Talk

Advanced search

to think this woman was quite odd?

(17 Posts)
winnybella Sun 04-Sep-11 21:14:18

We went to the park with DP and DD this afternoon. We were sitting by the sandpit. There was a woman sitting nearby with an about 8 month old playing with sand. All of the sudden she come to us and asked us if we had water as she had to make up the bottle for her dc. We looked as sometimes we have small bottles of water lurking in the basket under the stroller but we only found on, half-full bottle. So we said sorry, we haven't got any and she asked for this bottle shock. So I said that I'm not sure when it was opened and who drunk from it (i.e. me, DD or DP) and she still wanted it! So I said that I'm not sure it's a good idea to give it to the baby and she said "really, do you think so?" and seemed totally unconvinced confused

So am AIBU for thinking it's very strange to want to give your baby bottle of old water from which a stranger have drunk?

winnybella Sun 04-Sep-11 21:16:43

she came to us, not come hmm

KlingersOnTheStarboardBow Sun 04-Sep-11 21:17:30

Yanbu.

Yuck and your right, very odd.

southeastastra Sun 04-Sep-11 21:18:12

what happened next? it's a bit strange yes but perhaps she was just lonely and wanted to talk to someone

MonsterBookOfTysons Sun 04-Sep-11 21:22:51

Rather unhygienic. hmm

MrsRhettButler Sun 04-Sep-11 21:23:50

Did you see her use it?

DoingAMonica Sun 04-Sep-11 21:25:47

wellllll..... said baby had probably just been eating sand that 15, 0000 children and dogs had weed in over the past 6 months so your bottle of water was positively sterile in comparison. However to demand a half used bottle from a complete stranger was probably a bit weird.

smearedinfood Sun 04-Sep-11 21:26:47

Maybe she didn't want to go home for some reason..sad

HalfTermHero Sun 04-Sep-11 21:28:25

I would guess that she wanted to drink it herself and was making up the bit about needing it for the baby. Nuts either way and most odd behaviour.

winnybella Sun 04-Sep-11 21:30:19

No, I didn't give it to her. She went away and rinsed a bottle with something (I'm guessing it was a juice because it looked a bit yellow and if she had water she would't have asked us) and then DP realised that there are taps in the park (we're in Paris) and directed her to one. She left the child in the sandpit (admittedly tap wasn't more than 30 meters away) and filled her bottle and made up the formula and gave it to her dc.

She then stayed for at least another hour, walking with him, playing etc. She did seem a bit lonely, she caught my eye quite a few times and then came with her dc to where we were sitting by the side of the sandpit on two occasions (but the dc had other ideas and would crawl away so she went after him). Later she talked to one other mum for a bit.

Just odd.

winnybella Sun 04-Sep-11 21:36:09

DoingAMonica- sure, but there seems a difference between letting your child taste a bit of sand and giving him water from a bottle that a stranger has drunk from.

And DD has a staph infection at the moment- I mean I wouldn't give her the bottle anyway and I remembered about the staph only afterwards, but there you have one reason why it wouldn't be a good idea.

Of course I didn't mind the fact that she asked for water! I would happily give her one if we had unopened one.

But, really, you wouldn't mind your DC sharing a bottle with some strange bloke?

winnybella Sun 04-Sep-11 21:37:23

there seems to be a difference...

winnybella Sun 04-Sep-11 21:38:53

I would have happily given her one...

Jesus, what's happening to my English hmm

MumblingRagDoll Sun 04-Sep-11 21:40:41

It IS odd...but some people are odd...no two ways about it. I have a friend who thinks nothing of letting her child of 10 months wander a big distance from her in parks, eating muck and caterpillars all the way...but then won't let him play in ball pits because they're dirty.

UKSky Sun 04-Sep-11 21:43:02

So she did in fact want the water to make up a bottle (as you say later in your post she got water from the tap to make up the bottle). Perhaps she had just forgotten to bring some. Up to you whether you give it to her or not but she was not being odd for asking.

winnybella Sun 04-Sep-11 21:44:55

No, she was not odd for ASKING. She was odd for insisting on taking the bottle after I told her that it was a)old and b) I wasn't sure who has drunk from it (me, DD or DP)

TastyMuffins Sun 04-Sep-11 21:49:38

Eww yucky! Cooled boiled water should be used for making up bottles not bottled mineral water or unboiled tap water let alone a bottle of water that she doesn't know who has drunk out of it.

Besides that, it seems a bit rude to insist on it no one should ask you to give your bottle of water away if it isn't an emergency and you have said no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now