Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to consider taking my 8 week old dd to doctors

(24 Posts)
BlueKangaroo22 Mon 05-Sep-11 08:39:41

I'm worried about her but im not sure whether i should be
basically she is sick quite a lot, yesterday on 2 occassions it was pretty much projectile, the first time it came out fast and quite a lot of it. and it happened again last night, both of these times it tends to be about an hour after she has finished her feed.
Today she is still being sick, not projectile, but little and fairly often.

I know I shouldn't ask here first, but should I consider taking her to get checked over or is this normal, the sick does just appear to be regurgitated milk, it isn't red or anything like that.

BlueKangaroo22 Mon 05-Sep-11 08:41:48

Oh and i should add she seems fine otherwise, kicking around, gurgling, winging at the moment cause i just put her back down lol

minko Mon 05-Sep-11 08:43:04

In my experience the doctor will never begrudge you an appointment with an 8 week old. Get her checked over, for your own peace of mind.

minko Mon 05-Sep-11 08:43:43

Oh and make sure she doesn't get dehydrated...

PickleSarnie Mon 05-Sep-11 08:44:10

Is she still having plenty of wet nappies? If so, then she's managing to keep fluids in. Does she appear ill?

My DS was a puker. He was sick about 20-30 times a day and it seemed like everything he drunk came back up again but it almost certainly looks like more than it actually is. Grew out of it once he was on solids and now I no longer constantly smell of sick which is nice.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 05-Sep-11 08:46:33

Mine was a puker as well, apparently it runs in DH's family not that he told me that before he got me pregnant.

If she's having wet and dirty nappies she's fine. Is she bf or ff, though? Because if it's the latter, it's possible that there's a lactose intolerance. Otherwise, I think you've just got one like mine. Hopefully it'll wear off sooner than it did for DD.

(Yes, serious lactose allergies manifest with bf babies as well, but almost all babies can tolerate human breastmilk, less can tolerate cow's milk formula).

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Mon 05-Sep-11 08:48:25

My oldest used to be sick 6 times a day at that age. I did take mine to the doctor but they just thought I was a worrying mum. Got told it would go by the time she was weaned. She was put on Gaviscon at 3 months and told it was reflux.

Weaning came and went and it was still there and only slightly better. I explained that she was emptying her stomach and that it was a huge amount, she was also not putting on weight so they should have taken more notice.

She was finally referred to a paed at . . . 3 years! (I saw a different dr who actually took it seriously) They did blood test and asked loads of questions. They suggested putting her on a dairy free diet for a while to see if it helped and she was cured! Stayed on dairy free diet for 3 months, reintroduced the dairy after that and there were no further problems!

Couldn't believe it . . . 3 years of worry and vomiting for something so simple.

So yes I say take her to the doctor. Wasn't sure from your post though if she has always vomited or if she has just got a bug these last few days. If it's the last few days I wouldn't worry too much but probably should take her to the dr just because she's so young.

MalibuStac Mon 05-Sep-11 08:49:59

She could have reflux my dd was very sickly. My gp was great and we got ranitadine medicine to calm the acid down. Hope she's ok.

pineapple70 Mon 05-Sep-11 08:54:18

She's probably fine but if you don't go you'll be worried, so you should definitely make an appointment.

Punkatheart Mon 05-Sep-11 08:55:55

It could be reflux but my DD had a lot of ear infections - she projectile vomited with that. No harm in getting it checked out.

SmethwickBelle Mon 05-Sep-11 09:02:03

I'd be thinking about a docs appointment in your position. Its probably nowt but its always better to get a medical opinion than worry about it. Hope she's OK.

BlueKangaroo22 Mon 05-Sep-11 09:07:41

yeah she has wet nappies, poos once a day (which ive been told is normal) shes stopped being sick at the moment she is having a little nap lol smile thanks for the advice guys

Zimm Mon 05-Sep-11 10:17:14

Sounds perfectly normal but take her all the same just to put your mind at rest.

hels71 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:35:56

My doc has always said they would rather see a baby or small child and tell you it was nothing than not see them and it be serious....I would say go to the doc!

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 05-Sep-11 11:38:45

Taking small baies to the dr is a rite of passage, they almost expect it. As others have said, any decent dr would much rather you take them and be sure everything is ok.

pozzled Mon 05-Sep-11 11:39:30

Take her to put your mind at rest, but it probably is nothing. My DD1 was quite sicky as a baby, the first couple of times I found it really alarming as she seemed to bring so much up. But she grew out of it around weaning time and never seemed bothered by it at all.

gallicgirl Mon 05-Sep-11 11:39:30

Seriously go and get it checked out. It might be nothing but if it's reflux or a dairy intolerance it could get worse.

My DD has reflux and I just struggled along for ages because I thought it was normal for babies to throw up that much. The stress of feeding her really spoiled those first few months.

If it's nothing, the doctor really won't mind.

RitaMorgan Mon 05-Sep-11 11:44:23

Tortoise - think you might be mixing up lactose intolerance and cow's milk protein intolerance? CMP intolerance is pretty common, lactose intolerance is very rare and a lactose intolerant baby would be very seriously ill whether fed breastmilk or formula.

wfrances Mon 05-Sep-11 11:46:43

all my babies had to have wysoy on prescription because they were so sick.

Mishy1234 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:46:53

Sounds relatively normal to me, especially as she is fine and bright in other ways.

However, I wouldn't think you were being unreasonable to go to the GP. IME they are more than happy to see young babies.

mousymouse Mon 05-Sep-11 11:50:13

yes, if you are worried take her.
even though to me (mother of a happy puker) it sound fairly normal.
we had one projectile every day or two or so and posset all the time until about 6 months old.
does she have plenty of wet/soilded nappies?
good weight gain?
despite the constant vomiting, my ds was a whopper as a baby!

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 05-Sep-11 12:47:46

Thanks, Rita, that's exactly the clarification I needed! I was trying to say that babies on formula are more likely to have intolerances to the ingredients than breastfed babies but not remembering the terminology. I get confused because DD does have a mild intolerance to cow's milk, which we get around by giving her lactose-free dairy. So it's the form of lactose in the cow's milk, I suppose?

Incidentally, her early puking can't have had anything to do with that because she was ebf. She was always happy and put on weight brilliantly, so I never worried.

RitaMorgan Mon 05-Sep-11 13:27:11

No probs, loads of GPs seem to not know the difference either or think that you can cut out lactose from your own diet to remove the lactose in breastmilk hmm

Maybe the proteins in lactose free dairy are broken down too? Formulas for dairy intolerant babies have hydrolised (broken down) proteins which are easier to digest.

biddysmama Mon 05-Sep-11 14:39:00

when i was a new mum and apologised to my dr for taking ds1 in again he said he would rather i took the baby in and it turn out to be nothing than not take him in because i didnt want to be a pita and it turn out to be something?

im pg with baby 4 now and i would take a baby to the dr for that (none of mine have done it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now