Talk

Advanced search

to use aibu as need quick slow cooker help!

(19 Posts)
youbethemummylion Tue 06-Sep-11 13:59:46

OMG I 'treated' myself to slow cooker and decided to make OH a suprise curry to prove what an excellent purchase it was! Well I've gone and misread the blooming receipe and put the spinach in at the start instead of stiring through for last 5 mins! It has been on for 2 and a half hours now so don't really think I can take it out now. Do I throw the whole lot away and start again tomorrow so he never knows I cocked up or will it still be edible? Don't really want to waste as the meat and veggies etc obviously cost money!

CardyMow Tue 06-Sep-11 14:02:28

Erm -I'd fish out the spinach while it's still in one piece (it will disintegrate and go slimy otherwise - made the same mistake myself once), then add more in just before serving.

JennyPiccolo Tue 06-Sep-11 14:03:02

Think it will be ok, will prob just didintegrate. I would leave it and see.

Rowena8482 Tue 06-Sep-11 14:03:14

why would you throw it away? spinach isn't poisonous when overcooked though generations of kids might insist it is grin Taste it and see how it is. If it's truly vile, add stuff and see if it's saveable - you can always throw it out if and when all else fails. Try it first though, there's no need to waste it just because the spinach is hopelessly overdone - it'll probably just be a bit soggy. It might even have disintegrated so there's no sign of it.

ShoutyHamster Tue 06-Sep-11 14:03:17

Hmm it will have completely disintegrated but I don't see why it would taste awful! - what I would do is taste it (after 2 plus hours the taste will be as it will be iyswim) - it'll probably be great, in which case you could stir a bit more spinach in at the end OR lots of chopped coriander, if it's terrible, I'm sure others will have lots of suggestions to save it... mine would be, bit of buter or ghee in separate pan, melt, cook up some extra spices especially coriander seeds (total yum) and cumin, and bung them in.

I think it'll be fine though!

ShoutyHamster Tue 06-Sep-11 14:03:33

BUTTER not buter!

JennyPiccolo Tue 06-Sep-11 14:03:34

Didintegrate isnt a word.

Rowena8482 Tue 06-Sep-11 14:04:49

It could be a word Jenny - it did integrate into the curry when it disintegrated grin

CardyMow Tue 06-Sep-11 14:06:49

But it tastes slimy. I have done this, and didn't fish it out, and it was <<Boak>>. DS1 said it tasted like there were slugs in his dinner. I didn't dare ask how he knew what slugs tasted like though...

youbethemummylion Tue 06-Sep-11 14:16:14

Thanks everyone. I think I'll have to leave it in as I don't have any more spinach and if it does indeed taste like slugs (by the look of it this does seem likely) I will have a go and fishing out the slime and stir in some extra curry powder etc and hope for the best. I'm so annoyed at myself for not being able to follow simple instructions I was just so excited with my £9 slow cooker purchase! smile

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 06-Sep-11 14:28:11

i love my slow cooker, it's the best 'gadget' i ever bought.

hope the curry is salvagable

Lilyloo Tue 06-Sep-11 14:29:53

I would fish out any spinach you can see , as it will taste slimy.

Rowena8482 Tue 06-Sep-11 15:03:10

It will only go slimy if the curry has milk (or cream) in it though, it's "the oxalate thing" (which I really really should know the details of after racking up all that student debt for all those years, but have only the vaguest memory of)

SueFlay Tue 06-Sep-11 15:05:24

YABU to stealth boast about a £9 slow cooker purchase grin

youbethemummylion Tue 06-Sep-11 20:27:31

Curry update: I left the spinach in and hoped for the best, it did mostly disintegrate into such small pieces you couldn't taste it or feel its slimyness but the few large slimy bits were truly awful but OH graciously ate them anyway so I think the slow cooker will be allowed to stay!

cerealqueen Tue 06-Sep-11 21:19:17

Hope it all worked out.

More importantly, £9.... where did you buy it??? smile

youbethemummylion Tue 06-Sep-11 21:57:50

ASDA

cerealqueen Thu 08-Sep-11 23:31:38

Thanks!

NestaFiesta Fri 09-Sep-11 09:02:28

Glad it turned out OK OP. I love my slow cooker. I often pout those cubes of frozen spinach in all my slow cooker food and it just looks like herbs. I would only fish spinach out if it was a spinach curry and spinach was the main ingredient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now