Talk

Advanced search

School shoes - warning PFB content!

(25 Posts)
Piffpaffpoff Mon 05-Sep-11 11:45:15

DS has been at school for 2.5 weeks now in P1. His shoes are falling to bits already. They have a rubber 'bumper' round the toes and the stitching round the edge is coming away and bits of the edge of the bumper have come off.

AIBU to go back to the shop and complain, in the hope of getting them replaced? It's a really nice independent shoe shop and the shoes were not cheap. Or do I just notch this one up to experience and get a cheaper pair next time in the knowledge that they will get trashed. Because this is the first time I've had to deal with school shoes I just don't know what's normal. I don't want to go into the shop and for them to think I'm a total basketcase for even thinking shoes should be a bit more robust.

Callisto Mon 05-Sep-11 11:46:51

It depends how much you spent on them. If DD's £38 Clarks fell to pieces in under three weeks I would certainly take them back.

worraliberty Mon 05-Sep-11 11:46:59

I'd take them back.

I know kids wear their shoes out quickly but 2.5 weeks is taking the pee.

Rowena8482 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:47:23

Kids kill shoes! one of the sad sad mysteries of life, and utterly inexplicable. Our record was DD left home at 8.20am in brand new shoes, and half way home at 3.30pm we had to abandon them because they dropped to bits so badly confused

elphabadefiesgravity Mon 05-Sep-11 11:47:25

Sounds about right for certain brands eg Clarks but not for makes like Start-Rite, Buckle My Shoe or Ricosta.

I would take them back and complain they are not "fit for purpose" under the Trades Descriptions Act.

YouDoTheMath Mon 05-Sep-11 11:47:39

What Callisto said

worraliberty Mon 05-Sep-11 11:47:42

Even if they were cheap, they have to be fit for purpose and unless he's run a marathon in them, it sounds like they're not.

Alambil Mon 05-Sep-11 11:48:23

take them back, definitely.

DS's shoes all lasted and had plenty of life in them; they only needed changing almost every term because his feet grew, which was slightly annoying!

ShatnersBassoon Mon 05-Sep-11 11:49:52

Take them back and get a replacement in a different style. The shop assistant won't bat an eyelid.

Insomnia11 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:50:09

Start-Rite are not a cheap brand. DD's recent shoes were more expensive than Clarks. I'd take anything back if it fell apart that quickly, no matter where I bought it. It isn't fit for purpose.

eaglewings Mon 05-Sep-11 11:50:55

Ricosta last my DS over a year if his feet dont grow too much

Piffpaffpoff Mon 05-Sep-11 11:51:31

Thanks all, it's times like this I love Mumsnet. Calisto, they were more than that, £44 I think! Right, off up to shoe shop after school then.

elphabadefiesgravity Mon 05-Sep-11 11:52:10

Think you misinterpreted me.

I will only buy Start-Rite becasue they are far more hardwearing than Clarks which in my limited expewrience (never again will dd have Clarks) fall to bit after a short time.

elphabadefiesgravity Mon 05-Sep-11 11:53:10

Dd generally goes up half a size per year. Clarks generally last her 2 months if we are lucky. Start-Rite 12 months, the other brands about 6-8 months

phatcat Mon 05-Sep-11 11:56:56

Geox are the answer!

Piffpaffpoff Mon 05-Sep-11 11:57:08

His last two pairs of shoes, from same shop, have lasted about 8 months each.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 05-Sep-11 11:57:28

ds shoes never last long, i have bought all makes from cheap shoes to clarks to right start, by half term he will need new shoes i actually bought 2 pairs at the begining of term because i knew he will scrap his shoes, play football, ect

Poledra Mon 05-Sep-11 11:59:27

I posted something similar when the zip on DD2's winter boots broke after a couple of months. Most people said take 'em back, so I did (politely) and the shop replaced them. Worth a bash.

As an aside, it did out me on here to a friend, as she'd replied to my thread, then I started telling her about it when I saw her grin <waves to sundew, if she's about>

Mitmoo Mon 05-Sep-11 11:59:34

TAKE them back op not fit for purpose.

silverfrog Mon 05-Sep-11 12:04:17

oh, the dreaded school shoes!

dd1 is admittedly hard wearing on her shoes. we always but ecco, start rite etc. when she has non-school shoes form these brands, they last 8 months to a year (depending on growth); when we buy her school shos, they last 6-8 weeks.

ime, school shoes are not as well made as non-schol shoes, even in the "better" brands.

we thankfully have a lovely independent shop, who happily send her shoes back as "not fit for purpose". for the last couple of years she has been at a SN school wehre they didn't care what shoes she wore, so we have been able to buy coloured/decorated ecco or start rite, and have had decent wear out of them. she is staring this week at another SN school, and needs school shoes - I have already warned the shop that if htey wear out in stupid time we will be back for exchange (could only fit her in start rites, which are the brand we have had mst trouble with for school shoes...)

dd2's school shoes are ricosta, I think. they don't look as hard wearing as the (pink) start rites she is just coming out of, but only time will tell!

DeWe Mon 05-Sep-11 13:55:49

I took some doodles back to Clarks when after 6 weeks the stitching was coming undone. They replaced it without a second thought. I'd take them back.

biddysmama Mon 05-Sep-11 13:57:47

i'd take them back... ds1's record was putting a new pair of shoes on,walking out the front door,tripping on the bar and scuffing them pretty badly hmm

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 05-Sep-11 14:01:30

I've returned a couple of pairs of Clarks over the years, with no problem at all.

Ds is almost 11 now and only wears Clarks - so that's two pairs of many.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 05-Sep-11 17:00:26

Well I took them back and they gave me a new (different) pair but not without a bit of questioning ('what is the playground made of?'). Let's see how long this pair lasts!

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Mon 05-Sep-11 17:24:36

Glad you got it sorted. I would have taken them back as well.
DS1 started p1 the same time and his Start-Rite's still look good they are supposed to be anti scuff and they appear to be living up to their name and DS1 is hard on shoes.
DD is worse and hers are immaculate they are a continental brand and they will be my first choice for her again she wrecks shoes but these look fresh out the box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now