Talk

Advanced search

Should DS have 8th birthday presents the day before his birthday?

(8 Posts)
PegPolkadot Fri 02-Sep-11 18:58:22

We are going to Alton Towers as a treat on the actual day so DH says he should have them the day before. DH has only booked his birthday off work so will miss him getting enjoyment out of his presents (?!), plus thinks he won't want to go out for the day. We cant really postpone the day out as we have agreed to meet family there and it is arranged. AIBU to say no- he should wait?

His main present is an itouch which he is desperate for and will want to play with. I am thinking as a compromise he could perhaps have it day before but leave all his other presents until his birthday.

It somehow feels wrong to me.

hillyhilly Fri 02-Sep-11 19:00:16

I think only the day itself is your birthday, could he not play with the ipod touch in the car on the way there and back? (you'd have to charge/load it).
Otherwise, just make sure he's up super early!

BimboNo5 Fri 02-Sep-11 19:04:13

Im confused as to why going to Alton Towers means he cant open his presents? Surely it takes seconds to open presents, not a matter of hours! As an aside what day are you going- im off there Tuesday!

GypsyMoth Fri 02-Sep-11 19:05:56

Good lord no!!!

Kinda sets a precedent doesn't it? What if, god forbid, his birthday ever falls on a schoolday?!

Redazzy Fri 02-Sep-11 19:10:18

My ds has his 8th birthday on the day he starts back at school. I actually did consider the idea of giving him his presents the day before but I have a real problem with not doing it on the actual day. It just seems so pandering and precious. My ds will be starting school with a seriously heavy heart thinking sadly of the lego that he has to leave behind unassembled but will have it to look forward to when he gets home. The itouch is actually a bit easier because it can be played with on the way to and from Alton Towers.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 02-Sep-11 19:12:54

No way, otherwise where's the cut off. Open on the day or even the day after but certainly not before. And tbh if he wants to play with the presents and not go to Alton Towers then you've not only saved yourself some money and hassle but you're obviously giving him too much wink

ChippingIn Fri 02-Sep-11 19:17:01

I don't think there's anything wrong with him getting the itouch (lucky little monkey) the day before in the same way we all get presents not on the day for various reasons. I'd keep all the others though so he still has pressies to open.

I don't see the point in upsetting him by either making him wait until after or rushing it in the morning - it must be very exciting to be 8 & getting a itouch why spoil it?

PegPolkadot Fri 02-Sep-11 19:24:41

Poor DS2's birthday (5) was on a school day and I somehow managed to get him to choose one present to open before school and the rest when he got home.

We will set off at about 9.15 so could have an hour to play with it before we go if we get up early.

We are going on Monday- hoping there won't be as many people there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now