Talk

Advanced search

to have left school uniform shopping until today?

(24 Posts)
WonkyDonkeys Tue 06-Sep-11 13:58:27

It appears I am, because everywhere has sold out!

What do I do now?!

HeadfirstForHalos Tue 06-Sep-11 14:03:06

We went last night. ASDA and Tesco had sold out of pretty much everything, but Sainsburys is well stocked if you have one near? There were lots of people buying too!

CardyMow Tue 06-Sep-11 14:04:35

Erm - be more organised? My local Tesco still has stock, but it's only any good if your dc is at a school where the uniform is bog-standard black trousers and white polo top. Unlike MY dc's school that insists on NAVY trousers (which haven't been available all summer in anything above age 9-10) and pale blue polo tops...maybe try Tesco online?

AngryFeet Tue 06-Sep-11 14:05:47

Primark, BHS, Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, google local uniform shops?

AngryFeet Tue 06-Sep-11 14:06:03

But yes be more organised next year!

PuppyMonkey Tue 06-Sep-11 14:06:54

Yabu - clearly.grin

WonkyDonkeys Tue 06-Sep-11 14:09:38

I am organised. He doesn't need his uniform until next week, so why would I need to buy it any sooner? Well, now I know why!

icooksocks Tue 06-Sep-11 14:10:51

YABU-buy uniform at the start of the hols and you get pick of the crop grin

<perfect mother emoticon> grin

borderslass Tue 06-Sep-11 14:12:04

Matalan if you have one usually has loads all year.

WonkyDonkeys Tue 06-Sep-11 14:13:30

icooksocks - and then you're DC's have a growth spurt and end up with shorts instead of trousers grin

WonkyDonkeys Tue 06-Sep-11 14:14:10

Right - Can I get away with 'summer' uniform for this next half term do you think?

RedHelenB Tue 06-Sep-11 14:16:53

Yes!!

cwtch4967 Tue 06-Sep-11 14:17:28

Tesco online - plenty of stockand M&S (free delivery)

WonkyDonkeys Tue 06-Sep-11 14:19:08

Will everyone else be in winter gear though?

WonkyDonkeys Tue 06-Sep-11 14:19:35

Tesco online have nothing... M&S limited

WonkyDonkeys Tue 06-Sep-11 14:20:04

His shorts will still fit him, and polo shirts seem easy enough to get hold of.

inmysparetime Tue 06-Sep-11 14:22:22

M&S have a good stock of uniform. My usual problem is that DS puts holes in the knees of his school trousers almost at the exact moment all school clothes in his size sell out. Luckily this year I got to test uniform for Trutex and also Matalan (thank you MN!grin) so both kids are kitted out in new, big, durable uniform (for a changewink). If you are having trouble finding uniform, put friends and relatives on the case when they're asking about Christmas presents.

inmysparetime Tue 06-Sep-11 14:24:36

I have sometimes had luck getting uniform in charity shops when everywhere else is sold out.
Trutex sell uniform online (shameless plug as they sent me free uniform to testgrin)

Beamur Tue 06-Sep-11 14:24:50

You can get school uniform all year round - most supermarkets have it, lots of places may be out/low on stock now, but there will be more. Online as suggested, plus Next only sell uniform through the Directory now.
I wish I'd left buying DD's gym pumps til later, she's grown an extra half size!

LydiaWickham Tue 06-Sep-11 14:32:53

online definately - try Asda & M&S.

icooksocks Tue 06-Sep-11 14:48:27

Ahh wonky I have overcome that problem too. I just buy it so its too big. If they havent had said growth spurt then its turn ups all the way grin

My poor poor children in ill fitting uniform!! Good job its another few years before they'll actually care!

IwanttobeShirleyValentine Tue 06-Sep-11 14:53:59

I hate the way school uniform is in the shops so bloody early. My kids have grown over the holidays so the stuff I could have bought in June or July with growing room would now fit but without growing room!

I dont think its daft to want to buy school uniform at the start of September. If everyone left it till now it wouldnt be an issue but we are all forced into buying stiuff stupidly early by the shops and supermarkets.

The school uniform will be cleared from the few shops and supermarkets it remains in this week and replaced with christmas cards and decorations and christmas shit!!

I am doing pretty much what I did last year. Noth bothering to replace hardly anything and will do so in the next few weeks. You have to hunbt harder for it but because the shops want the floor space for christmas crap its usually greatly reduced and I will buy it with growing room and it stands more chance of lasting them 2 months longer than the stuff I could have bought in June "on special offer" that never really was a special offer - a bit like a DFS sale!!

HeadfirstForHalos Tue 06-Sep-11 15:15:39

Where the uniform in ASDA was, they had an aisle of halloween consumes etc yesterday hmm

snoopdogg Tue 06-Sep-11 15:33:39

DS2 always has his growth spurt about mid-October so he's in very worn trousers/shorts (if I can persuade him) and polo shirts 'til then. His feet haven't grown since summer term either so fingers crossed his shoes hold out for a few more weeks.

It's a minefield, I hate it.

However, lovely mum gave me two sweatshirts and two badged polo shirts yesterday - saved fortune and they're like new because unlike me she takes care of stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now