm

MrsRobertDuvall Tue 06-Sep-11 16:32:06

How old is ds?
I would image he has forgotten all about his behaviour last term.....seems like your HOY holds grudges. Should have been dealt with in July.

MrsRobertDuvall Tue 06-Sep-11 16:32:23

Imagine, even.

aldiwhore Tue 06-Sep-11 16:32:28

YANBU, I would complain, its setting a negative precedent for the year and isn't in your DS's best interests.... a warning would be applicable perhaps, but new year, new start imo.

I would not be happy.

BagdadCafe Tue 06-Sep-11 16:34:01

What does 'on report' actually mean? How does HOnewY know he has 'let things slide'? What year is he in?

storminabuttercup Tue 06-Sep-11 16:34:20

Being on report is a bit harsh, it sounds like a quick chat would have done the trick! YANBU but not much can be done!

Ormirian Tue 06-Sep-11 16:45:41

It's the same HOY - they have one for Yr 7 and then a new one in yr 8 and they keep that one one from yrs 8 - to 11. It's meant to be more consistent that way (and the HOY can keep score wink).

I don't know what it means TBH. Nothing as far as I can see - I imagine it means that if he misbehaves at all the consequences will be harsher? Thumbscrews maybe?

Ormirian Tue 06-Sep-11 16:46:13

He's in yr 10 now.

kat2504 Tue 06-Sep-11 16:49:18

Should be New Year, Fresh Start in my opinion. Perhaps a bit of a reminder to him that things weren't great last term and they are looking forward to seeing better things this year. But straight on report with no chance to make a good start to the year is surely more likely to get his back up than anything else.

MaureenMLove Tue 06-Sep-11 16:58:02

I agree it would be nice for a new year, new start, but consistancy is important here, he needs to know that whatever he did, needs to be punished, regardless of whether there is a six week break or not.

If bad behaviour is 'let off' in the last week of term, word will quickly get round, that it won't be punished or be forgotten about and it could be a riot next July!

kat2504 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:06:13

Well yes, if he had done something really bad then it should be followed up. That's not the impression I got from the OP though. Going on report is usually used for consistent bad behaviour over a period of time, when other sanctions such as detention have not had the desired effect. A warning of a report and a chance to get off to a good start in the first couple of weeks might have been better, unless the OPs son is a persistent miscreant.

southmum Tue 06-Sep-11 17:06:29

YANBU

You're not supposed to 'discipline' a dog way after the event, the same applies to kids IMO

Rowena8482 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:10:15

They're worrying about the exam results league tables. If your DS is one of the kids they're relying on to get the all important 5 at A-C with English and Maths then they will be on him like a ton of bricks from now until the last paper is sat. They will do anything to keep the results up, especially if they need to improve and/or don't have that many kids who they think can actually get decent marks. Sounds like your DS is on The List and will be hounded for his marks.

MaureenMLove Tue 06-Sep-11 17:12:57

Perhaps the HOY is doing it to a lot of kids, given that it's the start of their GCSE courses? Perhaps he wants to get in quick to reinforce school rules and make sure everyone is very clear about them. I do agree though, it does sound a bit mean, given that OP's ds simply 'let things slide'.

Something of a more serious nature has to be followed up the following term though, if it happens in the last week of July.

MaureenMLove Tue 06-Sep-11 17:13:59

Ah Rowena, seems we are on the same wavelength! grin

Moulesfrites Tue 06-Sep-11 17:24:12

It is not ideal to punish 6 weeks after the event. For a serious misdemeanor then yes, necessary perhaps, but just " letting things slide" would not warrant report IMO as a teacher. It think it is best to treat the new year as a fresh start. I agree that this is likely to be results driven, but there are better ways of dealing with it IMO.

Ormirian Tue 06-Sep-11 17:38:42

Hmm...yes it could be about results. DS1 isn't amongst the brightest and the best in school but he's likely to do OK - certainly on target for 5 A-Cs at least. Maybe that's it then.

I dread to think what they'll be doing to DD in 2 years time hmm She gets top marks in all the tops sets .....perhaps they'll lock her in the tutor room and feed her on nowt by dry bread and omega oils until she's done her GCSEs!

BagdadCafe Tue 06-Sep-11 17:56:35

Ooooh yeah... we are y10 this year too, suspected this. Noses to the grindstone. Good luck!

balia Tue 06-Sep-11 18:01:40

I think you are being a bit unreasonable to complain without actually knowing what being on report entails. In many schools, it's not about punishment but support and guidance, plus increased communication at home. The student takes the report from lesson to lesson, getting it signed by the teacher with (usually) some kind of comment. These can be very positive, and the opportunity is there to discuss any issues that have arisen.

He's entering his final two years - would you rather the school let him coast?

MrsRobertDuvall Tue 06-Sep-11 18:11:07

I am yr 10 as well....it will be interesting to see how it goes this year, with chosen options et c.
Dd very excited about going back tomorrow.

complexnumber Tue 06-Sep-11 19:34:53

I agree with balia.

A pupil can be on report for a variety of reasons, behaviour, effort, bringing equipment, completing homework, punctuality etc.

All the school is asking is some sort of proof that he has acknowledged his short comings and has addressed them. Assuming he has, everyone will be happy; he will have proved his point, you will have the feed back to say all is well and the school will be satisfied that he is back on track.

If he has not addressed last years issues, surely you would want to know asap.

youarekidding Tue 06-Sep-11 19:46:32

'On report' can mean anything. Basically it's monitoring a pupil.

He is starting his GCSE years and it would seem they are basically trying to help him start off where they want him to be not where he was.

Ormirian Tue 06-Sep-11 21:43:01

I have done research (asked DS) and 'on report' means that every teacher he spends time with has to sign his report to say that he has behaved well and worked during his time with them.

I know why he 'let things slide' in the last few weeks - he was involved in a music project that he had been working towards all year and he was totally bound up in it and on a bit of a high.

However no harm done.

TBH I was just a bit taken aback and not upset.

cardibach Tue 06-Sep-11 21:49:52

I think balia is right, too. It's probably meant to help him start his GCSE courses in a constructive way. You are sure his distraction last term was due to a short term project: perhaps the HoY is not and wants to help.

Rowena : yes it would be terrible if the school were to nag and support him to the best possible results, wouldn't it? hmm Good results might help the school, but they will help him even more!

Talker2010 Tue 06-Sep-11 22:12:28

It should not be new school year = new start

Year 10 is a vital year and too many children slip backwards early on thinking that they are in new subjects/classes/ks and that they can have a settling in period

Personally I think it is great that the HoY wants to ensure that any slippage at the end of Y9 is not carried over into Y10 and that they want him to "hit the ground running" with his GCSEs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now