Talk

Advanced search

to think Eat, Pray, Love is a pile of self indulgent dross?

(91 Posts)
AtYourCervix Mon 05-Sep-11 17:22:02

Admittedly I have not watched it more than 5 minutes here and there but fuck me, it is irritating and shite is it not?

HeidiKat Mon 05-Sep-11 17:24:29

I haven't actually seen the film but from what I have seen of the trailer I agree. I am not a fan of Julia Roberts though so maybe I am prejudiced.

heleninahandcart Mon 05-Sep-11 17:30:49

Just the advertising blurb was enough for me to want to run.

YANBU

PreviouslyonLost Mon 05-Sep-11 17:32:58

The book was dross, therefore not even tempted to watch film...YANBU

lachesis Mon 05-Sep-11 17:33:27

Yes, it's very irritating.

Julia Roberts, however, is beyond irritating.

I couldn't stand even 5 minutes of her.

Whatmeworry Mon 05-Sep-11 17:33:55

The book was....well... not aimed at peopel like me grin

MrsBuntyCuldeSacPariah2 Mon 05-Sep-11 17:34:26

Yanbu. It's nauseating crap.

lachesis Mon 05-Sep-11 17:34:36

And yes, the book was dross, too. Rich gal gets bored, writes book. BFD.

She wrote another one, too, about how she had to marry her Brazilian boyfriend for immigration reasons.

Poor soul, she's really had it rough. Not.

silverfrog Mon 05-Sep-11 17:35:43

the book was awful

even worse, I had to read it for a book club I was in (so had to finish it, even thugh it was shite), and then had ot sit for an evening listening to everyone else gush about how much they had loved it hmm

I drank much wine that evening grin

heleninahandcart Mon 05-Sep-11 17:36:17

I have not see the sodding Notebook either. Also sounds like a lot of over sentimental tosh.

BananaMontana Mon 05-Sep-11 17:37:28

My god, I'm surprised you even managed that long.
I have never even picked up that book, it looks like it embodies an attitude to life which I heartily despise. grin

Whatmeworry Mon 05-Sep-11 17:39:05

I had to read it for a book club I was in (so had to finish it, even thugh it was shite), and then had ot sit for an evening listening to everyone else gush about how much they had loved it

That's abuse that is grin

lachesis Mon 05-Sep-11 17:39:18

I have not seen anything with Julia-cheating-other-woman-ho-three-dick-gob.

MrsBuntyCuldeSacPariah2 Mon 05-Sep-11 17:40:22

One of the other most irritating, cliched films I've seen in a similar genre was 'Under a Tuscan Sun'. Unforgettably bad.
I did however quite enjoy The Notebook blush

ExpatAgain Mon 05-Sep-11 17:40:36

i liked the book, agree that it was self-indulgent but that WAS the point, she was exploring herself - her appetite, spirituality and relationships..Lucky her, indeed, to have the money/freedom to take off late mid-30s when most of us are knee-deep in kids/jobs/life/mortgage ..but in spite of that, she came up with an insightful, curious book. I HATE the film however, that killed it..

anonacfr Mon 05-Sep-11 17:42:40

I read an interview by the author before the book came out and she was so up herself and in love with her own 'wisdom' that it completely put me off the book.
Then I saw that Julia Roberts was cast in the film version... Need I say more?

Btw am I right in thinking author left her husband and kids to go find herself around the world?

TrillianAstra Mon 05-Sep-11 17:46:18

Did you know we have a Movie reviews area?

And YABU to call a film a "pile" of self-indulgent dross after only 5 minutes. 5 minutes is hardly a pile. 5 minutes is a smidgen of self-indulgent dross, a soupçon of self-indulgent dross.

lachesis Mon 05-Sep-11 17:50:32

'Btw am I right in thinking author left her husband and kids to go find herself around the world?'

No, she left her husband. She was too self-absorbed and emotionally immature to have children (thankfully, she never has and her current husband had adult children and was sterilised, which she told everyone in the book).

The ex h is probably thanking his lucky stars he had such a narrow escape.

eurochick Mon 05-Sep-11 17:58:12

I thought the book was self-indulgent tripe. I wanted to beat her about the head with her own sense of self by the end of it. Not seen the film. And I don't intend to.

MadamDeathstare Mon 05-Sep-11 18:02:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

momnipotent Mon 05-Sep-11 18:03:59

Self-indulgent dross indeed. I read the book, I imagine the movie is much worse. I actually read the entire book because I couldn't believe the drivel I was reading was what everyone was raving about, so I was looking for the good bit. Anytime anyone started going on about how fabulous it was, I had to concentrate extremely hard on keeping my eyes facing forward and not upwards.

ChristinedePizan Mon 05-Sep-11 18:12:52

OMG I have never read such a pile of navel-gazing self-indulgent shit in all my life. I only read it because someone I love and adore told me it was wonderful. I kept going to the end in horrid fascination, much like you do if you turn on an episode of some gruesome real-life docu-soap

minkymum1 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:14:08

reeeally glad that so many people feel that the book is nausea inducing - was worried I was missing something from the meaning of life and purchased it recently - have tried several times to wade through first few chapters in attempt to connect with the millions of women reported to have read it and changed their lives because of it - don't get it. self indulgent and rediculous. and don't even start on the film....

birdsofshoreandsea Mon 05-Sep-11 18:16:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NormanTebbit Mon 05-Sep-11 18:21:04

There is only one film I would like to watch even less - mamma mia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now