Talk

Advanced search

to worry that my DS will lack male rolemodels in his life?

(6 Posts)
bigredtractor Fri 02-Sep-11 20:45:07

I've been mulling this over for a while, but today's report into the % of male teachers and nursery workers made me feel quite sad as it is unlikely that many boys will meet male teachers until secondary school.

In our family we are quite female-heavy (for want of a better phrase!)- our DS has 3 aunties, no uncles, his dad (my DH) and one grandad. His nursery has a male chef, but no staff.

AIBU to think that we might have to seek out some additional male rolemodels for DS as he grows older? But where to find them? He may enjoy sport but we want him to try all sorts of activites and decide for himself. Sport would be an easy-win for other male influence, but where else? My experiences of the arts (mainly music) have been quite female-dominated.

I should add that DH is an excellent dad and will be a solid rolemodel, I'm sure!

joruth Fri 02-Sep-11 21:29:20

does DH and do you have other male friends?......you could try them in a "godfather" role....even without the "God" bit....ask them to share their lives with him in specific ways ( eg if one is scientist ask him to spend 2-3 days each year with DS in science museum or similar...) friend did this when DH died and has worked well...her son has "sporty", "intellectual" and "arty" men involved in his life...can only be good.

MmmmmCake Fri 02-Sep-11 21:34:20

if he has a strong influence in his father, or grandfather, he will be fine

Whatmeworry Fri 02-Sep-11 21:45:26

A dad is fine for the first 16 or so years IMO, but he will probably meet lots if he does sports (with volunteer dads), hobbies, music ( one of my kids had a totally groovy male teacher), scouts etc.

bigredtractor Fri 02-Sep-11 21:53:12

True... But (and this is my assumption) it would be a shame if they were mainly sports-related.

Then again, volunteer dads, coaches etc. involved in activities are likely to have a mixture of backgrounds, careeres, etc.

Without wanting to out myself, both DH and I work in sport, so we'll have to work twice as hard to give DS a mix of other activities too!

PigletJohn Fri 02-Sep-11 22:11:30

IMO Scouts are better than sports. Role modelling is seen as important, as it teaching citizenship and life skills. At footy he might just learn to take a dive and winning at all costs is all that matters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now