Talk

Advanced search

To think its odd to make a sibling a godparent

(18 Posts)
hoovercraft Fri 02-Sep-11 19:28:04

Or doesnt it matter...? Its is odd isnt it, or am I just the odd one?

TheFeministsWife Fri 02-Sep-11 19:29:20

I don't know really, I suppose it depends on the age gap?

luvviemum Fri 02-Sep-11 19:30:38

Don't think it's odd at all - think it's very nice actually

maresedotes Fri 02-Sep-11 19:31:39

I don't think it's odd - I know a woman who is her brother's godmother (12 years age gap). My mum and dad are my godparents (ran out of people to ask by the time I came along - youngest of 4) and I think that's a little 'different'!

worraliberty Fri 02-Sep-11 19:32:11

My favourite Aunt is my God Mother

Years ago (particularly in Irish families) it was the norm.

worraliberty Fri 02-Sep-11 19:32:57

Oh wait a minute...

Do you mean a sibling of the parents or of the child being christened?

TidyDancer Fri 02-Sep-11 19:38:25

My Godparents are my aunt and a friend of my mums. I am Godmother to a friend's child, to my niece and also to DP's half sister's DD

I don't think it's weird at all to make a sibling a Godparent. If my two were to be Christened, it would be predominently siblings up for the job.

hoovercraft Fri 02-Sep-11 19:40:04

sorry yes, the child's sibling

slightlymad72 Fri 02-Sep-11 19:42:07

I am godmother to my sister (she's 19 years younger).

hoovercraft Fri 02-Sep-11 19:43:28

My brother and sister are 10 and 16 years younger than me and Id find it odd

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Fri 02-Sep-11 19:48:45

2 of my cousins are their little sisters godparents. There is and 17 and 18 year (or 18/19 can't remember) age gap.
To be honest I think it is a great idea as they are such close family they will be more able to fulfill their religious obligations to the child in the way the family want.

Fuctifano Fri 02-Sep-11 19:52:55

When you consider the role of a godparent that is; to uphold the faith that the parents have began to introduce to the child in the event of their being unable to to continue. Or support the parents and help celibrate with the child their growth, spiritual or otherwise, then a sibling who is old enough to understand and importantly WANT that role would be a very natural choice. They would be in a wonderful position to pass on not only religious values but also family traditions and memories.

TidyDancer Fri 02-Sep-11 19:55:36

Oh right, I see what you mean now. One of my friends is Godmother to her little sister, who is 18 years younger her. The other Godparent is a brother, who is 16 years older than his sister/Goddaughter.

I think it's nice! smile

mistressploppy Fri 02-Sep-11 19:55:44

I would think it odd, but then I'm not from a religious background and don't REALLY understand the proper role of godparents - I just see it either as a way of honouring a close friend, or making a formal 'if we die you're raising our child' sort of statement.

squeezemebakingpowder Fri 02-Sep-11 20:00:25

My sister is my godmother, but she is 17 years older than me!

larakitten Fri 02-Sep-11 20:05:46

My sister is one of my DDs three godparents. We wanted a representative from both our familes to do this role - I only have one sibling so she was asked to do it. Didn't think it was odd, still dont!

hoovercraft Fri 02-Sep-11 20:09:01

Not the parents siblin lara , the child's

lifeisa4letterword Fri 02-Sep-11 20:47:04

Really annoyed with Fucti as she said exactly what I wanted to say, only better & earlier. B!TCH

PS. Learn to spell "celebrate" - that makes me feel much better...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now