Talk

Advanced search

Aibu or a bit pfb?

(131 Posts)
JoannaGlumley Tue 06-Sep-11 16:17:44

My DP flies a microlight and is really pushing to take my DS who is 2.6 up with him. I am not so keen but he's accusing me of being over cautious and pfb so I am after some opinions.
The microlight is just like a very small plane so is enclosed and he wouldn't need a helmet, he would be strapped in. DS has sat in it lots of times and taxied round with the engine off and hasn't seemed bothered. My main problem is that normally he hates loud noises, I can't use the Hoover, hairdryer, blender when he is in the room. It would only be a short flight but I'd worry that if he started kicking off he would distract DP. There also wouldn't be anyone to comfort him.

I also worry that he doesn't really get that the plane he sits in is the same as the planes in the sky so while he can recite the words 'the plane goes up in the clouds' he doesn't understand and it would be a huge huge shock.

So what do you think as I really am being made to feel like a killjoy? And what age would you let your kids go?

I've name changed so I can show this to DP and he can't see my history!!

Mario11 Tue 06-Sep-11 16:18:43

god no wot if he falls and splats

LeBOF Tue 06-Sep-11 16:18:57

No, I wouldn't let him go up at that age. Possibly older, when he's over the loud noises fear, but you have a reasonable safety concern there, IMO.

No sodden way, those things are dangerous.

eurochick Tue 06-Sep-11 16:20:59

The loud noises fear would put me off. And he is still at the "grabby" stage. It would be awful if he touched something he shouldn't while he was up there. When he is older hopefully he will be better with noise and likely to be better at not touching what he shouldn't.

nocake Tue 06-Sep-11 16:21:47

I wouldn't let him go until you're confident that he won't be scared by the loud noise and he's old enough to understand that he can't misbehave while he's in the plane.

ll31 Tue 06-Sep-11 16:21:52

can't imagine why anyone would let 2 yr old do that to be honest

Marymaryalittlecontrary Tue 06-Sep-11 16:22:43

I think you have valid reasons for not wanting him to go up. Why risk it now when it will only be a couple more years before he will be old enough to understand what will happen and old enough to decide himself if he would like to go up?

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 06-Sep-11 16:23:29

Your DP is the pilot and the dad, therefore I think you should trust him. He is aware of his flying abilities. He knows his son. Let your DS go. If he really doesn't like it, his dad can stop and they can get out.

I think you're being a bit PFB.

LetThereBeRock Tue 06-Sep-11 16:24:44

YADNBU.I wouldn't consider it for a minute.

SouthernFriedTofu Tue 06-Sep-11 16:26:32

Um hell to the no.

clam Tue 06-Sep-11 16:26:57

I am the least fussy mother in the world, but I wouldn't behappy about this.

Sorry Mr Glumley!

eaglewings Tue 06-Sep-11 16:32:16

No way would I let a kid that young go, how would his dad handle it if he kicked off?

dirtydishesmakemesad Tue 06-Sep-11 16:34:46

I wouldnt let my two year old. I dont think i am over protective but i would worry.

CurrySpice Tue 06-Sep-11 16:35:15

I am very relaxed mom and was ready to roll my eyes at your PFBishness but christonabike, there's no way I wold let a toddler go up in one of those!!!

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Tue 06-Sep-11 16:38:53

I wouldn't let him go.

He may well not enjoy it. it's very dangerous, and he won't remember it (probably) when he's older. To me, it's akin to allowing a 2.6 year old on a motorbike.

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Tue 06-Sep-11 16:40:51

Good point, from marymary, about him not being old enough to decide whether he wants to go up or not.

atosilis Tue 06-Sep-11 16:43:09

Is that even legal? Maybe they should put warnings for the bleeding obvious - don't take children under 3 in microlights.

Catsmamma Tue 06-Sep-11 16:46:36

i am right in thinking a microlight is one of these glorified hanggliders??

with a shopping basket for the pilot to sit in?

I think YANBU!

dearie me what is he thinking?

RitaMorgan Tue 06-Sep-11 16:48:22

Er, no - it's dangerous, possibly scary for a toddler, and what is your ds going to get out of the experience anyway?

If he was 6 and really keen to do it then maybe, but a 2 year old will barely understand what's going on.

gapants Tue 06-Sep-11 16:48:45

No no no no

EricNorthmansMistress Tue 06-Sep-11 16:53:10

No fucking way. When he's 10, maybe. 2.6? shock No fucking way. I feel vomitous just thinking about Ds up in one sad

iklboo Tue 06-Sep-11 16:53:44

He can't 'just stop & they can get out' though. They're flying around. He'll need tower permission to land. What if the little one kicks off & they're nowhere near a safe landing place?
YANBU. I'd ask your DH to wait until DS is older.

southmum Tue 06-Sep-11 16:55:08

no fookin way, Im also struggling to see what your DS would get out if it and IMO your DP only wants to do it for his own selfish reasons (macho oooh look at me taking my DS up in a paper plane etc etc)

No no and thrice no

schroeder Tue 06-Sep-11 17:00:30

Another definite no from me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now