Talk

Advanced search

Daughter wants to sleep at friends house two doors down

(73 Posts)
BimboNo5 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:51:33

They are always in and out of each others houses, they are both six. I have said yes but now im wondering if its the wrong thing and worrying about everything that could go wrong.

WoofToYouTooLady Mon 05-Sep-11 18:52:52

presumably the other child's parents are going to be present? In which case embrace the peace grin

usualsuspect Mon 05-Sep-11 18:53:09

what could go wrong?

catsareevil Mon 05-Sep-11 18:54:09

What do you think will go wrong?

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 05-Sep-11 18:54:38

Do it and return the favour.
Win win.

BimboNo5 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:55:04

Fires, people breaking in, what if they dont lock the front door etc etc.

I feel im being neurotic and was the same when she went to her rainbow camp sleepover (the church hall is next to the pub and I kept imaging drunken yobbos storming in)

AIBa total Nob?

curlycat Mon 05-Sep-11 18:55:13

my ds was 6 when he started staying the odd night at his friends house and loved it. the way our houses are angled i could actually see into his friends bedroom. the worst that will happen is you'll get a knock at the door at 3.00am with an overtired dd in her pjs and a grumpy friends mummy!

zukiecat Mon 05-Sep-11 18:55:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BimboNo5 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:56:35

My overactive imagination but I keep thinking what if the kids are on the child protection register and there are serious social concerns? How does anyone know what their neighbours are REALLY like? Argghhh!!

2blessed2bstressed Mon 05-Sep-11 19:00:41

Seriously? I think you're stressing a bit unnecessarily....just a tad.

bucaneve Mon 05-Sep-11 19:00:48

It'll be fine. I always used to sleep at the little girl across the roads house at a similar age. A few times one of us got home sick and went home about 10.30/11ish but it was fine because we only had to cross the road to go home.

BimboNo5 Mon 05-Sep-11 19:01:41

I think I probably am- god knows what im going to be like when shes 15

curlycat Mon 05-Sep-11 19:06:53

my dd is 11 and during the summer i think she hardly spent a night in her own bed but by then you have got to know the other parents pretty well - the worst thing is when it's your turn to have 5 of them at yours!!

exoticfruits Mon 05-Sep-11 19:09:49

If something goes wrong and she has second thoughts it isn't far to collect her.

duckdodgers Mon 05-Sep-11 19:10:44

You want an honest opinion? You are seriously over thinking this and causing yourself a whole lot of unnecessary worry. God help you in the future if this is what you are like about a sleepover a few doors away.

PotteringAlong Mon 05-Sep-11 19:15:13

I think you also need to be careful you don't pass these irrational fears onto your daughter.

She will be fine smile

FabbyChic Mon 05-Sep-11 19:18:09

My son had sleepovers at aged 5!

Cheeseandharps Mon 05-Sep-11 19:18:27

It depends how reliable the friend's parents are. DD went on sleepovers at that age and was fine. If the parents have never given you cause to doubt them, then don't overthink it and let her go, she'll probably have a great time.

ragged Mon 05-Sep-11 19:21:06

You have to go on gut feelings; if your gut feelings say that the other family are fine then you should go with that.

Fires, people breaking in, what if they dont lock the front door...kids are on the child protection register

Does that kind of thing happen a lot on your road? wink

BimboNo5 Mon 05-Sep-11 19:27:38

Of course it doesnt and I know im totally overthinking it but shes so precious to me i'd hate anything to happen that I could have prevented.

When she went on her first school trip I thought what if she runs away, what if the teachers dont watch her what if what if what if oh dear blush

CheerfulYank Mon 05-Sep-11 19:33:07

Yes, YABU and neurotic, but I'm sure I'll have a few twinges when DS starts going on sleepovers. smile He's 4 and has slept over at various relative's houses but never a friend's.

2shoes Mon 05-Sep-11 19:34:48

yabu, but sweet
she will be fine and have a great time,
or be home at 10 as she is homesick

CamperFan Mon 05-Sep-11 19:59:53

Agree with ragged, and presumably if they are in and out of your houses anyway, then you know the other family well anyway? She will be fine.

LeBOF Mon 05-Sep-11 20:02:28

You can't say it's about how precious she is to you- do you think that less stressy parents just don't give a shit? Seriously, this level

LeBOF Mon 05-Sep-11 20:03:55

(pressed post by accident)

...of anxiety is a problem you should address, or you will end up depriving your daughter of valuable experiences and the opportunity to develop independence normally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now